Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

Sorry to hear, Bob.  Cherish the time you can still have with him

Thanks.  My wife has been going 1 day on the weekend since March to help hre mother out.  I can't remember the last time I got to see him in person.  I did speak briefly with him on Facetime when he came home from Hospital in March. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

So Biden wants to shut down for 4-6 wks and says one of his scientists says we can emulate what Australia and NZ did. Really? That's not going to work and to even think the US is comparable to two islands in the southern hemisphere is ridiculous. it's a non-starter for so many reasons.

It's a non-starter because we are a nation of idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That suck Jerry.  My FIL is the same.  He's going on 8mo now since being diagnosed with a glioblastoma.  We're in a holding pattern until the chemo stops working or he has some sort of stroke/aneurysm due to the swelling in his brain. We're planning on Thanksgiving in CT for a small gathering.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is FIL?

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’m here.  My FIL is at end of life.  That’s why we’re here.  Every time he requires something only a hospital could do acutely, he worries about being admitted.  My answer is don’t worry-they need all the beds they can have.  It’s a shit show here...   

That said, it does have a vibe of normality.   We’re staying with my wife’s sister and family-lots of room and both of us with negative tests before arriving.  My sister in laws bday is Saturday and she’s expecting to have an outdoor gathering Sunday with expected temperatures in the 50s.   Hopefully my FIL will still be here but no way could he tolerate 50s in his current condition.  Doubtful this comes off.  Sad times in the family.   We want to get our daughter here but it may not work out with the pandemic going wild and her caregiving job in VT for which she’d most assuredly need to quarantine for upon her return.   

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That suck Jerry.  My FIL is the same.  He's going on 8mo now since being diagnosed with a glioblastoma.  We're in a holding pattern until the chemo stops working or he has some sort of stroke/aneurysm due to the swelling in his brain. We're planning on Thanksgiving in CT for a small gathering.

So sorry, guys.

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Lot's of people aren't okay with ruining the economy due to a .01% mortality rate. The vulnerable should quarantine.

Let me clarify....if you want to argue that the US opened too soon, I'm not sure that I would disagree. But I think closing the economy again for over a month would do more harm than good. I get it...my own mother is vulnerable, but I can't justify risking a depression when she can just remain quarantined, which she essentially has done. Not to mention the psychological impact on people....especially children, since the whole educational institution is such a catalyst for social development.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

So Biden wants to shut down for 4-6 wks and says one of his scientists says we can emulate what Australia and NZ did. Really? That's not going to work and to even think the US is comparable to two islands in the southern hemisphere is ridiculous. it's a non-starter for so many reasons.

That'll never happen.

We'll keep doing what we're doing until we get shot up with Pfizer's witches brew.

The vulnerable are trying to quarantine as much as they can, but time and time again we see that large amounts of community spread "drips" down to the vulnerable folks. Nursing home covid deaths are still very high, even now, after all we know. And people in nursing homes represent a small fraction of the vulnerable people in the United States. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Has NPR bumped their "Fact check" article about how it's likely not legal here yet?

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/825293201/a-president-is-not-able-to-order-a-national-quarantine-experts-say

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Lot's of people aren't okay with ruining the economy due to a .01% mortality rate. The vulnerable should quarantine.

I have heard from reliable outlets that less than .5% of USA's  total population ( Elderly Care facilities ) are responsible for 40% of the Covid deaths. That would heavily skew the elderly mortality data between those in elderly care facilities and those in other situations (such as living at home or with family) also as viral load maybe a leading cause of severe cases that would sort of emphasize what a gargantuan disaster governors who argued to "discriminate against returning covid positive patients back to their home would violate their rights" . I would like to know what the policy is this year. 

Ruin the economy, and then you are dependent on Government.  That sounds...like the direction the globe is headed. What an opportunity for a Reset of Capitalism . I'm being cynical and somewhat tongue in cheek ..but the fact remains their is tremendous opportunity. A financially depressed globe full of debt stressed soverign nations,  depressed industry , highest % of populations collecting pandemic unemployment EVER (and it's not close)  and depressed citizens of all ages .. tends to be  open to ideas that they otherwise would not be. That doesn't mean such solutions will come to fruition but to ignore that is to ignore some history and  human nature . 

Also great when your counting on a congress that can't pass pandemic aid since August. If folks want to entertain ideas like Biden's "covid man" Osterholm...you can't do it without causing forced poverty of millions MORE unless congress actually agrees to pay folks replacement wages like Osterholm (to his credit emphasizes/ suggests).  

Because some countries certainly have Tremendously dropped their numbers, so it can be done, the key is the cost has to be minimized from a humanitarian perspective. Knowing the USA and Moscow mitch we will probably/potentially? see a blend of a worst case scenario for lives and economy thou we would  see a better chance of a good response (if cases go sky high and economy re-enters recession)

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Let me clarify....if you want to argue that the US opened too soon, I'm not sure that I would disagree. But I think closing the economy again for over a month would do more harm than good. I get it...my own mother is vulnerable, but I can't justify risking a depression when she can just remain quarantined, which she essentially has done. Not to mention the psychological impact on people....especially children, since the whole educational institution is such a catalyst for social development.

