• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Thanksgiving off to a roaring start. Decided to make an apple pie. I don't have a pie pan but we do have a glass tart pan. Between the shorter sides and my poor crimping of the top and bottom crusts, juice bubbled out all over the oven and completely smoked us out. Both smoke detectors going off, dog barking, range hood on high and all the windows open. Fun times!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Thanksgiving off to a roaring start. Decided to make an apple pie. I don't have a pie pan but we do have a glass tart pan. Between the shorter sides and my poor crimping of the top and bottom crusts, juice bubbled out all over the oven and completely smoked us out. Both smoke detectors going off, dog barking, range hood on high and all the windows open. Fun times!

Twisted fire starter. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

While you guys are struggling with Spectrum performance, I am struggling to get them to come to my house and hook me up. Right now, I have two LTE modems and a Viasat link that I pass through a load-balancing router. Basically, I take three super-shitty connections and form them into one shitty connection. Spectrum has to be better than that mess.

So basically you took 3 pieces of sh it and made them into one steaming pile? Spectrum is not the greatest, But we have few options other then dish or direct tv which i've had both previously before going to spectrum because of internet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Ha ha, Amateur hour, That makes for a great mess in the oven too that baked on apple.

43 minutes ago, mreaves said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMbPc4H0jo

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

They just sent a few test satellites up that use lasers for communications. It's actually superior to any ground based fiber optics. 

The single biggest draw of laser interlinks is arguably the major reduction in connection latency (ping) they can enable compared to a similar network without it. By moving a great deal of the work of networking into orbit, the data transported on an interlinked satellite network would theoretically require much less routing to reach an end-user, physically shortening the distance that data has to travel. The speed of light (300,000 kilometers per second) may be immense but even on the small scale of the planet Earth, with the added inefficiencies inherent in even the best fiber optic cables, routing data to and from opposite ends of the planet can still be slowed down by high latency.

That still won’t help with the physical reality of beaming data from a satellite to a backyard. No way to shortcut that. Pings may go from well over 1,000ms to perhaps 500-700ms. Modern online games work best 100ms or less. So probably still no dice. 

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Happy T day. Still waiting for my appetite to come back have lost 25 lbs in 3 weeks. Very low key today.  My wife went to my daughters and sister in laws for brunch and dinner. Bud Barry stayed here with me. We football  sucks game tonight got canceled 

Hey Steve, hope you feel better. Not as bad as you, but it sucks feeling useless. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 2