Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We can’t gloss over the fact that no mRNA vaccine has ever been approved for use in humans. This is uncharted territory. All in six months under something titled “warp speed.” Is anyone surprised people are wary? That doesn’t make them idiots. 

It’s like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. We know it will help defeat Gozer, but there might be unknown risks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lava Rock said:

This is what I am most concerned about. Where does one draw the line on the next outbreak. For instance, if flu cases next season seem to be ramping up more than usual, do we use these lockdowns and restrictions again, knowing that for decades we've never done this for flu? How many deaths would need to be met before restrictions were used? Who gets to decide if 50,000 or 100,000 deaths for flu would be too many and restrictions would need to be implemented. I just think covid has opened the door for future govt overreach. 

This is starting to get too political for the wx side....but I don't think the population will have any sort of appetite for flu-related lockdowns. They barely have it for covid without a vaccine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lava Rock said:

This is what I am most concerned about. Where does one draw the line on the next outbreak. For instance, if flu cases next season seem to be ramping up more than usual, do we use these lockdowns and restrictions again, knowing that for decades we've never done this for flu? How many deaths would need to be met before restrictions were used? Who gets to decide if 50,000 or 100,000 deaths for flu would be too many and restrictions would need to be implemented. I just think covid has opened the door for future govt overreach. 

Nobody will lock down for the normal influenza we know. Already this year we have more mandates for the flu vaccine. So I don’t see that happening.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We can’t gloss over the fact that no mRNA vaccine has ever been approved for use in humans. This is uncharted territory. All in six months under something titled “warp speed.” Is anyone surprised people are wary? That doesn’t make them idiots. 

Just so long as people don’t get a big dose of guillain-barré syndrome or some other nasty auto/hyper immune issue. 
It shouldn’t, it’s rare as hens teeth, but it can happen.

• Like 1

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m talking about travel and not having to quarantine once you get there. 
And I’m posting on a SW flight right now. Somewhere just off Cape May if I read my geography correctly.

Nice.  SW is the best, and well poised to make a run if and when this is all behind us.  I can anecdotally vouch for the pent up travel demand possibilities.  Enjoy wherever. 

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

Nice.  SW is the best, and well poised to make a run if and when this is all behind us.  I can anecdotally vouch for the pent up travel demand possibilities.  Enjoy wherever. 

Give me JetBlue any day over SW   I used to love them...      The whole seating groups etc bugs the crap out of me.    

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Give me JetBlue any day over SW   I used to love them...      The whole seating groups etc bugs the crap out of me.    

I love Jet blue. Used to fly the non stop to San Diego a lot.

SW has a direct to Orlando out of PVD and I have a zillion points.

Airport was a tomb this morning. First flight I’ve been on since this mess started. Most of the shops were closed in the airport. Let’s see what MCO looks like.

One of the guys that works for me went to Atlanta last month. He said Logan was dead dead but when he got to Hartsfield it was packed like a regular day.

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Airport was a tomb this morning. First flight I’ve been on since this mess started. Most of the shops were closed in the airport. Let’s see what MCO looks like.

One of the guys that works for me went to Atlanta last month. He said Logan was dead dead but when he got to Hartsfield it was packed like a regular day.

Jet blue is awesome....I fly them to Buffalo every year when I meet up with old college buddies for a football game (unfortunately not this year). But they are always so easy and I don't think I've had any delays with them. I did delta once or twice and they suck....got delayed 2 hours leaving BUF airport.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jet blue is awesome....I fly them to Buffalo every year when I meet up with old college buddies for a football game (unfortunately not this year). But they are always so easy and I don't think I've had any delays with them. I did delta once or twice and they suck....got delayed 2 hours leaving BUF airport.

Their first class or what they call Mint, is really nice. Seats basically lay flat, lots of room, and good food. I’ve flown it several times coast to coast and on a red eye cross country once. 

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ID card requirement is gonna be tricky....hippa act stuff. That's also a bit of a despotic road you don't want to go down.

Once the vaccine has been widely available for a couple months, you just lift all restrictions. If people don't want to get it, it's on them and it is not up to society to cater to them.

I think the last part is key; if you don’t want the vaccine, fine, that’s your choice, but we shouldn’t be keeping restrictions in place because we have a bunch of people who are unwilling to get the vaccine.

