Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter 2020

George BM

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The forecast for the CO front range is mind-boggling.  90s on Monday, and a snowstorm on Tuesday.  The Euro has a 40 degree drop in 6 hours at Boulder.  

Yeah I didn't think that would quite play out as the Euro was depicting a couple days ago, but it seems pretty likely now. The other globals have moved toward the idea of really digging that trough and closing it off, although still some disagreement on exact location.

My call is the foothills west of Denver get clocked pretty good with heavy wet snow, and in Denver proper there will be some snow but it will struggle to accumulate with marginal temps and warm ground, with several days in the 80s and 90s leading in.

Going from 60s to snow is one thing...90s? lol

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like my oldest daughter ( senior in HS) will have to do all  her dual enrollment classes all from her phone as best as she can for the rest of the year.  Wifi too hit and miss on her laptop.  Her phone cuts out too but is better overall.  What a  joke:axe: . She's already frustrated. My youngest starts Tuesday.  She went to her friend's house for a couple hours 1 day but her friends classes are at different times.

That's awful. Shouldn't be that hard to do school work. Last spring during the shut down our wifi was a mess.Hopefully there back in school quickly and safely.

I have a 5th and 1st grader and we enrolled them in a program where they both attended nursery school at. They help them log in to their zoom classes and provide assistance if they need it. My daughter (the 5th grader ) is fairly self sufficient but My son ( 1st grader) pretty much needs someone helping him throughout the day. My wife works from home but it really wasn't feasable for her to do her job and also be a teacher to our kids so we hesitantly signed them up for the program. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like my oldest daughter ( senior in HS) will have to do all  her dual enrollment classes all from her phone as best as she can for the rest of the year.  Wifi too hit and miss on her laptop.  Her phone cuts out too but is better overall.  What a  joke:axe: . She's already frustrated. My youngest starts Tuesday.  She went to her friend's house for a couple hours 1 day but her friends classes are at different times.

You sure it's the wi-fi? Or is it the actual internet connection. Wireless connections are usually very reliable as long as you are solidly in range of the AP.  

33 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely the wifi . My last 3 houses all have had minimal signals . Usually 1 bar occasionally 2 bar and the quality of the signal has also been mediocre even when a booster is used . The price us far out burbs people pay lol. 

We have had issues when there are so many devices pulling on the Wi-Fi. Have you tryed turning off the Wi-Fi to anything not being used? That has seemed to help us.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I've tried all the tricks B)

Have you looked into a mesh WiFi system? I had issues here at Deep Creek with dead zones in the house especially in the basement or top floor away from the router. Ever since we installed the mesh system, we’ve had no issues. And we are heavy users of the system (work from home, only stream TV, devices, etc). 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely the wifi . My last 3 houses all have had minimal signals . Usually 1 bar occasionally 2 bar and the quality of the signal has also been mediocre even when a booster is used . The price us far out burbs people pay lol. 

Oh gotcha. Thought you were talking about a LAN wi-fi connection, like there was an issue with her laptop network card.

I am lucky here, The CO in Greensboro has DSL, and I am right at the wire mile limit, so I can can get a whopping 1.6 Mbps. At some point I will go to cellular but the DSL is cheap. I have to to pay a fee to keep the land line active to use it though.

Speaking of the crazy weather coming to Denver and environs, I am in northern Wyoming right now and would actually love to stay to see the snow on the mountains here on Monday/Tuesday, but my dad insists we get out of here ahead of it, so.... Anyone want to do some forecasting for the best way to drive back to DC from northern Wyoming? Can leave anytime starting early on Labor Day/tomorrow. My preference is to take I-90, but looking at the GFS and the NAM I'm not sure how far across South Dakota we can get before the precip starts drifting in. Could instead start off southeastward to I-80 and make it across Nebraska in dry weather, but the stuff around Iowa on Tuesday is vexxing me. Should I dip further south into Missouri? Or will the Iowa stuff be more spotty in the morning on Tuesday (would probably be into Illinois by noon, maybe?)

Actually now wishing we could get out of here today because the smoke from the Montana fires has started pouring in, and even inside I'm already coughing. 

It's a paradise out here, I tell you!

So I am planning a family trip to Bonzai pipeline December.  We are all learning to surf and we want to try out the winter swell in Hawaii!  

My questions are this:

What are the chances that the lift the 14 day quarantine travel ban by then?  

If the ban is still in place, how enforceable is it?  I see people getting arrested, but it looks like that is mostly idiots who post pictures of themselves on the beach on their twitter accounts.  Noone in our family has social media.. I have a strict rule against facebook/ twitter because I am afraid that I would say something dumb and get fired from my jobs.

For anyone who has been to Hawaii in the winter, are their places you can go that are manageable (ie 4-6 feet) when places like pipeline are firing off 10 plus?

What are the chances I can chase elevation snow?

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Some modeling coming in  colder for Denver for tomorrow. Areas just west with a bit more elevation should get crushed decent .I thought about chasing but I got a tooth ache from hell I go in tomorrow to get root canaled and my transmission went up in my Buick Saturday.  So I have to pull it this week :axe:

UGH! I lost the tranny in MC last summer. Well, the front seal blew and then that cooked the TC. About 1100 bucks to fix right since it was apart. The old guy did a heck of a job, people brought cars there from all over. Sadly he passed away about 3 months after he fixed mine. He was 80 and STILL working on them! Course his son (whom I graduated HS with) is now running the place after being in the business with his dad for 30 years. Hope the tooth goes well!

So my nephew is in the Army and recently moved from Florida to Colorado Springs.  His nice Dodge Charger got totaled by baseball sized hail a few weeks ago.  Now he's getting treated to highs in the low 90s today with several inches of snow tomorrow and tomorrow night.  Man that climate is nuts!

Imagine being at a cookout in Denver this afternoon in the low 90s knowing that it will be snowing when you wake up tomorrow.  Wow.

• H2O unpinned this topic