This

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I have heard from reliable outlets that less than .5% of USA's  total population ( Elderly Care facilities ) are responsible for 40% of the Covid deaths. That would heavily skew the elderly mortality data between those in elderly care facilities and those in other situations (such as living at home or with family) also as viral load maybe a leading cause of severe cases that would sort of emphasize what a gargantuan disaster governors who argued to "discriminate against returning covid positive patients back to the home would be wrong. I would like to know what the policy is this year. 

Ruin the economy, and then you are dependent on Government.  That sounds...like the direction the globe is headed. What an opportunity for a Reset of Capitalism . I'm being cynical and somewhat tongue in cheek ..but the fact remains their is tremendous opportunity 

Also great when your counting on a congress that can't pass pandemic aid since August. If folks want to entertain ideas like Biden's "covid man" Osterholm...you can't do it without causing forced poverty of millions MORE unless congress actually agrees to pay folks replacement wages like Osterholm (to his credit emphasizes/ suggests). 

Because some countries certainly have Tremendously dropped their numbers, so it can be done, the key is the cost has to be minimized from a humanitarian perspective. Knowing the USA and Moscow mitch we will probably see a blend of a worst case scenario for lives and economy. 

We're still doing a piss-poor job of protecting these places. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

We're still doing a piss-poor job of protecting these places. 

I really have a heavy heavy feeling in my heart of those folks, who are so isolated , so vulnerable (and the workers subject to huge viral loads) . It is really sickening to me. I wonder how many folks have been pulled from nursing homes since it became obvious these places are ground zero

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I really have a heavy heavy feeling in my heart of those folks, who are so isolated , so vulnerable (and the workers subject to huge viral loads) . It is really sickening to me. I wonder how many folks have been pulled from nursing homes since the first wave dissipated. 

Yes it sucks. It really does imo drive the point home than we are all interconnected and it is extremely difficult to shield/protect the vulnerable inside and outside nursing homes when there is large amounts of community spread. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yes it sucks. It really does imo drive the point home than we are all interconnected and it is extremely difficult to shield/protect the vulnerable inside and outside nursing homes when there is large amounts of community spread. 

Are they still bringing Covid postive patients back to Elderly care facilites to recover after hopsital stays or just leaving them in there to spread in THAT community

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Are they still bringing Covid postive patients back to Elderly care facilites to recover after hopsital stays or just leaving them in there to spread in THAT community

No. I don't believe that's happening anymore and hasn't happened for some time. I know folks want to blame the big state governors for a lot of the early nursing home deaths, but what's the excuse now? Unknowing and asymptomatic staff bringing it into facilities has always been the major driver imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

No. I don't believe that's happening anymore and hasn't happened for some time. I know folks want to blame the big state governors for a lot of the early nursing home deaths, but what's the excuse now? Unknowing and asymptomatic staff bringing it into facilities has always been the major driver imo. 

The blame game is always easy to play for anyone pointing different fingers but not in other folks shoes. Still a bad decision is a bad decision. 

I would guess testing  the nurses/ aids every morning prior to shift Would seem like the humane thing to do...or does that cut into LT care profits too much. Seems Stimulus money going toward funding those sort of policies would save the most lives. 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The blame game is always easy to play for anyone pointing different fingers but not in other folks shoes. Still a bad decision is a bad decision. 

I would guess testing  the nurses/ aids every morning prior to shift Would seem like the humane thing to do...or does that cut into LT care profits too much. Seems Stimulus money going toward funding those sort of policies would save the most lives. 

That's what I thought NY State implemented pretty soon after the first big wave, but I'm not sure how widespread the policy nationally. Logistically speaking, it does seem extremely difficult to keep the disease out of nursing homes. The same thing is happening in Europe now, too. Community Spread == Nursing home spread 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That would be my guess.  I know that most of these homes cut everything as close to the bone as possible.  They look at things such as minimum staffing requirements as their baseline, not as the absolute minumum.

Legal immunity for nursing homes was just extended Monday in CT.

Despite objections from advocates and family members with loved ones in nursing homes, officials with Gov. Ned Lamont’s administration said Monday they would extend legal immunity for those facilities and for hospitals through Feb. 9.

https://ctmirror.org/2020/11/09/over-objections-from-advocates-lamont-to-extend-legal-immunity-for-nursing-homes-hospitals/

52 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I really have a heavy heavy feeling in my heart of those folks, who are so isolated , so vulnerable (and the workers subject to huge viral loads) . It is really sickening to me. I wonder how many folks have been pulled from nursing homes since it became obvious these places are ground zero

I took my mom out in late march. She had a stroke and heart valve issue in February. She went to two nursing homes/ rehab after hospital stay. She is now living with me. The worst part was not being able to see her. Yea it really is sickening. Need to get the vaccine to these vulnerable people asap even with the unknown about potential side effects. In these cases its probably worth the risk.

• Sad 2