Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

21 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Melina told me that your gym teacher's are pretty much doing hardly anything.  What a joke on-line gym class must have been prior to the "hybrid" this week. 

They still cannot do gym in person.  Our school's gym is now being used as a second cafeteria.  They are stuck doing all of their classes remotely.

18 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

The wife is currently getting her PHD in the medical field, and her brother works for Moderna so there is they are pretty tied into all things, virus related.  She seems more hardcore than he does, but I fear that the whole thing will take its toll on the kid in some form.  Facetime meetings, and one 3 hour visit this summer, but that has been about it as far as communication between my girlfriend and her nephew. 

Finger on the trigger to buy some stock, but not sure they are going to eclipse PFZ's 90% efficacy, although they do have the less rigid temp requirement for the vax. Plus, if mRNA tech works as well as it looks it might, their market cap should really take off given their whole platform is RNA based

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Finger on the trigger to buy some stock, but not sure they are going to eclipse PFZ's 90% efficacy, although they do have the less rigid temp requirement for the vax. Plus, if mRNA tech works as well as it looks it might, their market cap should really take off given their whole platform is RNA based

That’s still a one day buy and sell.  Take some profit and get out.

21 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Regarding limiting the # of daily skiers. Are places in VT, NH, ME going to do the same where they will only let so many on the mtn? Will you need to make a reservation and will season pass holders be given priority over day trippers? We've got our annual SR trip planned for Feb and will pick up a few other day trips throughout the season, but it's looking more like a PITA to make it worthwhile. I see lots more snowmobiling this season

Depends on the mountain.  But I can bet you every mountain has a limit in place right now, this is not the year for spur of the moment trips...plan ahead with the place you want to visit.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean that seemed to be the jive I got from people who posted about Keystone, CO opening last weekend.  Usually it’s a mad house on opening weekend, but articles written about it gave the impression that many enjoyed that low-key empty experience to the total gong-show that it normally is (if you got a reservation for it).

Like they’d rather wait 15 min for a wide open table and plenty of space in a lodge as opposed to the old first come first serve people crawling over others to get to their stuff experience.  They also said the slopes were much more empty and felt safer than having thousands of folks bombing down.

I think the ski industry might learn or change some things too from this... but the frugal skier usually loses in that case. 

Yeah... like everything else, it’ll be geared to those that have the money. An example being people willing to walk up to the window and pay full price as opposed to looking for discounts on ski sites.

Me thinks days of being able to easily find discounts on lift tickets if you are willing to take 5 minutes to look are gone 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... like everything else, it’ll be geared to those that have the money. An example being people willing to walk up to the window and pay full price as opposed to looking for discounts on ski sites.

Me thinks days of being able to easily find discounts on lift tickets if you are willing to take 5 minutes to look are gone 

2020, the year skiing went from a middle class/upper middle class hobby to a silver spoon hobby. :thumbsdown:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2020, the year skiing went from a middle class/upper middle class hobby to a silver spoon hobby. :thumbsdown:

Yeah half joking but also there will be a lot of people who find an uncrowded lodge and mountain a better experience...but half the fun is walking into a crowded ski lodge on a Saturday morning and taking a deep breath to relax lol.

I still think ski areas find it’s better to have volume in the end.  Volume drives ancillary lines of business and is what will drive future interest in the sport.  If retention rate is a certain percent of visitors, you want as many to visit as possible.

But COVID man, these numbers need to start going down if we want to have a season.  There are many in the industry across the northeast that are quite alarmed that we could be going back to March style numbers if we aren’t there already.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, OSUmetstud said:

We're still doing a piss-poor job of protecting these places. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, OSUmetstud said:

Yes it sucks. It really does imo drive the point home than we are all interconnected and it is extremely difficult to shield/protect the vulnerable inside and outside nursing homes when there is large amounts of community spread. 

It's nearly impossible. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:39 AM, OSUmetstud said:

That's what I thought NY State implemented pretty soon after the first big wave, but I'm not sure how widespread the policy nationally. Logistically speaking, it does seem extremely difficult to keep the disease out of nursing homes. The same thing is happening in Europe now, too. Community Spread == Nursing home spread 

NYS is testing us once a week.  They were testing twice a week for a while but the cost was enormous.  They are not testing hospital workers at all from what I know.

