Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I have an allergy to certain shellfish, but can eat scallops etc no problem. Love a good lobster roll too. 
But give me a fried clam and scallop plate, with a tall G&T by the water any day. 

I used to go to Yankee lobster all the time by Harpoon Brewery back before it became a circus on the seaport and I loved their scallop and clam plate. 

Place is great because the boats come right to their dock in the back. Fresh stuff. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I do not eat any seafood. The smell and taste makes me nauseous. I caught a catfish with my grandfather on Lake Hopatcong in NJ where u spent every summer at their house as a kid. My grandfather skinned it and we ate it for dinner after my grandmother who was an unbelievable cook , fried it up for. I can remember this like it happened two minutes ago. I took one bite and swallowed and gagged immediately and threw up. Seafood to me is nasty. Enjoy it though to those that like it 

If you don't care for it fine but hopefully you've tried it again after choking down that blown out catfish.  That's like saying you don't like beer because you puked after slamming a Milwaukee's Best pounder in high school.

• Haha 3

Best codfish I ate were the red/gold ones that I caught in the spring or fall on the East Grounds just east of Block Island in 45 to 60 feet of water. These fat football shaped gadids  from 5 to 15 lbs fed mostly on crabs lobsters and small choggies. The flesh is sweet. I preferred baking the fillets with a Ritz cracker crumb topping.

The topping was crushed sleeve or 2 of Ritz or Club crackers in a pan on low with a stick of 2 of butter. The zest and juice of a lemon or 2, a splash of chardonnay and s/p to taste. So good!

Any codfish I ate were always bled and put in a saltwater slush immediately upon capture.

• Like 1

I didn’t discover sushi until about 10 years ago.  Give me a tray of that, or some well done RI calamari.   I’m not a huge fan of lobster.  I prefer shrimp   Not into salmon but I love haddock or cod or mahi mahi.   Freshwater fish is also not high on my list   
Ive had octopus a few times but won’t eat it anymore. 

6 minutes ago, radarman said:

If you don't care for it fine but hopefully you've tried it again after choking down that blown out catfish.  That's like saying you don't like beer because you puked after slamming a Milwaukee's Best pounder in high school.

I have not touched it since. I was  8 when that life changing incident happened. Neither of my daughters eat it either. We leave the house when my wife makes it. Seriously 

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I didn’t discover sushi until about 10 years ago.  Give me a tray of that, or some well done RI calamari.   I’m not a huge fan of lobster.  I prefer shrimp   Not into salmon but I love haddock or cod or mahi mahi.   Freshwater fish is also not high on my list   
Ive had octopus a few times but won’t eat it anymore. 

Agree on the bolded, There is no seafood i won't try or eat, And i'm a big fan of sushi too.

[mention=2582]amarshall[/mention]  has a great distribution of fresh seafood during these times. I’ve gotten cod fillets and day boat scallops that were amazing. I’ll pay a few extra bucks for fresh stuff from local people.
Love. We did a big delivery today. Oyster farmers are starting to really hurt again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Unappetizing.  Half the time it’s the mere smell of it, others is the appearance, it looks nauseating, and the times I tried it, I did not like three taste or texture.

Same with me and my wife. Oddly enough though our son loves all kinds of seafood. He’s like his grandparents in that respect. 

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That sucks, If she is/was like my mom, She kept recipe's in her head.

Yeah. Pretty much. She taught cooking classes to adults for many years.  Kept our family of 10 well fed on my dad’s public school teacher’s salary.   
I wish I had her recipes. But they weren’t written down. 

4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The early rapid tests could pop a false positive due to cross reactivity with other similar coronavirus’. The newer one is pretty specific. My opinion is that if you are positive on the rapid test, there’s enough virus to have symptoms and be contagious. 
The estimate to test every person 3 times a week with the rapid test would cost 7 billion a week. That 200 billion for 6 months. That’s peanuts compared to what we spent and will spend on Covid relief money. 

Like I posted before, companies are just following state guidelines. The state says you have to have a PCR test in order to not quarantine for 2 weeks. 

WOW the corona virus is a cash cow.. I think they are expediting the vaccines because they are scared people will get bored and it will just go away.. I am also thinking the majority of people in the northeast have already been inoculated.. so they gotta do a big push for testing and vaccine to squeeze out a couple trillion more dollars on this one.. you know.. get when the gettins still good

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

I do not eat any seafood. The smell and taste makes me nauseous. I caught a catfish with my grandfather on Lake Hopatcong in NJ where u spent every summer at their house as a kid. My grandfather skinned it and we ate it for dinner after my grandmother who was an unbelievable cook , fried it up for. I can remember this like it happened two minutes ago. I took one bite and swallowed and gagged immediately and threw up. Seafood to me is nasty. Enjoy it though to those that like it 
Pretty much same for me. I'll eat some fish like haddock and salmon. Other seafood like clams, scallops are a no-go. It's more of a texture thing. Like a big chewy snot in my mouth. Sorry if I ruined anyone's late night dinner

Just now, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Pretty much same for me. I'll eat some fish like haddock and salmon. Other seafood like clams, scallops are a no-go. It's more of a texture thing. Like a big chewy snot in my mouth. Sorry if I ruined anyone's late night dinner

So i guess raw oysters would be out??    :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All of it barf out.. gag me with a spoon 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1