Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We're not shutting everything down like we did before but we are going to see a more concerted effort from the top down to mitigate with whatever measures can be done to draw out this virus at a reduced level so as to not overwhelm the healthcare system again.

The opportunity cost for delaying infections as gone way up based on the last vaccine candidate news. There is less indefinence than there was previously.  

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Can we have the intellectual courage to say these parties caused a rise in cases after we spent the entire summer saying that Trump rallies and Sturgis were killing people? Can we be just the tiniest bit consistent on this?

I never stated the Sturgis and Trump rallies were killing people.  They were certainly super-spreader events that lead to an increase in cases though.  Just like all the celebrations across the Country that occurred over the weekend.  Those will lead to increased cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I never stated the Sturgis and Trump rallies were killing people.  They were certainly super-spreader events that lead to an increase in cases though.  Just like all the celebrations across the Country that occurred over the weekend.  Those will lead to increased cases.

OK, fair enough.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. I don’t think a stimulus like the previous one or a lockdown like earlier would be the answer.  Targeted to high risk activities and focus $$$ on businesses and industries that would be affected.   Have it be for a definite time period (3-4 weeks?) and have it decisive.      We can’t afford to stay at 100k-150k new cases and 1000+ daily deaths from this.    

I just dont want another mass exodus to super markets. People panicking like the country is running out of food. It was ridiculous snd i hope to never have to deal with that again. The only people to benefit from that was distributors and market chains. 

And I hope the workers for them places all got a nice pay raise. But probably not

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Do you think I'm on the street shaming people for not wearing masks?

Why is pointing out a questionable source and showing scientific sources about mask use a problem for you? 

Some people are essentially saying, "because you miscreants didn't wear your masks, now we need to shut down again and destroy your social and economic well-being a second time... thanks a lot..."

This message is being absorbed mostly by those who have tried to follow the rules since March and are concerned about being compliant. The minority who ignore mask guidelines altogether are not receiving this message, they are not playing attention to local authorities and Dr. Fauci on this matter.

I find the continued focus on shaming people who are trying their best to follow the rules to be counterproductive. I don't have the answer here, just pointing out that banging that same drum again and again is causing diminishing returns and a general sense that the rules are probably pointless. People who wear masks will ask themselves if the mask mandates even work because now we are shutting down again, so what was the point?

As for myself, I believe in masks being somewhat helpful and wear one in complete compliance with local rules and regs.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Some people are essentially saying, "because you miscreants didn't wear your masks, now we need to shut down again and destroy your social and economic well-being a second time... thanks a lot..."

This message is being absorbed mostly by those who have tried to follow the rules since March and are concerned about being compliant. The minority who ignore mask guidelines altogether are not receiving this message, they are not playing attention to local authorities and Dr. Fauci on this matter.

I find the continued focus on shaming people who are trying their best to follow the rules to be counterproductive. I don't have the answer here, just pointing out that banging that same drum again and again is causing diminishing returns and a general sense that the rules are probably pointless. People who wear masks will ask themselves if the mask mandates even work because now we are shutting down again, so what was the point?

As for myself, I believe in masks being somewhat helpful and wear one in complete compliance with local rules and regs.

Thank god they are not in my daily circle of life. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

The only thing I will add is that it is clear that the school situation is taking a major toll on kids.  I see it in my three, who are in elementary and I see it in my niece and nephew in HS.  There is also an argument that less involvement in sports and extracurricular activities lead to kids spending more time congregating socially with friends where there is no control over reducing the spread (i.e. if you are at football practice, your coach is going to make sure you wear a mask when you should).  I won't get involved in taking a position one way or another for most of the other issues as that seems to often turn political, except when it comes to schools.  I think the data is pretty conclusive that bars, social events and private gatherings are MUCH more likely to cause outbreaks than schools.  I'm really concerned about the damage being done to kids. 

I concur.  I finally got to meet some of my students this week. And many of them seem to be in some type of shock. I do think it will gradually come back to “normal” for them.  I’m trying to do things as close to normal in my classroom but it is so different.  I really hope we get to keep it going but I fear the community will cause the plug to be pulled. As it is we had a number of families who had initially signed off on hybrid switch their kids back to remote.  I think it will become a tsunami 

42 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What's your point?  There were parties in every single community across the country last week. Some public and many more were likely private.

You know what he’s trying to do. It’s the same trash with him over and over again. Whatever happenned to him saying the MSM covid coverage would dissappear after election day? I guess that conspiracy theory was debunked...so we move onto the next one. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Can we have the intellectual courage to say these parties caused a rise in cases after we spent the entire summer saying that Trump rallies and Sturgis were killing people? Can we be just the tiniest bit consistent on this?