After everyone has had access to it, you are on your own.

Im not going to keep wearing a mask or not having gatherings because joe blow doesn’t believe in vaccinating.

24 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Yes, the pandora's box has been opened. The government almost never removes tools of control from its toolbox, it simply adds to them. I don't see how 1,000 flu deaths a day in December, January, March is somehow going to be "allowed" now... the govt will intervene to "slow the spread" again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the last part is key; if you don’t want the vaccine, fine, that’s your choice, but we shouldn’t be keeping restrictions in place because we have a bunch of people who are unwilling to get the vaccine.

After everyone has had access to it, you are on your own.

Im not going to keep wearing a mask or not having gatherings because joe blow doesn’t believe in vaccinating.

What if the "experts" tell you to?

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Their first class or what they call Mint, is really nice. Seats basically lay flat, lots of room, and good food. I’ve flown it several times coast to coast and on a red eye cross country once. 

Haven't had the pleasure of flying their first class yet....I've done it on other domestic airlines though over the years (usually getting lucky by being bumped to FC)

Best economy I ever flew though was Emirates when I flew to Dubai....their economy was like first class on domestic airlines. For the 13 hour flight, you got 3 meals plus a "snack" and alcoholic beverages were free.

50 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

How the heck would the govt mandate getting a vaccine, and how the heck would they enforce it? 
cops show up at your door with automatic weapons and a syringe?

I remember back in Middle/high school we were forced to get Hepatitis a/b I think? There was a date we had to have it by or we couldn't go back to school. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

What if the "experts" tell you to?

I was just having this conversation with a coworker this morning. How do we distinguish between who has, and had not had the vaccine? People are just going to begin claiming that they had it when pestered about a mask. I feel as though it will just continue to be mandated for a good year after the vaccine is released, which will increase the tension because people who get the vaccine, like myself, will be irritated.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I think that’s a different reason though. I’m fine with that. 

I'm definitely not, but it has been normalized so we don't feel like it's a huge deal anymore.

We think that hopping a flight from Chicago to Denver requires us to get body scanned and shoes taken off while standing in long security lines. 99.9% of the 9/11 risk was eliminated when they reinforced the cockpit doors.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I remember back in Middle/high school we were forced to get Hepatitis a/b I think? There was a date we had to have it by or we couldn't go back to school. 

There's a few required....polio was one...MMR is another I remember being required (and I think it still is)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I saw a picture of the Magical Express line the other day.   Super long... but prob due to social distancing.  Not sure if you use that service

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was just having this conversation with a coworker this morning. How do we distinguish between who has, and had not had the vaccine? People are just going to begin claiming that they had it when pestered about a mask. I feel as though it will just continue to be mandated for a good year after the vaccine is released, which will increase the tension because people who get the vaccine, like myself, will be irritated.

I have never encountered anyone like this, but I keep hearing stories about people who never wear a mask or socially-distance and can just say they are "exempt." Apparently there are lists of factors that make one "exempt" from having to follow the public health rules, ranging from physical disabilities, to racial profiling concerns, to "emotional distress" sort of things.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm definitely not, but it has been normalized so we don't feel like it's a huge deal anymore.

We think that hopping a flight from Chicago to Denver requires us to get body scanned and shoes taken off while standing in long security lines. 99.9% of the 9/11 risk was eliminated when they reinforced the cockpit doors.

People get creative with stupid shit. I mean unless we all get body scanned from head to toe ( I’m not aware that everyone does) then it’s no big deal for me. It’s not like they’re grabbing my crotch and telling me to cough. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yup.

I had to dump a 4 oz bottle of anti fog glasses cleaner this morning I had in my carry on because it exceeded the 3 oz maximum for carry on liquids. 
Yea, a 59 yo grey headed man with a wife and 2 kids in tow is a danger with anti fog cleaner 1 oz over an arbitrary limit.

Just now, PhineasC said:

I have never encountered anyone like this, but I keep hearing stories about people who never wear a mask or socially-distance and can just say they are "exempt." Apparently there are lists of factors that make one "exempt" from having to follow the public health rules, ranging from physical disabilities, to racial profiling concerns, to "emotional distress" sort of things.

I haven't, either.