Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Between the vaccine, natural immunity, and hopefully better hygiene and cleaning methods I would expect this.  Some things might have to shut down. Very targeted though.  
Over the weekend my school district announced that after this week we would be moving from hybrid to full remote for 2 weeks.  Not that big a deal since the two days before Thanksgiving would be remote anyway. 

I would not be shocked if they extend it through December 

My grandaughter is a hot mess with this remote learning stuff. She is straight A sophomore but plays all sports. Had 4 volleyball games and now they canceled her joy basketball. 

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ive known a few that had it. They said it wasn’t too bad.

My company did a test/pilot testing program of 300 people on site. They tested all 300 once a week for 4 weeks. That’s 1200 total test. Not one positive. I’m not really sure it’s coming out of work places. Then again, we’re 100% masked unless in a private office, 25% floor capacity, and I have limited occupancy in the lab where we can distance. I really think the distancing and the hand hygiene is more key then the masks. 

Yeah. It’s weird. My son’s university has been testing everyone twice a week and have had very few positives since August. 

Yet a church service in Fitchburg has resulted in over 150 cases with a couple of dozen currently (as of yesterday) hospitalized.  

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My grandaughter is a hot mess with this remote learning stuff. She is straight A sophomore but plays all sports. Had 4 volleyball games and now they canceled her joy basketball. 

Our daughter is a theater bug. Nothing since March. 
The remote learning is awful for some kids. Just awful. I was in a meeting about one of my students yesterday. He has been able to come into the building since we have been hybrid and does great.  When he is at home it is a complete shitshow.  The chaos and generally awful lives some kids have at home is insane.  
For some kids remote is perfect. But that is rare.  The vast majority of kids in the middle are getting by ok but it is far from ideal. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. It’s weird. My son’s university has been testing everyone twice a week and have had very few positives since August. 

Yet a church service in Fitchburg has resulted in over 150 cases with a couple of dozen currently (as of yesterday) hospitalized.  

Ive changed my mind on this more then once. I’m back to thinking it’s spread more by touch and surfaces. Too many anecdotes of people I know that got it and others I’ve talked to indicate to me that touch is a key driver. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ive changed my mind on this more then once. I’m back to thinking it’s spread more by touch and surfaces. Too many anecdotes of people I know that got it and others I’ve talked to indicate to me that touch is a key driver. 

So far no evidence of spread in the parks/resorts.  They are doing something right there. Cleaning like heck. Masking. Keeping people distant

They did test out some fireworks at MK last night.  

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Imagine if this was something with a >10% kill rate.  The problem will be, when something like that eventually comes along, everybody is going to be skeptical and unwilling to follow the suggested guidelines.

A kill rate that high wouldn’t be sustainable on the virus side.....it would just burn itself out I think.....this virus is new and just lethal enough to kill and spread at the same time....most survive while spreading it.....

Rapid tests are the key. I’ve said it before , but the PCR test needs to be scrapped.

Distribute millions of the Abbott rapid 15 minute tests and test about 10% f the population every few days. People who are sick enough with a high viral load and can pass it on will test positive. The PCR test is slow and flawed. 
Widespread use of the rapid test will do more than any lockdown of people’s businesses. 

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Rapid tests are the key. I’ve said it before , but the PCR test needs to be scrapped.

Distribute millions of the Abbott rapid 15 minute tests and test about 10% f the population every few days. People who are sick enough with a high viral load and can pass it on will test positive. The PCR test is slow and flawed. 
Widespread use of the rapid test will do more than any lockdown of people’s businesses. 

I’ve heard that the manufacturers have had trouble producing enough of some of the reagents (or something?) to keep up with demand for this. Hospitals in this area have been running short/borrowing from each other.   A fixable problem but current

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

COVID talk is a black hole. There hasn’t been a single person here fundamentally moved by anything said over the last eight months. Yet we keep finding ourselves in its gravitational pull. 

It’s a big country, with a lot of longstanding and complex issues only being exacerbated by this once a century disaster. There’s a lot of grief out there in a variety of contexts.

I certainly have learned a great deal since Feb. I thought at the time it was just another H1N1 situation but soon through discussions here it wasn't.  I never agreed with the lock downs in areas with minimal transmission and think it played a role in Covid Burnout . The stupid politicians and their absurd non scientific rules also screwed the pooch. Stay safe, be smart and let's hope we are all around for the vaccines.  Good news on immunity length came out today after exposure which would mean vaccines would provide decades of immunity 

• Like 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m also hearing stories of days and days for tests and results. Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of testing?

If I’m sick on Monday, but can’t get a test until Wednesday and then don’t get my results until the following Tuesday, what’s the point?

Thats the pcr reagent problem. Its why we need the rapid at home tests. 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m also hearing stories of days and days for tests and results. Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of testing?

If I’m sick on Monday, but can’t get a test until Wednesday and then don’t get my results until the following Tuesday, what’s the point?

I got my results in 12 hours

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I wouldn’t ever take the vaccine . Just like the flu shot. No thanks. But I do sell a lot of it interestingly enough 

I’ll take it... good chance it’s going to be required if you want to go to school, hospitals, large events, concerts, sporting events, etc etc.

I guess if you’re okay avoiding all that stuff, it’s ultimately your choice 

• Like 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s why the rapid test is the key. Even if it pops a few false negatives, if you test enough in  the same areas and catch the same person again a week  later, it’s better than using a PCR test that takes days to get the results back and calls god knows how many false positives because all its measuring in some cases are dead nucleotides. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I wouldn’t ever take the vaccine . Just like the flu shot. No thanks. But I do sell a lot of it interestingly enough 

Could I ask why you don’t get the flu vaccine?  I know a bunch of people who do not.  I know it isn’t largely effective, but my understanding is that it is incredibly safe.   

13 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Thats the pcr reagent problem. Its why we need the rapid at home tests. 

An at home test would be better , but that’s not an option right now. Takes a long while to get something like that. The Abbott test uses a standard instrument that is available at minute clinics and POC places. They could even be set up at large companies that have nurses, schools, really anywhere as long as a nurse that’s trained is at the location. 
Spending tax dollars on that, which is something that could help stop this, is far preferable than printing money to pay people to stay home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Because you probably went to the head of the line because you needed it to have your surgery.

I believe that. I also believe the hospital does its own not in the gen pop pool labs. Back under tomorrow with a 5 day stay in the petri dish ahead.  Been an extremely painful trip so far