Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Raw oysters with a bit of horseradish and cocktail sauce are great. I went to Matuneck over the summer and had a dozen.

I usually hit up J's Oysters in the old port up here, Oysters are one of my favorites, I could sit there and just eat a bushel of them.

• Like 3

These are nantucket bay scallops. I paid wholesale $30/lb as a special for Thanksgiving.  I ended up bringing 1 lb home for myself. They most certainly were on the first thanksgiving meal.  They are like candy. See how dry they are, no water added.  A lot of people eat these raw.  I could talk for days about wet vs dry scallops. Bay vs Seas

Here's a retail price

https://fultonfishmarket.com/fresh-nantucket-bay-scallops.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf6dWv-zXhED5K-H_iXqZifHLQORjjOyhz8IVvEFkPvej1TRytLP2fBoC5K4QAvD_BwE 

capturebay.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

These are nantucket bay scallops. I paid wholesale $30/lb as a special for Thanksgiving.  I ended up bringing 1 lb home for myself. They most certainly were on the first thanksgiving meal.  They are like candy. See how dry they are no water added.  A lot of people eat these raw.  I could talk for days about wet vs dry scallops. Bay vs Seas

Here's a retail price

https://fultonfishmarket.com/fresh-nantucket-bay-scallops.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf6dWv-zXhED5K-H_iXqZifHLQORjjOyhz8IVvEFkPvej1TRytLP2fBoC5K4QAvD_BwE 

capturebay.JPG

Nice, I could eat those right now hah ha.

18 hours ago, mreaves said:

Same with maple syrup from VT.  It just tastes better than the stuff from trees in other states and provinces.

Probably just my bias, but I lean toward the stuff sold by Parks and Lands at State Parks - it's tapped on the BPL tract we manage at Oquossoc Bald Mountain,  a tract that holds some wonderful personal memories, including a trip to the summit with 6 grandkids and their dad 11 days ago.

As for seafood, I like all that I've tried.  Sushi is fine but for me, cooked is better.  Pickled herring on crackers is great.  Octopus is okay but mainly as a chewing exercise.  Among freshwater critters, catfish, landlocked salmon and lake whitefish top my menu.  

11 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Raw oysters with a bit of horseradish and cocktail sauce are great. I went to Matuneck over the summer and had a dozen.

Have never tried raw oysters - I'd probably like them but would prefer them cooked, same as my mussel preference.  (And smoked mussels are incredibly tasty.)  Had cherrystones on the half shell many years ago - circa 1970.  Ate the 1st one plain - mild fish/sea-aroma taste.  Then my boss (4th of July picnic was at his home) suggested adding Tabasco, nearly enough to float the meat - tongue was numb for about 3 weeks. 
Though my wife is 2nd gen Norwegian-American we've not tried lutefisk (which I've read is eaten more often in the upper Midwest than in Norge) and I'd guess I'd like the taste but not be a fan of the texture.

15 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

VT gov going overboard a bit requiring all kids returning to school after TDay to be asked if they went anywhere other than their house for TDay. If so, you have to quarantine for 10 days or take covid test. I'd tell the school to mind their own business.

Maybe say they've stayed at home, along with the 17 guests from Newark, NJ.  :o

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

VT gov going overboard a bit requiring all kids returning to school after TDay to be asked if they went anywhere other than their house for TDay. If so, you have to quarantine for 10 days or take covid test. I'd tell the school to mind their own business.

Seems reasonable to me to ask.  Vermont requires vaccinations for kids to go to school so why not ask if they have engaged in the sort of behavior the government is asking Vermonters not to do this weekend because the Vermont data the govt is relying on is showing that 70% of the cases are occurring here due to such gatherings.  If the parents are going to not follow the State guidance, they have at least been given fair warning that they should keep the kids home or have 5 days to train them how to lie when asked.

So I’ve been having an animal digging under my gate to my run off and on the past few weeks. My outdoor cam has caught a whitish animal a few nights, but I could never make it out clearly. It looked like the size of a skunk, but lighter like an opossum. I even wondered if it was an ermine, but I figured they could get in between the chain links of the gate and wouldn’t dig. Anyway, I setup a trail cam and we found the guilty party. 

2C362354-AA6E-43FF-A73B-CCE19F5B799F.jpeg
75EF644E-2F08-4770-BEA0-8BDE86A6B37C.jpeg

Has anyone seen a skunk this white before? 

• Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

So I’ve been having an animal digging under my gate to my run off and on the past few weeks. My outdoor cam has caught a whitish animal a few nights, but I could never make it out clearly. It looked like the size of a skunk, but lighter like an opossum. I even wondered if it was an ermine, but I figured they could get in between the chain links of the gate and wouldn’t dig. Anyway, I setup a trail cam and we found the guilty party. 

A skunk that white is a predictor of a snowy winter

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Albino, And those skunks love grubs.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think that’s low-balling it. Maybe something like Dec 1970, Jan 2011, Feb 2015, and Mar 1993

My preference would be Nov 2018, Dec 1976 (in Ft Kent, 61.5"), Jan 2015, Feb 2017, Mar 2001 and April 2007.  Comes to a bit over 250", a modest request.  Maybe add Oct 2000 and this past May to boost it past 260. 

Elon Musk's starlink satellite service just went live for beta users. It looks like its only active pretty far north but some NNE's can currently get it. People are reporting some incredible speeds around 100-200 mbs.

This is going to bring some big competition to home wired internet. At my place I only have one option with Comcast. I know some places up north are still using slow dsl connections.

https://satellitemap.space/indexA.html

• Like 2