• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 20-21 General Observations

John1122

I wasn't really looking forward to the rain, but now the season stream in my front yard is roaring again, lol. My wife and I dug it out and landscaped in and around it, so I'm happy it's back. My larger dog (TROWAL dog) may have flopped in the deeper section of it and gotten pinched by a crawdad! 

Nearby weather station is up to 2.5 inches, we may hit 4 before it's all over

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Really interested to see how @John1122 has fared today. It just keeps pouring here. 

I had 2.68 inches through around 5pm. It's been raining steadily except for about a 20 minute break since then.  Forecast calls for 1-2, overnight with another .5 to .75 tomorrow.  It's got me at about 5 inches for October after actually being below normal for September. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Ended up getting .72 more rain after my last obs, 2.97 total for the event. 

I have to ask, what kind of weather station are you rocking up there John?  You're always coming through with the precise measurements, which is appreciated!  One of these days I'm going to cave on a nice system but I keep putting it off for one reason or another.  

3 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

I have to ask, what kind of weather station are you rocking up there John?  You're always coming through with the precise measurements, which is appreciated!  One of these days I'm going to cave on a nice system but I keep putting it off for one reason or another.  

I use three analog rain gauges instead of a weather station. The weather station one I had was never very accurate in heavy rain situations years ago, it would record way way too much rain. So I just stayed with standard tube gauges. I have them standing, bottom mounted on a flat 2x6s about 12 inches off the ground well away from any trees or anything else in 3 separate areas about 200 feet apart, I base rainfall on the average of the three, though they normally almost exactly the same measurement. A Stratus is the best one of the analog gauges you can get. 

I've got a couple of weather stations, an Ambient WS series and an Accu-rite I got for Christmas one year. Plus I have a mercury thermometer in a Stevenson screen. I keep the sensors and mercury thermometer around 5 feet off the ground and on the north side so they don't get any excessive sun.

The wind speed and rain gauge was never accurate on the Accu-Rite but it worked well for temperature, I always used water on a cold night to make sure thermometers would actually align with ice formation and ice always formed as soon as it hit 32/0c and all the thermometers run in lockstep with each other when I place the sensors beside each other.. The Ambient is a better station overall, but it almost always records a little more rain than an old fashioned rain gauges do, it does better with wind than the Accu-rite as well. 

Unless new ones have gotten a lot better I'd never buy an accu-rite for anything beyond humidity/temperature/pressure. Ambient seems to work better in most departments other than the tie in temp/pressure/humidity. I have never felt like spending 600 dollar or more for a Davis. They are nice but I feel like I can get enough information using what I have. It's not been that long ago when I did everything with an analog set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Some great information above by John about weather stations.  Enjoyed reading that.

Looks like TRI has tied two record highs.  One on the 9th and then yesterday the 11th.  The aren't in the record book yet, so will wait for confirmation from the MRX.  This week has fell like summer.  Yesterday was a whopping 21 degrees AN and our fourth straight day of double digit departures AN.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...