Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Maybe somebody has experience with this one:

My mother is recovering from Covid and may be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.  At this point, she is not able to care for herself and we are having problems finding a rehab facility for her.  We have been advised that she will probably still be shedding the virus for another week+ and none of us children have had Covid.  Presumably in a couple of weeks she will be able to come home and take care of herself, but we need a way to bridge this.

Most rehabs don't want anything to do with a Covid+ patient (I understand the logic).

Any insights from other's experiences would be appreciated.

I can't imagine this is an isolated problem.

15 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

My mother is recovering from Covid and may be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.  At this point, she is not able to care for herself and we are having problems finding a rehab facility for her.  We have been advised that she will probably still be shedding the virus for another week+ and none of us children have had Covid.  Presumably in a couple of weeks she will be able to come home and take care of herself, but we need a way to bridge this.

Most rehabs don't want anything to do with a Covid+ patient (I understand the logic).

sorry you have to go through this, but glad she made it out of the hospital.  I have no experience here, but it might be worth asking the social worker at the hospital if they can help you acquire medical grade PPE. 

54 minutes ago, radarman said:

sorry you have to go through this, but glad she made it out of the hospital.  I have no experience here, but it might be worth asking the social worker at the hospital if they can help you acquire medical grade PPE. 

Thanks - this is turning into quite the predicament.

2 hours ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Are visiting nurses an option? 

Delivering a message with the goal of altering behavior toward something  deemed more desirable is sometimes a delicate balance. This is the case whether you are trying to get Young male drivers to be more careful or to make people take precautions that keep them more distant from others due to a virus

The later  however..is much more complicated and opens up a whole can of worms with regard to the range of behavior responses which is dependent on  many variables (not limited to but including)  the amount of repetition (of a message), the amount of anxiety it can and will provoke in a individual which can overwhelm a decision making process, as well as coping mechanisms of denial,  and other issues like creating  isolation that causes depression. It's really very fascinating to me as Psychology is always very interesting to me. 

Fear appeals work. I wouldn't deem them  inappropriate but they can be abused and its a delicate balance  and especially so when you are dealing with a issue that is bound to have a very large variation regarding individuals  psychological impact .  Seeing them in action reminds me of the  saying  "in order to make an omelette you gotta break a few eggs"   Some folks have cracked (I.E developed legit anxiety disorders from Covid) 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1090198120935073

I get the pushback, but cases are on the rise, as are hospitalizations. Widespread large family gatherings will likely make the numbers go up. We're all done with trying to cope with Covid, but government officials should just say forget about it and do whatever you want?  As far as schools go, the goal is to make in person learning, as we now call it, as safe as possible. If there is a positive case, direct contacts of the person with a positive test result  are required to quarantine. Just a few positive test results can mean that a whole lot of students and staff can't be at school. When you get enough staff members who can't be at school, you don't have enough adults to supervise/teach. There's also then need to contact every family and staff member to notify them that they may have been exposed, and answer questions. Two or three positive cases of Covid can result an administration spending a couple days of trying to figure out who was in contact with the person with Covid, and then trying to  get in touch with everyone who needs to be notified. Toss in Hipaa laws, and nobody really knows who actually has been in contact with someone who tested positive. Teachers and administrators know that distance learning is not a good option, but no Superintendent wants their district to be responsible for a large school-related outbreak.

We're having just our household for Thanksgiving. My siblings are either working with the elderly in a hospital or already have several of the high risk factors for getting a bad case. The medical professional also has a child in private school which has strict guidelines about school approved activities. The other people who might have come over are a group of young 20-somethings who live in the city and, I'm going to assume, have a social life still. We're not in the coldest part of New England but the 20-somethings aren't going to be excited to drive out to the boonies and be cold. We opted to go for the virtual meet-up with everyone. 

I get the pushback, but cases are on the rise, as are hospitalizations. Widespread large family gatherings will likely make the numbers go up. We're all done with trying to cope with Covid, but government officials should just say forget about it and do whatever you want?  As far as schools go, the goal is to make in person learning, as we now call it, as safe as possible. If there is a positive case, direct contacts of the person with a positive test result  are required to quarantine. Just a few positive test results can mean that a whole lot of students and staff can't be at school. When you get enough staff members who can't be at school, you don't have enough adults to supervise/teach. There's also then need to contact every family and staff member to notify them that they may have been exposed, and answer questions. Two or three positive cases of Covid can result an administration spending a couple days of trying to figure out who was in contact with the person with Covid, and then trying to  get in touch with everyone who needs to be notified. Toss in Hipaa laws, and nobody really knows who actually has been in contact with someone who tested positive. Teachers and administrators know that distance learning is not a good option, but no Superintendent wants their district to be responsible for a large school-related outbreak.
We should try reverse contact tracing. Rather then try and figure out all the people someone came in contact with, some countries trace back to the actual infected person that got said person exposed

7 hours ago, NECT said:

yes

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
7 hours ago, NECT said:

We should try reverse contact tracing. Rather then try and figure out all the people someone came in contact with, some countries trace back to the actual infected person that got said person exposed

Contract tracing would be great but there's far too many cases currently to even attempt that.

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Maybe in locations where cases are low enough it can be used, nut in many cases it just won't make a difference where daily case loads are in the thousands.

Germany gave up on it after trying.

Seems like it would have been most effective in USA if we did it mid summer before the summer mini spike that  occurred and then later formed a higher "base case plateau" for this fall one to build off. Wasn't happening with Trumpy. 

20 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Which is why a lack of a targeted stimulus via PPP/PUA should have massive protests and Congress thrown out . 

Otherwise restrictions just leads to forced poverty and suffering of other groups  , which i think  highlights the shallowness of the inequality movement AND  a lack of awareness of Covid economic effects.

Nobody seems to realize that Covid and lockdowns and lack of stimulus since August  has tremendously widened wealth inequality in a year when people and corporations act like they care bc it’s “in”. Lots of people have various stressors in their lives and this tremendous cost of Covid being borne in certain industries (which minorities are over represented) just isn’t Brought up in the news cycle to raise awareness. 

Agree...you cant have draconian-esque lock downs AND have Congress continue this absolute Pelosi/McConnell partisan bull and have nothing passed Stimulus wise via PPA/PUA and or direct one time stimulus payments.  Many on here have voiced their opposition to lockdowns and shutdowns, that's fine, but they are happening and probably only going to get worse before the vaccine is widely available.  Small businesses and many individuals have already been struggling even with the previous stimulus passed, another shutdown without any help will be really, really bad especially considering many individuals unemployment has already run out or will at the end of the year.

Small anecdotal thing I noticed locally is for whatever reason pre-covid a lot of the 1 story ski motels here seemed to have changed hands with them being "spruced up" a bit and made more updated and modern.  Just horrible timing for the new owners as COVID hit and they have seem to be mostly empty since March outside of some weekends over the summer when restrictions were pulled back a bit.

33 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Small anecdotal thing I noticed locally is for whatever reason pre-covid a lot of the 1 story ski motels here seemed to have changed hands with them being "spruced up" a bit and made more updated and modern.  Just horrible timing for the new owners as COVID hit and they have seem to be mostly empty since March outside of some weekends over the summer when restrictions were pulled back a bit.

Same exact thing here in Berlin/Gorham/Shelburne zone.