That's absolutely fair. The spontaneous gatherings last Saturday will undoubtedly contribute to the rising case load, as did holiday gatherings over the summer, protests over Floyd, and Trump rallies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You know what he’s trying to do. It’s the same trash with him over and over again. Whatever happenned to him saying the MSM covid coverage would dissappear after election day? I guess that conspiracy theory was debunked...so we move onto the next one. 

I believe what I said is we need to check back after Inauguration Day.

But feel free to believe there was a magic anti-COVID shield around the protests and parties that didn't exist at Sturgis and rallies. 

5 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That's absolutely fair. The spontaneous gatherings last Saturday will undoubtedly contribute to the rising case load, as did holiday gatherings over the summer, protests over Floyd, and Trump rallies.

It all does. And MSM was cringing when the crowds were celebrating too close together, even with masks on. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If this gets bad enough, you'll get a self-imposed shutdown of sorts. We saw that happen last March before the official shutdowns began. People were instinctively avoiding public gatherings, theaters, restaurants etc. We are more used to the thread of COVID at this point, so the threshold for drastically changing behavior may be higher, but if we start losing 2 or 3K people per day, it will start to sink in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I concur.  I finally got to meet some of my students this week. And many of them seem to be in some type of shock. I do think it will gradually come back to “normal” for them.  I’m trying to do things as close to normal in my classroom but it is so different.  I really hope we get to keep it going but I fear the community will cause the plug to be pulled. As it is we had a number of families who had initially signed off on hybrid switch their kids back to remote.  I think it will become a tsunami 

Why aren’t you in school? No reason to still be remote 

Just now, PhineasC said:

I believe what I said is we need to check back after Inauguration Day.

But feel free to believe there was a magic anti-COVID shield around the protests and parties that didn't exist at Sturgis and rallies. 

False. You said election day but now I see you’re moving it to Inauguration Day...got it. We’ll check back then, again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

If this gets bad enough, you'll get a self-imposed shutdown of sorts. We saw that happen last March before the official shutdowns began. People were instinctively avoiding public gatherings, theaters, restaurants etc. We are more used to the thread of COVID at this point, so the threshold for drastically changing behavior may be higher, but if we start losing 2 or 3K people per day, it will start to sink in.

I'm already there.  

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why aren’t you in school? No reason to still be remote 

Our District did a phased in opening which started a few weeks back.  My daughter is still at home since she's a senior and the last cohort to go back.  She starts December 7th.  All teachers have been teaching from the classroom since day 1 though.  The workload is back to as if they were in class so she's definitely busy, and learning, which is a plus.  I feel for families with younger kids who have to work.  No idea how that gets accomplished if you have to go to work and schools are remote.  It's a mess. 

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Our District did a phased in opening which started a few weeks back.  My daughter is still at home since she's a senior and the last cohort to go back.  She starts December 7th.  All teachers have been teaching from the classroom since day 1 though.  The workload is back to as if they were in class so she's definitely busy, and learning, which is a plus.  I feel for families with younger kids who have to work.  No idea how that gets accomplished if you have to go to work and schools are remote.  It's a mess. 

Ours went back 4 days a week beginning of this month . Home on Wednesday for. sanitizing. The town went red alert last week. The more kids that get it, the better . Get it out of the way . If they stay full remote this ridiculousness will never end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ours went back 4 days a week beginning of this month . Home on Wednesday for. sanitizing. The town went red alert last week. The more kids that get it, the better . Get it out of the way . If they stay full remote this ridiculousness will never end.

You do know infected kids can transmit to their parents or other vulnerable populations, right? More infected kids probably means more sick and dying teachers.

21 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Good, that’s better than clumsy govt mandates anyway. If people are worried about COVID, they first and foremost can choose to stay home and isolated. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

we took a full page ad out in the town paper. 100 families asking for our kids to go back full time.  The teachers we know fully support us. 

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

You do know infected kids can transmit to their parents or other vulnerable populations, right? More infected kids probably means more sick and dying teachers.

Kind of interesting how that argument was never, ever raised about flu or other communicable diseases. I understand COVID is not the flu, but it isn’t MERS either. I’m sure students have given the flu to teachers who then became deathly ill or died. Probably happens every year. I think the logic of keeping schools closed is going to take some time to shake.

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So both are in school 4 days?  We'll be doing just 2.  M-T in school, off W, and remote T-F.

17 minutes ago, Hoth said:

There’s almost no one that thinks kids should be home . Get out and if you’re  gonna get this flu bug.. get it and then move on with normal life