Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s almost no one that thinks kids should be home . Get out and if you’re  gonna get this flu bug.. get it and then move on with normal life 

Yes, I seem to remember Herman Cain advocating something similar. Why don't you lick a few doorknobs down at the local ICU and show us the way. It's just the flu, after all. Get it over with.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

We've been told to follow" the science " ....follow "the science"..... follow "the science". I ask when are we ?  When it comes to our schools.  It's been proven for months that schools aren't spreading the virus . Nationally and globally for that matter.  This really angers the heck out of me . My youngest..a 10th grader is due to go back in person tomorrow but I'm betting money they pull the rug out last second just like 5 weeks ago.  She's wayy behind in assignments and struggling lately . And she is /was a strait A student.  Parents aren't going to stand for this much longer ...including me .

And the craziness of it all is the individual Md counties put out their own metrics that needed to be met but lol they were well inside those metrics for like 2 months almost across the board so why didnt hybrid start in September for at least elementary and middle schools . The goal posts constantly moving . 

Not a popular opinion in some circles, but I think the remote school thing is only tangentially related to COVID. There are other factors at play involving teacher's unions and school boards, as well as state funding questions.'

Definitely annoying to hear people I know without kids opining on how schools need to stay closed indefinitely to "keep us all safe." 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not a popular opinion in some circles, but I think the remote school thing is only tangentially related to COVID. There are other factors at play involving teacher's unions and school boards, as well as state funding questions.'

Definitely annoying to hear people I know without kids opining on how schools need to stay closed indefinitely to "keep us all safe." 

My daughter is under quaritine cause the teacher and student in class tested positive. With that being said I'm not worried about it.

I'm still fine with her going back to school because I know she needs it just like all kids.

Even the kids that are doing distant learning are testing positive. And thats because those kids are not staying home. Even when at home I'm sure surfaces arnt cleaned at much as a school and not wearing a mask indoors to stop spread of virus.    Schools are not source of spread, RI governor agrees with that.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Our District did a phased in opening which started a few weeks back.  My daughter is still at home since she's a senior and the last cohort to go back.  She starts December 7th.  All teachers have been teaching from the classroom since day 1 though.  The workload is back to as if they were in class so she's definitely busy, and learning, which is a plus.  I feel for families with younger kids who have to work.  No idea how that gets accomplished if you have to go to work and schools are remote.  It's a mess. 

My wife works from home full time and I literally spend half the day saying “shh, mom is on a zoom call”. It’s not fair to them because really, they are just being normal 5, 7 and 8 year olds.  Our 5 year old daughter has gotten good at the virtual thing, but she’s still a 5 year old and you can’t just leave her alone to do it.  Honestly, my wife is a superhero for figuring it out when I’m not home.  But these are all the selfish reasons for wanting them back.  What really bothers me is I know at their age, they are not getting the same education and lacking the social interaction they need.  Most Teachers are working hard at it and deserve credit, but it will never be the same and no one will convince me otherwise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I believe what I said is we need to check back after Inauguration Day.

But feel free to believe there was a magic anti-COVID shield around the protests and parties that didn't exist at Sturgis and rallies. 

Pretty sure you said no more COVID coverage on MSM after 11/4. I’m sure someone could dig up those posts. Not worth the effort though. Everyone take care of yourselves and do what you think is best for your situation. Enough with the politicization of every single thing. It’s tiring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

For many students, this will be a lost year. This affects the students who were already struggling most greatly. They are now in an even deeper hole. Students who were already ahead and are self-learners are going to widen the gap with their peers. Sounds like a recipe for even greater disparity in outcomes.

I listen to it happening daily with my kid’s online class sessions. Fortunately he is in the latter category you mentioned.  
Although Franklin County is rural and unpopulated compared to the rest of the state most schools here are full remote.  
We also have almost no Covid. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

A lot of ignorance and "it will never happen to me/my loved ones" in this thread. I'll leave it at that.

There is no blanket judgement that applies to everyone in terms of how we think about this virus. Everyone has different factors they weigh in terms of the costs and benefits of staying at home versus going out. For some people, the small risk from dying of COVID does not outweigh the benefits of being social, going out, working an in-person job, etc. For many people, it isn't even possible to work from home or "stay safe" and so the calculus many office-workers have with #StayHomeStaySafe isn't relevant at all to their decision-making. The average grocery store worker simply can't stay home to stay safe. Doesn't work that way for him/her. This is why I don't like broad-brush government "solutions" to problems like this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The question would be is if they delayed the press release for a day or whatever so that he could make the money on the trade. 

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The speculation I've seen is the sale date of the CEO's shares was predetermined some time ago.  The CEO just timed his comments to influence the share price just before the shares were scheduled for sale. 

It stinks, but probably not breaking any laws.

30 minutes ago, alex said:

I've seen several times and they really just look like a scrawny dog. Hard to hate anything that remotely looks like a dog to me. But the howling at night is very creepy :)

I agree 100%.   The howls waking you up from a deep sleep are the worst.  Here is a clip from my Nest Cam from a couple of years ago

https://home.nest.com/camera/38f8f3baed6c45d093cfa955f6b8fc73/clips

I’ve seen the same handful of people since March, wear a mask whenever required to do so, and haven’t been anywhere you’d really consider a high risk. I’ve been out to eat once and haven’t been to any theaters gyms or anything like that.

It is what it is, trying to do my best... we will be seeing some family for thanksgiving, in the safest way we can do it. Can’t completely shut down living your life 

• Like 1