Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We have been getting visit Baltimore ads here. There is even a billboard on the way into Boston with that ad. :lol:   

Yeah even up there well inland...still should be some good places for that. Like MaineJayhawk said...nothing beats a good lobster. Maine is the place for that. 

There's plenty of solid seafood where we vacation like 30 minutes east of Phin in Maine. That whole area doesn't shy away from it just because they are an hour from the coastline. Good prices up in that area too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's plenty of solid seafood where we vacation like 30 minutes east of Phin in Maine. That whole area doesn't shy away from it just because they are an hour from the coastline. Good prices up in that area too.

Oh yeah definitely.  Those guys will get it same day in many instances. 

I wouldn't be able to eat seafood from anywhere else then here, The funniest story was about 25 yrs or so ago i was dining with some VP's of companies my company was doing business with and we were at the Capitol Grill in Providence, RI, I ordered the surf and turf and it was a 5lb Maine Lobster and a 8oz filet mignon, The server brings it over to the table with the bib and cracker for the lobster (i don't order the lazy man) and starts to explain to me how to go about eating the Lobster, I told him, Dude, I'm from Maine and there is nothing you're going to be able to help me with on how to eat this lobster..........:lol:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Why would one want a NH lobster?  Maine is where it's at.

Truth.  The bugs get a major gain in flavor as they crawl north across the order.  It's just the opposite for ones that leave Cobscook Bay for Canadian waters.  ;)

For me, though, it's different for crab.  I've enjoyed crabmeat in Maine and on Fisherman's Wharf, but Chesapeake blues are my favorite.  Had them many times while at Hopkins in the 60s (50 cents for a small but tasty one between saltines at the old Memorial Stadium on a $1 student admission) but none since some beautiful crabcakes in Hagerstown coming back from helping the kids when grandkid #1 was born in 2006 - even that far from the bay it was the real thing. 

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I wouldn't be able to eat seafood from anywhere else then here, The funniest story was about 25 yrs or so ago i was dining with some VP's of companies my company was doing business with and we were at the Capitol Grill in Providence, RI, I ordered the surf and turf and it was a 5lb Maine Lobster and a 8oz filet mignon, The server brings it over to the table with the bib and cracker for the lobster (i don't order the lazy man) and starts to explain to me how to go about eating the Lobster, I told him, Dude, I'm from Maine and there is nothing you're going to be able to help me with on how to eat this lobster..........:lol:

My favorite lobster-eating instructional came in 1995 when PWM was the site of the Society of American Foresters national convention.  Humorist Tim Sample was cracking up the 500+ at the supper as he explained how to crack the crustacean.  "Then there's the tomally - nasssty green stuff!"  (While planning the convention with reps from the New England chapter, there was concern that folks wouldn't have enough time to clean up for dinner as that was field trip day.  One Maine rep replied, saying that when one eats lobster, one showers after the meal.)

Just now, tamarack said:

My favorite lobster-eating instructional came in 1995 when PWM was the site of the Society of American Foresters national convention.  Humorist Tim Sample was cracking up the 500+ at the supper as he explained how to crack the crustacean.  "Then there's the tomally - nasssty green stuff!"  (While planning the convention with reps from the New England chapter, there was concern that folks wouldn't have enough time to clean up for dinner as that was field trip day.  One Maine rep replied, saying that when one eats lobster, one showers after the meal.)

Ha ha, Its certainly a big clean up after eating, My grandfather who was from Italy loved the tomally on crackers.

45 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Why would one want a NH lobster?  Maine is where it's at.

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Truth.  The bugs get a major gain in flavor as they crawl north across the order.  It's just the opposite for ones that leave Cobscook Bay for Canadian waters.  ;)

For me, though, it's different for crab.  I've enjoyed crabmeat in Maine and on Fisherman's Wharf, but Chesapeake blues are my favorite.  Had them many times while at Hopkins in the 60s (50 cents for a small but tasty one between saltines at the old Memorial Stadium on a $1 student admission) but none since some beautiful crabcakes in Hagerstown coming back from helping the kids when grandkid #1 was born in 2006 - even that far from the bay it was the real thing. 

Same with maple syrup from VT.  It just tastes better than the stuff from trees in other states and provinces.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Brown Derby with wall to wall people not socially distanced whatsoever. 
Actually the tables are distanced like anywhere else. 

Martini flight I hope

And if you want some good food, head over to DS and check out the Boathouse.  A lot of the oysters there are from AMarshall

55 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The newer Abbott one is pretty good. In my opinion, if you’re negative by that one, you’re either truly negative or haven’t got enough virus to be sick or contagious. 
The PCR test was the first on out and powers that be are stuck to it. Again in my opinion, the PCR test as interpreted now is junk. 

yeah but like what %?