Staff are the ones spreading it in nursing homes.   As long as the nursing home workers aren't isolating after work it will continue to spread in these facilities.  

It's a terrible situation.   It's very hard to stop the spread because the ventilation is awful, residents need to take their masks off to eat and it's impossible to keep a mask on someone with severe dementia. 

• Sad 1

Both COVID and the COVID lockdowns/quarantines affect people more the further down the economic ladder you go. That's why I find it pretty disingenuous for upper-middle class office worker and "journalist" types to be calling for more draconian lockdowns to "save lives." They have the money and status to ride this out in luxury. Don't even get me started on Hollywood and politician types making these calls from their mansions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Both COVID and the COVID lockdowns/quarantines affect people more the further down the economic ladder you go. That's why I find it pretty disingenuous for upper-middle class office worker and "journalist" types to be calling for more draconian lockdowns to "save lives." They have the money and status to ride this out in luxury. Don't even get me started on Hollywood and politician types making these calls from their mansions.

There's plenty of debate to be had on lockdown severity and the pros/cons of it....but this isn't the thread for discussing general lockdown policy....we all know where most everyone stands on it and it always goes around in circles.

I think it's fine to discuss local covid-related issues in here (i.e. what our local schools are doing, local ski areas, etc, etc) but when we start going back to generalizations and policy theory/discussion, it inevitably just turns into a political discussion. 

21 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, the “country club ski resort” model would result in a lot fewer jobs and tremendous resentment from locals towards the “club members”.   

Isn't this essentially what places like the Hermitage Club already are? Country club setting for a ski resort. Out west, you get even bigger/more exclusive ones like Yellowstone Club.

I'd hope that there are enough survivors post-covid to keep prices reasonable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We'll just have to skin up Blue Hill illegally. :lol: 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Homeschooling is a way better bet than what is happening in the schools right now, assuming you can swing it (it's a big commitment).

So glad we did it. Never looking back.

greatest decision my family made! We have actually been homeschooling for 3 years now and haven't missed a beat...We have missed the lack of sports though. Thankfully we moved back in August and our cul-de-sac has multiple families with kids almost all the same age and they are getting together to play almost everyday, social distancing of course. I can;t even imagine what it would be like if both of us worked and had to deal with the on and off remote schooling, just a nightmare.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We'll just have to skin up Blue Hill illegally. :lol: 

Years ago I skied down the mount Washington auto road with two friends not realizing it was restricted to paying customers.  
The snow cat driver demanded we pay and we just laughed. They were two police cars at the bottom as we came down!  We waved to them as they furiously signaled us to come down and we bolted down a side trail my buddy knew never to be seen again.

:ph34r:

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Years ago I skied down the mount Washington auto road with two friends not realizing it was restricted to paying customers.  
The snow cat driver demanded we pay and we just laughed. They were two police cars at the bottom as we came down!  We waved to them as they furiously signaled us to come down and we bolted down a side trail my buddy knew never to be seen again.

LOL! That's great. We may see Phin slide down by the cog and down Adams into his back yard.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I got investigated at Gore when I was 16 by Warren County Sheriff’s office for skiing in the woods.  I didn’t duck a rope but Patrol didn’t like skiing off-trail at that time.  I got stopped in the base area at Gore and then met with a deputy.  The only reason they didn’t charge me was a) apologize profusely for skiing powder in the trees and b) I never ducked a rope so they couldn’t pin me on that.

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Isn't this essentially what places like the Hermitage Club already are? Country club setting for a ski resort. Out west, you get even bigger/more exclusive ones like Yellowstone Club.

Yeah you get to basic supply and demand too as ski areas close over time.  Continued demand and less places to do it means higher prices for all.  

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A friend of mine has a place at Yellowstone. Just a different world.

21 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That is the first time I have heard this story.  You have just advanced several notches in my book    Kudos

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW Berkshire East purchased the Hermitage out of bankruptcy this year and they are going to reopen as a non-profit.  But the deed requires them to remain private, which presumably was a condition of the original sale from Mt Snow.  At any rate, the country club demand can't be too high considering that's basically the only one and they were broke.  That said, put a country club on Mansfield and you might have something.  Release the hounds on the riff raff.

• Like 1