Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

34 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Rumors swirling from family texts that Baker is about to announce another 4-6 week shutdown. 

How extensive?

Hopefully my company doesn’t shut the labs down again.  We’re technically essential, but we got shut down for 3 months last time. Not a whole lot that lab people can do from home,

9 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

How extensive?

Hopefully my company doesn’t shut the labs down again.  We’re technically essential, but we got shut down for 3 months last time. Not a whole lot that lab people can do from home,

I can’t imagine it would be a full lockdown like before. Probably limited to gyms, indoor dining, theaters...but that’s just pure speculation on my part.

4 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I can’t imagine it would be a full lockdown like before. Probably limited to gyms, indoor dining, theaters...but that’s just pure speculation on my part.

That’s my guess. 
My company still has the labs open in California and they’re shut down more then we are. Not sure we can afford to shut down the labs again like before. Those 3 months set the pipeline back at least 6 months. We even put clinical trials on hold.

My barber said if they shut them down again, he’ll give back door haircuts. He doesn’t care. He did he couldn’t afford another shut down. I know at least 2 gyms that said they’d stay open. They’re key card gyms with no personnel on site. 

The scale on this graph reflects the upward trend in deaths better.  Bottomed out around 700 per day earlier in Fall and now about 1200 per day.

If you check some of the individual states especially in the Plains and Midwest, deaths have really increased lately... to April numbers or worse in some cases.  It's coming for other regions too unless things tighten up.  Knowledge and treatments have gotten better since April, but not sure how many additional strides have been made since, say, August/September.

Screenshot_20201117-174134.thumb.png.05a7b3f91e3a9400c2db3253f32abdee.png

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The scale on this graph reflects the upward trend in deaths better.  Bottomed out around 700 per day earlier in Fall and now about 1200 per day.

If you check some of the individual states especially in the Plains and Midwest, deaths have really increased lately... to April numbers or worse in some cases.  It's coming for other regions too unless things tighten up.  Knowledge and treatments have gotten better since April, but not sure how many additional strides have been made since, say, August/September.

Screenshot_20201117-174134.thumb.png.05a7b3f91e3a9400c2db3253f32abdee.png

I’m a medical professional and I guess this may come of as heartless, but it’s a respiratory virus that won’t be stopped by masks, shut downs  lockdowns, etc. 

It will have to run it’s course. Yes, and some will die. Sucks big time. But that’s the way it is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m a medical professional and I guess this may come of as heartless, but it’s a respiratory virus that won’t be stopped by masks, shut downs  lockdowns, etc. 

It will have to run it’s course. Yes, and some will die. Sucks big time. But that’s the way it is. 

Not sure anywhere in his post he said “stopped”.  Good to know where you stand though.  Do nothing and let the virus run into course and kill countless humans without taking measures to lessen that number.  Heartless, unethical and disgrace to your profession.  Guess we should just stop with a vaccine as well since we should just let it “run its course”.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not sure anywhere in his post he said “stopped”.  Good to know where you stand though.  Do nothing and let the virus run into course and kill countless humans without taking measures to lessen that number.  Heartless, unethical and disgrace to your profession.  Guess we should just stop with a vaccine as well since we should just let it “run its course”.

You have a great evening now.

You don’t know shit about me so keep the personnel stuff out of it. Vaccines? I hope to hell they work. But you can’t stop death. It’s a fact of life. People will continue to die. Fact not opinion. You’d think after 9 months people would understand that now.

Been saying this since March... Americans may be willing to accept 1,000 deaths a day in exchange for freedom of movement and jobs. You guys can stomp and be angry about how heartless and horrible that is, but it's reality, especially for working class Americans who are one more lockdown away from losing their jobs, homes, everything. 

I expect much more pushback against lockdowns if they are tried again than we saw in the spring.

• Like 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

Been saying this since March... Americans may be willing to accept 1,000 deaths a day in exchange for freedom of movement and jobs. You guys can stomp and be angry about how heartless and horrible that is, but it's reality, especially for working class Americans who are one more lockdown away from losing their jobs, homes, everything. 

I expect much more pushback against lockdowns if they are tried again than we saw in the spring.

