Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We really had no idea that you had to pay to ski down that road. Plus they were kind of jerks about it.

Edit: I should say two of us had no idea you had to pay to ski down that road. I am guessing our buddy who worked in N Conway might have had some insight into it.

Footage of you from the trail cams? A shame you had to leave your rendezvous. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, klw said:

Do you know that they increased the quarantine requirements again?  You have to quarantine for 7 days at home and then have a negative test or quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19/travel-quarantine/visitors-vermont

First option if you read carefully is a 14 day home quarantine (in home state) OR 7 day home quarantine and a negative Covid test (when taking own vehicle)

that first option is what has kept the travel industry afloat in VT

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Years ago I skied down the mount Washington auto road with two friends not realizing it was restricted to paying customers.  
The snow cat driver demanded we pay and we just laughed. They were two police cars at the bottom as we came down!  We waved to them as they furiously signaled us to come down and we bolted down a side trail my buddy knew never to be seen again.

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The market is insane right now.  People buying everything in sight.  

Western Massachusetts too.  Realtor friends saying houses are going within days of hitting the market generally for over asking price. 

Many of them are being bought as second homes. Especially the more rural properties within striking distance of Northampton

It’s one thing when it’s somebody like Phin buying a mountain house where nobody lives. The issue around here is that it is really screwing people who actually live and work here and are looking to purchase a first home or upgrade due to growing family size. 

Another phenomenon happening right now is wealthy families who have kids in the 5 college system are buying houses and condos so Junior doesn’t have to live in the dorms. Worse is that they are renting apartments for the same purpose.  It has caused a real housing shortage of decent places to live.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wouldn’t surprise me, the freight train is rolling now.

Meanwhile my entire county has only had seven new cases in the past week.

It will get there.  Just slowly.  My little hamlet was briefly in the old red before they dropped back into grey.  Wash yer hands 

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Western Massachusetts too.  Realtor friends saying houses are going within days of hitting the market generally for over asking price. 

Many of them are being bought as second homes. Especially the more rural properties within striking distance of Northampton

It’s one thing when it’s somebody like Phin buying a mountain house where nobody lives. The issue around here is that it is really screwing people who actually live and work here and are looking to purchase a first home or upgrade due to growing family size. 

Another phenomenon happening right now is wealthy families who have kids in the 5 college system are buying houses and condos so Junior doesn’t have to live in the dorms. Worse is that they are renting apartments for the same purpose.  It has caused a real housing shortage of decent places to live.

Someone told me the same thing is happening in Berlin, NH. Any decent house is being immediately snatched up. Also a lot of flipping going on which usually jacks up the price above what the locals can afford. 

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Someone told me the same thing is happening in Berlin, NH. Any decent house is being immediately snatched up. Also a lot of flipping going on which usually jacks up the price above what the locals can afford. 

I can’t complain because our house value is up at least 20% since March.  I can’t say the same for my friends who have houses/condos in Boston and NYC. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I can’t complain because our house value is up at least 20% since March.  I can’t say the same for my friends who have houses/condos in Boston and NYC. 

We bought our townhome after the 2008 crash, cheaply when the housing market imploded.  We will double that investment at least.  But our chances for straight homeownership in this area are going to be quite hard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

We bought our townhome after the 2008 crash, cheaply when the housing market imploded.  We will double that investment at least.  But our chances for straight homeownership in this area are going to be quite hard.

Let’s see how it all shakes out. When Covid is under control you might see a nice correction downward.?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am very fortunate I got my house. I had to move fast and buy it sight-unseen at the height of the first wave, and I still almost lost out to a higher bid. 

I still can’t believe the price you got that for.  That price is a starter home in Stowe and Waterbury isn’t far behind.  I could sell my 1,200 square foot townhome for like half the price of that estate lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Let’s see how it all shakes out. When Covid is under control you might see a nice correction downward.?

Yeah, we saw a big Vail bump too once they bought the resort.  All the sudden Epic Pass holders in Boston and NY got real interested in weekend places in Stowe...more than usual.  They can own a place in Vail/Breck/Park City/etc and own in Stowe and then just use their pass at all of their homes!  lol.  They fly their private jets from White Plains to MVL.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Sometimes I wish we just bought a townhome instead. It’s nice to have a private 2 acres here but man...it’s constant work. If we didn’t have kids, I would sell this and make life a little easier. 

I was just posting over in the PR Covid thread how I think governors are going to be under a lot of pressure with how they approach any shut downs.  We have entered the busiest retail season of the year.
Shutting down brick and mortar businesses will be disastrous for business owners and local economies. There will be a tremendous pushback too.  I do not want friends or family getting sick but I also do not want to live in a world where online ordering is my only option for retail goods.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I still can’t believe the price you got that for.  That price is a starter home in Stowe and Waterbury isn’t far behind.  I could sell my 1,200 square foot townhome for like half the price of that estate lol.

The seller was a bit of a nut and had a terrible local agent who didn’t understand the house at all or the appeal. I was lucky that by the time she caught on and started getting bigger offers she had already accepted my offer and couldn’t back out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

The seller was a bit of a nut and had a terrible local agent who didn’t understand the house at all or the appeal. I was lucky that by the time she caught on and started getting bigger offers she had already accepted my offer and couldn’t back out. 

I see a lot of that down here. Some agents not from the area asking for dumb prices. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I was just posting over in the PR Covid thread how I think governors are going to be under a lot of pressure with how they approach any shut downs.  We have entered the busiest retail season of the year.
Shutting down brick and mortar businesses will be disastrous for business owners and local economies. There will be a tremendous pushback too.  I do not want friends or family getting sick but I also do not want to live in a world where online ordering is my only option for retail goods.

Bring back Sears. :( 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Makes sense, that was a steal for that square footage, property, view, etc.  Well done dude.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sometimes I wish we just bought a townhome instead. It’s nice to have a private 2 acres here but man...it’s constant work. If we didn’t have kids, I would sell this and make life a little easier. 

I hear you but having grown up a city boy I love a big yard even though I cannot keep up with “home and gardens” look.  I’m sure a few neighbors wish I would but our property is not messy or run down it’s just a little bit wild looking.

We are on 3 acres with great neighbors about 150’ feet on each side of us and our backyard empties out into pretty big woods.  I love the idea of being able to walk into the backyard and just keep walking for an hour with no roads or houses to be seen.

Do I miss being able to walk into town sometimes?  Absolutely.

• Like 1