Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

then why was it setup that way? Who decided the threshold limit had to be that high if what you say is correct about viral loads and transmission?

Nobody knew. As long as it came up by 40 cycles, the sop said to call it positive. 
There are a couple of studies that correlate Ct with viral plaque assays and there’s no infection above 33-34.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Question. If you have a test within 72 hrs of whatever you need to do and it comes back negative, don’t you negate it if you spend the next 72 hrs doing risky activities?

I will be getting a Vid test Friday at 3:30 in advance of my surgery for next Tuesday (C.U.Next.Tuesday). Once I get the test I pretty much have to slink into the basement for the next 3 days, then be rolled out of the house in a bubble...placed in a hermetically sealed armored truck and transported to the hospital Tuesday morning. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, radarman said:

I have to say that compliance is damn close to 100% everywhere around here.  I can't recall the last time I've been inside in a public place and seen somebody not wearing a mask.

Same here, the spread has been fueled by small home gatherings and other places where people become more lax following protocols.  Our governor specifically noted that when he announced tighter restrictions.  He was asked why restaurants and gyms weren't closing and he said that there really haven't been any outbreaks traced to those types of establishments.  . There was the initial hockey league outbreak that was started by someone who travelled out of state and came back and didn't follow any of the guidelines and kept carpooling to the ice rink and there have been couple of Halloween parties that have bumped up the transmission. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

People don’t want restrictions, but also don’t want a vaccine; which seems kind of weird and doesn’t make much sense? So you’re afraid of the vaccine but not of actually becoming ill?

you can’t have it both ways 

With a virus with a survival rate at 99.7% (and even higher for those under age 50), is that all that surprising? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I am someone who has always been fine with a national ID card. Probably just because my job means the Feds already know everything about me, and I already carry a Federal ID anyway. I would be fine with that ID having info about my vaccination status, if I so choose.

But I know that isn't the answer for the vast majority of people and would lead to terrible govt overreach. I think what you and will said about it being based on a timeline and availability widely is the only way to handle this.

Meh-everyone with a social security number has it in some nefarious database.  

Those of you assuming restrictions are being lifted fairly early in 2021 (spring/summer) are basing that assumption on (1) the majority of people choosing to receive the vaccine and (2) the government deciding they don't care if a bunch of people skip the vaccine and drop dead of COVID. I think those are very flawed assumptions based on what we have seen the governors do over the last six months. 

Does anyone have a prediction on how much longer we will be restricted from going in stores unless we are wearing shoes and a shirt?  I prefer to be topless and unshod when selecting my food at the grocery store. What is the point of Fritos if you don't have Free Toes?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Same here, the spread has been fueled by small home gatherings and other places where people become more lax following protocols.  Our governor specifically noted that when he announced tighter restrictions.  He was asked why restaurants and gyms weren't closing and he said that there really haven't been any outbreaks traced to those types of establishments.  . There was the initial hockey league outbreak that was started by someone who travelled out of state and came back and didn't follow any of the guidelines and kept carpooling to the ice rink and there have been couple of Halloween parties that have bumped up the transmission. 

This is what I hope our governor looks at before implementing any widespread lockdowns again. I've been going to the gym in the mornings and there is usually <10 people. I feel pretty safe. At night, there's probably 30 or so. This pales in comparison to pre-covid where there was easily 100+ at 530pm. Anyhoo, Maine CDC should have enough data and contact tracing at this point to know which establishments are considered hot spots and not impose a blanket shutdown like Spring

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, klw said:

Does anyone have a prediction on how much longer we will be restricted from going in stores unless we are wearing shoes and a shirt?  I prefer to be topless and unshod when selecting my food at the grocery store. What is the point of Fritos if you don't have Free Toes?

Lol 

The difference is there’s not a law against it. It ‘s store policy from place to place. Some regions they don’t care.

14 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

This is what I hope our governor looks at before implementing any widespread lockdowns again. I've been going to the gym in the mornings and there is usually <10 people. I feel pretty safe. At night, there's probably 30 or so. This pales in comparison to pre-covid where there was easily 100+ at 530pm. Anyhoo, Maine CDC should have enough data and contact tracing at this point to know which establishments are considered hot spots and not impose a blanket shutdown like Spring

The contact tracing has been showing gyms, restaurants, stores, etc are not where its spreading. The data in VT I saw was 71% of the tracing from contact tracers were  social gatherings of friends/family. I think they even found deer camps were high on the list. Very few to no cases from the other places. 

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In my large house with a lot of property without having to really go anywhere unless I want to.

Nothing worse than people like me telling working stiffs they need to give up their jobs and stay home, or else they kill grandma.

Which is why a lack of a targeted stimulus via PPP/PUA should have massive protests and Congress thrown out . 

Otherwise restrictions just leads to forced poverty and suffering of other groups  , which i think  highlights the shallowness of the inequality movement AND  a lack of awareness of Covid economic effects.

Nobody seems to realize that Covid and lockdowns and lack of stimulus since August  has tremendously widened wealth inequality in a year when people and corporations act like they care bc it’s “in”. Lots of people have various stressors in their lives and this tremendous cost of Covid being borne in certain industries (which minorities are over represented) just isn’t Brought up in the news cycle to raise awareness. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BrianW said:

The contact tracing has been showing gyms, restaurants, stores, etc are not where its spreading. The data in VT I saw was 71% of the tracing from contact tracers were  social gatherings of friends/family. I think they even found deer camps were high on the list. Very few to no cases from the other places. 

Here's a link:

https://vtdigger.org/2020/11/17/vermont-reimposes-hospital-lockdowns-ramps-up-testing-statewide/

The governor lectured “skeptics” of guidelines he released on Friday, which allowed restaurants to stay open but banned all inter-household gatherings. 

“There’s not much we can do to stop you,” he acknowledged, of those who defy the rules. “Please, don’t call it patriotic. Don’t pretend it’s about freedoms. Because real patriots serve and sacrifice for all, whether they agree with them or not.”

Scott explained that 71% of outbreaks reported from Oct. 1 to Nov. 13 were linked to “social events, parties and people hanging out at home or bars and clubs.” He added Vermont has not seen the virus spread widely at schools, restaurants or other businesses. 

Dr. Mark Levine, the state health commissioner, said those parties came in a variety of sizes of parties — Halloween gatherings large and small, dinner parties, baby showers, “people in the high single numbers at a deer camp.”

The virus spike stemmed from “opportunities for people to get together from different households in very modest-size circumstances. And I would say that a modest-size circumstance could be a Thanksgiving, a dining room table with six people at it, three couples from different places. That’s all it would take. It’s very, very well documented.”

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Community of color get screwed either way. 4 times more likely to be hospitalized over whites. 

Screenshot_20201118-141509_Chrome.jpg

Yes, but from a strictly economic standpoint, the workers in the minority communities who make the money are not dying from COVID in serious numbers. I suspect most of them really want to keep working, because if they lose their jobs, they are finished AND grandma still might die. The call for lockdowns screws them twice...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

26 minutes ago, klw said:

This makes sense just by the nature of how people react and socialize at certain gatherings.  Most people at restaurants sit down, eat their food across from each other, and move on fairly quickly with very little contact beyond their utensils, and food, and the conversation at their booth.  Parties at halls, or other home gatherings are a much different scene ...People standing around a keg, or table of food, close to others, talking for long periods of time.

I have been back at my gym since it re-opened.  I speak to the managers there every so often to get a sense of how the virus may be affecting the gym and patrons.  I have been told that zero cases have been traced back to the gym. That in itself does not mean much, but is interesting just the same.