Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Elon Musk's starlink satellite service just went live for beta users. It looks like its only active pretty far north but some NNE's can currently get it. People are reporting some incredible speeds around 100-200 mbs.

This is going to bring some big competition to home wired internet. At my place I only have one option with Comcast. I know some places up north are still using slow dsl connections.

https://satellitemap.space/indexA.html

That's pretty sweet, thanks for posting.

Interesting to have a big fat pipe but really long latencies.

14 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Elon Musk's starlink satellite service just went live for beta users. It looks like its only active pretty far north but some NNE's can currently get it. People are reporting some incredible speeds around 100-200 mbs.

This is going to bring some big competition to home wired internet. At my place I only have one option with Comcast. I know some places up north are still using slow dsl connections.

Just bought some tsla stock couple days ago. Wished I had gotten in earlier this year. it's bound to crash, but some think it'll hit $1000 per by eoy.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I still have dsl, I want starlink!!!

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My Uncle in FL had covid and not doing well. Claimed the only thing he did was go to Walmart late last week. Just be safe.

Hope it all turns out ok dude.  My friends dad is 70 and in ICU in NH with COVID.  Also saw a post from an old girlfriend who lost her father to COVID last week.

I feel for those with a dark winter coming up but I’m very glad I’m not dealing with burying a family member.  Hard to complain when you see the devastation in farewell posts on social.

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

So I’ve been having an animal digging under my gate to my run off and on the past few weeks. My outdoor cam has caught a whitish animal a few nights, but I could never make it out clearly. It looked like the size of a skunk, but lighter like an opossum. I even wondered if it was an ermine, but I figured they could get in between the chain links of the gate and wouldn’t dig. Anyway, I setup a trail cam and we found the guilty party. 

2C362354-AA6E-43FF-A73B-CCE19F5B799F.jpeg
75EF644E-2F08-4770-BEA0-8BDE86A6B37C.jpeg

Has anyone seen a skunk this white before? 

looks like a skunk and a opossum mated

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Towns are already doing their own fiber optic. This should be every town. Comcast can eff themselves. 

I’m so happy to have Stowe Cable and Stowe Electric as local town utilities.  The customer service is really hard to beat as 24/7 you can get a local tech on the phone who lives nearby, ha.  Local town utilities are the way to go.

My favorite was the Red Sox and NESN was frozen one evening last summer.  I call the tech support and get some guy in his backyard gardening who was like “Oh damn the game started didn’t it?  I was heading in to watch it once I finished with the garden.  It’s frozen?  Ok give me 10 minutes.”  Then 10 minutes later it starts back up again lol.

• Like 1

We have spectrum here. I hate them. They gave an antiquated system of using a tuning adaptor that calls for channels that aren’t being used on a particular node. Their bandwidth is too small to push every frequency so they hold back some channels until they’re called for. If you have a box, it’s not an issue. But we have TiVos, 3 of them, and they all require the stupid tuning adapter. We have to reboot it at lest 3 times a week and it craps the bed invariably at a time we are recording something 

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Local town utilities are the way to go.

Holyoke Gas and Electric maintains a fiber ring and operates as an ISP around the city.  It's a pretty cool place to tour.  You get to observe ops for a 33MW hydroelectric dam, a large solar installation, a municipal telecom, and a fish lift.  

Plus electric and internet is dirt cheap, lowest in the state, and more than 90% carbon neutral.  

• Like 2

Spectrum sucks, we have it. The box and guide are from the 1980s, like our winters. But I recently went with their 10 channel basic package. So internet + 10 channels ‘ala cart’ + hbo/showtime/starz comes out to $140/mo. Even if we became cable cutters we’d still pay $70-80/mo for shitty spectrum internet and then whatever streaming service would basically amount to the same. If Starlink becomes a thing, I’ll jump on it. 

While you guys are struggling with Spectrum performance, I am struggling to get them to come to my house and hook me up. Right now, I have two LTE modems and a Viasat link that I pass through a load-balancing router. Basically, I take three super-shitty connections and form them into one shitty connection. Spectrum has to be better than that mess.

14 minutes ago, radarman said:

Once gen z figures out you can't play video games on starlink it'll be a bunch of betamaxes in orbit

I'm sure they can be used for other uses for the US government and technology companies, such as becoming a massive spy network or global repository of user data. Elon may use lasers mounted on-board to draw a giant penis in a desert somewhere too.

• Haha 1

I’ve always had an intense hatred for Spectrum, since way before they were called that. Having said that, their internet service has been pretty damn good. We have 3 of us online all day doing work and school, plus my son does a lot of gaming after he’s done with school and there have been very few issues. Of course for cable and internet it’s $170 a month and I hate that but I can lower that some more by getting rid of one of the boxes and DVR capabilities. 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

I’ve always had an intense hatred for Spectrum, since way before they were called that. Having said that, their internet service has been pretty damn good. We have 3 of us online all day doing work and school, plus my son does a lot of gaming after he’s done with school and there have been very few issues. Of course for cable and internet it’s $170 a month and I hate that but I can lower that some more by getting rid of one of the boxes and DVR capabilities. 

We also use them for a house phone since our cell service is terrible.    Not that we use it.     I think the only calls we get or receive on it are from my MIL.  We only have the one box and got rid of DVR a couple of years ago. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We also use them for a house phone since our cell service is terrible.    Not that we use it.     I think the only calls we get or receive on it are from my MIL.  We only have the one box and got rid of DVR a couple of years ago. 

They always want to bundle with phone but it wouldn’t save us any money. We just use cell phones over the wifi.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I do too, my wife wanted to try AT & T TV so we just hooked up, I kept Spectrum on my TV for one more month until we make a decision. She seems to like it much better and it's a lot cheaper. Unfortunately AT & T doesn't have a cable service so I'd have to keep Spectrum for that. I'm dumping land line phone with them since we use our cells 99% of the time.

• Like 1

I have Spectrum for cable and internet. I’m one of the few millennials who hasn’t cut the cord but when you price out internet + YouTubeTV (need live sports) + Netflix (though to be fair, i bootleg off someone’s account)+whatever else, it’s MAYBE $10-15 dollars more per month. Worth it for the convenience factor for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bch2014 said:

I have Spectrum for cable and internet. I’m one of the few millennials who hasn’t cut the cord but when you price out internet + YouTubeTV (need live sports) + Netflix (though to be fair, i bootleg off someone’s account)+whatever else, it’s MAYBE $10-15 dollars more per month. Worth it for the convenience factor for me. 

Yes... I’m 26 and feel the same way. Everyone talks about cutting the cord, but unless you are strictly going to be using just WiFi with no streaming or sports at all, it’s just not worth it. By the time you pay for YouTube tv or any of those type of services plus WiFi, and like you said, streaming subscriptions, it’s about the same.

I think the people like the idea of “cutting the cord” but in practice, it’s more of a hassle and actually saves you very little money, which is supposed to be the big draw 

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Holyoke Gas and Electric maintains a fiber ring and operates as an ISP around the city.  It's a pretty cool place to tour.  You get to observe ops for a 33MW hydroelectric dam, a large solar installation, a municipal telecom, and a fish lift.  

Plus electric and internet is dirt cheap, lowest in the state, and more than 90% carbon neutral.  

Chicopee could give them a good run but is only in the early stages of getting going with an ISP. Interesting to see how it turns out.

• Like 1