There won’t be any lockdowns . Even the folks that are most scared of it on here like Runaway, Tauntonblizz and others don’t want them . Which is a far cry from Morch and Napril and how they felt .

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There won’t be any lockdowns . Even the folks that are most scared of it on here like Runaway, Tauntonblizz and others don’t want them . Which is a far cry from Morch and Napril and how they felt .

To be clear, I never supported the type of broadbrush lockdowns we had, and wouldn’t now, either.

At the same time, that doesn’t mean I want to throw my hands up and say “oh well, the deaths are what they are” 

It’s not an either or proposition, I don’t think most folks can afford another lockdown, but we can do things better than we have recently.

I’m not personally worried about getting the virus, I’m 26 years old, more than likely, I’ll be fine, but I do have older immune compromised parents 

• Like 1

I’m thoroughly ****ing exhausted by the extremes on this.  “Do nothing” is not happening and “shutting the country” isn’t happening either.  Get your heads out of your asses and do some common sense critical thinking on what we can do that works for all.   Masks, social distancing, proper hygiene, restricting gatherings, remote learning and working, federal stimulus to support people whose jobs are lost, or shut down during this, etc....  Until a vaccine becomes available to the masses sitting idly and doing nothing is going to cause more damage to the world then trying to save people’s lives and livelihoods.

• Like 3

People are doing what they can. I travel a lot up and down the east coast these days, and I see very strong mask-wearing and social distancing adherence everywhere I go. Yelling at people that the virus is still killing people because they are not masking, distancing, and teleworking hard enough has become counterproductive, especially for the working class who can't do these things as easily as a keyboard jockey behind a desk can. How much more is expected of these people? Many of them have been working non-stop exposed to massive viral load for six months straight! But now they are still causing grandma to die and must do more?

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Closing brick and mortar retail stores without any type of financial assistance for them would be an absolute economic disaster. 
Every downtown in the state would be empty and abandoned store fronts by spring.

Just now, PhineasC said:

People are doing what they can. I travel a lot up and down the east coast these days, and I see very strong mask-wearing and social distancing adherence everywhere I go. Yelling at people that the virus is still killing people because they are not masking, distancing, and teleworking hard enough has become counterproductive, especially for the working class who can't do these things as easily as a keyboard jockey behind a desk can. How much more is expected of these people? Many of them have been working non-stop exposed to massive viral load for six months straight! But now they are still causing grandma to die and must do more?

i've been working the whole time me and my co-workers haven't gotten sick

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That’s ok. I’ve been called worse. He’s on edge. I just tell the truth and some dont like it. 
Eh, what can you do?

You just literally tossed the entire medical profession in the dumpster by stating we should do nothing.  Unless you prefaced your statement, that includes the development of a vaccine.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You just literally tossed the entire medical profession in the dumpster by stating we should do nothing.  Unless you prefaced your statement, that includes the development of a vaccine.

I've posted this before but there's clearly some additional opportunity cost in targeted interventions to get us through the winter to more widespread vaccine use. Got to pass some stimulus and make people whole who are financially hurting though. 

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Dude,  calm the fook down. I dont have time to write a war and peace post every time. Sure I think a vaccine is great. I never said do nothing. My point was that you really can’t mask and lock down your way out of this. 
You’re obviously triggered. 
Again, have a good evening. I’m going to the happiest place on earth tomorrow for 10 days. You need to chill and relax too.

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Today's death toll looks like it will be 1572.   (Johns Hopkins site).    That will be the highest since Mid May.  (There was one day Aug 1rst it jumped to 1800, not sure why).  So deaths are starting to tick up for sure.  As I have stated on this board my brother is a doctor in the DC area that treats Covid patients and is on his hospitals Covid Committee and also advises for the State of Virginia.  He says deaths are way down as compared to the spring because hospitals know so much more about Covid and how to treat very ill patients.  He feels the next couple of months are going to be devastating but then with the 2 vaccines coming out Covid will basically be a thing of the past in the US by this summer.  His hospital (Inova Fairfax, 1100 beds) expects to have all its medical staff vaccinated by Christmas.