Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We need a pledge from the govt that if we take this vaccine we are released from lockdowns, masks, etc. There is a lot of concern out there that they will mandate a vaccine and then still keep people masked-up and locked down anyway, which would suck. 

Of course. Even Fauci said that after the vaccine we'd still have to be careful for awhile. Whatever that means. The message isn't always clear, but I got the sense he was implying masks and social distancing still. F that.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Of course. Even Fauci said that after the vaccine we'd still have to be careful for awhile. Whatever that means. The message isn't always clear, but I got the sense he was implying masks and social distancing still. F that.

Said in a thick NY accent:

we’ll still need public health meh-zuahs for awhile.

i.e. Wear the mask and distance till I say so 

If they wait until there are no positive test, and using that horse shit PCR test, they’ll lay me out at the parlor in a mask 

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

A tricky problem for many Americans.  Don't get the vaccine but be willing to continue with masks, etc.?  Get the vaccine and have a document saying you are good and can attend concerts, not wear masks, etc?   

How would that work?   I am guessing my job will require vaccination... we had to for the H1N1 (I think??)

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We need a pledge from the govt that if we take this vaccine we are released from lockdowns, masks, etc. There is a lot of concern out there that they will mandate a vaccine and then still keep people masked-up and locked down anyway, which would suck. 

Got a link for this?

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

It’s going to be hard to justify jabbing yourself with a rushed, highly-experimental vaccine if it doesn’t even change things for you in terms of restrictions. 

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

It seems like we'd need to wear masks and try to socially distance while vaccines are being distributed during at least a portion of 2021. Doesnt sound that bad to me. Neither of those things are economically problematic. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A tricky problem for many Americans.  Don't get the vaccine but be willing to continue with masks, etc.?  Get the vaccine and have a document saying you are good and can attend concerts, not wear masks, etc?   

How would that work?   I am guessing my job will require vaccination... we had to for the H1N1 (I think??)

If the vaccine is truly 95% effective and widely available, they need to open us up. Anyone scared of getting the virus can get the vaccine. Those who refuse, clearly don’t care about COVID and we can’t worry about them. The government still keeping everyone restricted indefinitely because some recalcitrant buttheads refuse to the take the vaccine is a scary thought. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

Talk to people outside your bubble? Only 46% of Americans say they would even consider getting the vaccine in the first round. 

I'm not sure an EUA vaccine can be mandated by law. I've heard from a reliable source that 40% of healthcare workers are willing to get the shots on a national level. Nursing home residents get next priority. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

It seems like we'd need to wear masks and try to socially distance while vaccines are being distributed during at least a portion of 2021. Doesnt sound that bad to me. Neither of those things are economically problematic. 

Sure, but once you get the vaccine the restrictions for you should end. That needs to be the deal. 

• Like 1

Once there is widespread availability of the vaccine (i.e. no waiting for anyone who wants it), there should be no restrictions. Hopefully that means by the time we get into warm season 2021.

Just now, South Shore Slop said:

I'm not sure an EUA vaccine can be mandated by law. I've heard from a reliable source that 40% of healthcare workers are willing to get the shots on a national level. Nursing home residents get next priority. 

I'm sure after a certain amount of time has passed, they can mandate it for things like public schools (which already have vaccine requirements).....but yeah, in an absolute sense you can't actually force people to take a vaccine if they don't want to.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm sure after a certain amount of time has passed, they can mandate it for things like public schools (which already have vaccine requirements).....but yeah, in an absolute sense you can't actually force people to take a vaccine if they don't want to.

It was done in mass back in the day for polio. But I doubt they'd do it now...mostly because the anti vax movement is larger than ever and will cause the idiots to revolt. 

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

It was done in mass back in the day for polio. But I doubt they'd do it now...mostly because the anti vax movement is larger than ever and will cause the idiots to revolt. 

Are you surprised that suddenly minorities do not trust this vaccine? Seems kinda ridiculous to call them all idiots. 

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Government entities will never commit to that, they will reserve the right to reimpose whatever rules they feel necessary when deemed necessary.  Period. 
I would probably get vaccinated for the sake of those around me but I have no interest in carrying around a “Covid pass” or whatever. 

• Like 1

Its not suddenly. Its because of things like Tuskegee.

Ok, but distrust of a rushed, govt-enforced vaccine doesn’t make anyone an idiot. You can feel free to line up to be the first to get jabbed and then don your mask and hunker down at home for another six months anyway. That’s a perfectly legit choice to make. But others will be more wary.

• Like 1