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There is sometimes a guy in Gorham who comes up from the Maine coast to sell fresh seafood each day. 

41 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

yeah but like what %?

Tough to give you a concise answer. The false negative rate, which is the most important, has been touted as anywhere from 2% to 14%. 
But you have to understand how they come up with those numbers. 
The rapid test is compared to the PCR test which is considered “the gold standard” (cough cough, BS). So for example, if someone test negative by the rapid test, but test “positive” by  PCR, the rapid test in that case is considered a false negative. But is it really? If the PCR test showed a positive at a Ct of 39, I would say the PCR test is a false positive and the rapid test is spot on.

Id have to dig a little and see if anyone has compared the rapid test to the real gold standard which is viral replication assays. 
Without a ton of research, I’d guess the false negative rate for the rapid test isn’t much worse than what Abbott says, which is around 3-4%

8 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Tough to give you a concise answer. The false negative rate, which is the most important, has been touted as anywhere from 2% to 14%. 
But you have to understand how they come up with those numbers. 
The rapid test is compared to the PCR test which is considered “the gold standard” (cough cough, BS). So for example, if someone test negative by the rapid test, but test “positive” by  PCR, the rapid test in that case is considered a false negative. But is it really? If the PCR test showed a positive at a Ct of 39, I would say the PCR test is a false positive and the rapid test is spot on.

Id have to dig a little and see if anyone has compared the rapid test to the real gold standard which is viral replication assays. 
Without a ton of research, I’d guess the false negative rate for the rapid test isn’t much worse than what Abbott says, which is around 3-4%

Great info, thanks.  I'm thinking of false positives.....also around 3% say? Or you're saying if you test positive, you are almost guaranteed to have it? Just curious. Kinda hard to find this out on the web.  Seems like a lot of places aren't relying on the rapid test for "ok to go back to work" thing.  

Wtf. Way too many people 

Thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews gathered to celebrate a hidden wedding in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood on Nov. 8. Authorities are fining the organizers $15,000 for violating public health restrictions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/nyregion/williamsburg-jewish-wedding-coronavirus-covid-masks.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

15 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Or you're saying if you test positive, you are almost guaranteed to have it?  Seems like a lot of places aren't relying on the rapid test for "ok to go back to work" thing.  

The early rapid tests could pop a false positive due to cross reactivity with other similar coronavirus’. The newer one is pretty specific. My opinion is that if you are positive on the rapid test, there’s enough virus to have symptoms and be contagious. 
The estimate to test every person 3 times a week with the rapid test would cost 7 billion a week. That 200 billion for 6 months. That’s peanuts compared to what we spent and will spend on Covid relief money. 

Like I posted before, companies are just following state guidelines. The state says you have to have a PCR test in order to not quarantine for 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maine lobsters molting #1

Chesapeake blue shells #1

Stonington Ct Pollock fish and Chips #1

VT Maple Syrup #1

RI clams out of salt water ponds #1

Portuguese Society of Stonington Ct seafood Lent Fridays #1

Maple syrup and toss all the rest.  We don’t do seafood of any kind.  :poster_oops:

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

VT Maple Syrup #1

You forgot Ipswich clams for crying out loud!

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Unappetizing.  Half the time it’s the mere smell of it, others is the appearance, it looks nauseating, and the times I tried it, I did not like three taste or texture.

I will only eat seafood if I prepare it myself or it’s done just right. Otherwise the smell and texture gets to me too. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

VT Maple Syrup #1

RI flounder is probably #1 and IMO flounder is the best for a fried fish sandwich.   Gun to head I'm partial to a grilled or blackened fish sandwich and for that you're better off going south, be it for mahi/grouper/snapper/porgy/yellowfins etc.  But it's all yummy, even boring ol baked haddock with butter and ritz crackers.

• Like 1

I do not eat any seafood. The smell and taste makes me nauseous. I caught a catfish with my grandfather on Lake Hopatcong in NJ where u spent every summer at their house as a kid. My grandfather skinned it and we ate it for dinner after my grandmother who was an unbelievable cook , fried it up for. I can remember this like it happened two minutes ago. I took one bite and swallowed and gagged immediately and threw up. Seafood to me is nasty. Enjoy it though to those that like it 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

47 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Unappetizing.  Half the time it’s the mere smell of it, others is the appearance, it looks nauseating, and the times I tried it, I did not like three taste or texture.

I’ll do the basic. Salmon or Flounder...but anything else is gross smells or strange texture. My wife enjoys Alaskan crab but by the time she is finished cracking the first leg and hunting for her little piece of meat...I’ve devoured my plate already, asked the waitress for the check, and started the car. 

I do like a warm buttered lobster on a toasted hoagie though.

• Like 2