Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The country is so ****ed. Conspiracy on social media is rampant. 

We have become a culture of mistrust and essentially everything gets discredited by one group or another.  If I were an investigative journalist I’d be looking for a new career because half the people won’t believe your story anyway.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

People that are getting infected the most are NOT wearings masks.  They're contracting the virus as social gatherings, schools, restaurants, bars, etc.  Wearing a mask reduces exposure and possibility of becoming infected.

Is there data backing this up (the people getting infected are not wearing masks)? I see a high-level of mask compliance everywhere I go, and I have been on the road a lot since May.

Continuing to browbeat the people who have been trying to follow the rules since March is simply going to turn more people against following those rules.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We have become a culture of mistrust and essentially everything gets discredited by one group or another.  If I were an investigative journalist I’d be looking for a new career because half the people won’t believe your story anyway.

I can't think of many journalists left that really just investigate and report the facts. The reporting is always spun one way or another in an attempt to make some larger political or moral point. Basically, everything is one big opinion section.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Is there data backing this up (the people getting infected are not wearing masks)? I see a high-level of mask compliance everywhere I go, and I have been on the road a lot since May.

Continuing to browbeat the people who have been trying to follow the rules since March is simply going to turn more people against following those rules.

Mask compliance is 70 percent per imhe but im not sure what that means. Like if you always wear them at the grocery store but then take them off while you're drinking at the bar or when you have guests at your home then what is that doing for you? 

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/10/22/trumps-campaign-made-stops-nationwide-then-coronavirus-cases-surged/3679534001/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/17/maine-wedding-superspreader-event

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54487154

Here's just a few.  All events where majority of people were NOT wearing masks.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I can't think of many journalists left that really just investigate and report the facts. The reporting is always spun one way or another in an attempt to make some larger political or moral point. Basically, everything is one big opinion section.

There are plenty of good news sources left... the problem is we as a society have gotten to the point where we don't read what we don't want to hear.  Plan and simple.  "Fake News" isn't truly "fake" as in made up... it means "news we don't agree with." 

The nation is as divided as it ever has been and people go to the comfort of their sources that tell them what they want to hear.  Its complete echo chamber and you throw out any news you don't like as "fake" or that's what a powerful person has taught us.

I actually enjoyed just reading through what ModFan posted because it's news that's different than my view point.

• Like 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Mask compliance is 70 percent per imhe but im not sure what that means. Like if you always wear them at the grocery store but then take them off while you're drinking at the bar or when you have guests at you're home then what is that doing for you? 

People are following the rules laid out by the govt. They are told to wear masks in some situations and not in others. I'm sure the scientists would say the best approach is to wear a mask all the time and stay in a secure, positive air pressure room 24/7. People are doing their best to comply while also attempting to work and live. I don't think the finger-wagging blame/shame approach from the summer is going to work this time around. People are tired of it.

These are singular events. I don't see how that can be extrapolated to the million of cases being detected. I'm sure there are many, many religious mask-wearers contracting COVID.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

There are plenty of good news sources left... the problem is we as a society have gotten to the point where we don't read what we don't want to hear.  Plan and simple.  "Fake News" isn't truly "fake" as in made up... it means "news we don't agree with." 

The nation is as divided as it ever has been and people go to the comfort of their sources that tell them what they want to hear.  Its complete echo chamber and you throw out any news you don't like as "fake" or that's what a powerful person has taught us.

I actually enjoyed just reading through what ModFan posted because it's news that's different than my view point.

I can't think of too many news sources left without an obvious slant. Certainly nothing on TV or the major newspapers. I'm guessing we have very different versions of what we consider a slant. People tend to set their own beliefs as the "moderate, factual, centrist" viewpoint and judge news outlets accordingly.

People are following the rules laid out by the govt. They are told to wear masks in some situations and not in others. I'm sure the scientists would say the best approach is to wear a mask all the time and stay in a secure, positive air pressure room 24/7. People are doing their best to comply while also attempting to work and live. I don't think the finger-wagging blame/shame approach from the summer is going to work this time around. People are tired of it.

Its tough to have a real conversation with you about this when you say exaggerated and say shit like this. 

There are definitely plenty of people that don't wear masks because they don't want to or don't believe in it. 

• Like 1

I can't think of too many news sources left without an obvious slant. Certainly nothing on TV or the major newspapers. I'm guessing we have very different versions of what we consider a slant. People tend to set their own beliefs as the "moderate, factual, centrist" viewpoint and judge news outlets accordingly.

https://www.reuters.com/ 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am guessing very few people in DC voted in person, but I haven't seen stats.

Why are you singling out DC?  It doesn't matter where you voted in person,  If you didn't wear a mask while waiting, or inside the facility, you placed yourself and other at risk.  People are becoming sloppy with masks and hygiene and we're reaping the actions from it.  A sharp rise in all metrics on the virus.  We knew this was going to happen as we had to test the waters to see what would occur as we opened back up.  The virus is still as transmissible and deadly as it was when it was first introduced to the Country.  My initial stance stands of what we need to do until we have a vaccine.

• Like 2

The only thing I will add is that it is clear that the school situation is taking a major toll on kids.  I see it in my three, who are in elementary and I see it in my niece and nephew in HS.  There is also an argument that less involvement in sports and extracurricular activities lead to kids spending more time congregating socially with friends where there is no control over reducing the spread (i.e. if you are at football practice, your coach is going to make sure you wear a mask when you should).  I won't get involved in taking a position one way or another for most of the other issues as that seems to often turn political, except when it comes to schools.  I think the data is pretty conclusive that bars, social events and private gatherings are MUCH more likely to cause outbreaks than schools.  I'm really concerned about the damage being done to kids. 

• Like 4

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Its tough to have a real conversation with you about this when you say exaggerated and say shit like this. 

There are definitely plenty of people that don't wear masks because they don't want to or don't believe in it. 

I am sure there are non-compliant people out there. I don't really see too many, even way up here in rural Coos County. 

The shame/blame game you guys are doing with the masks doesn't affect those who choose not to wear them, it instead falls on those actually trying to comply as best they can, and it turns them against these rules. This is like certain aspects of gun control. Adding rules and waiting periods for gun purchases just affects the legal gun owners, not the criminals who don't even follow the existing rules...

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Why are you singling out DC?  It doesn't matter where you voted in person,  If you didn't wear a mask while waiting, or inside the facility, you placed yourself and other at risk.  People are becoming sloppy with masks and hygiene and we're reaping the actions from it.  A sharp rise in all metrics on the virus.  We knew this was going to happen as we had to test the waters to see what would occur as we opened back up.  The virus is still as transmissible and deadly as it was when it was first introduced to the Country.  My initial stance stands of what we need to do until we have a vaccine.

There were huge street parties in DC last week. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Agreed on that. AP has been a little iffy lately.

Yeah I love Reuters. 

The one thing that doesn't help our news sources is the pushback they get when they do post something their "base" doesn't want to hear.  The news is almost like a stumping politician itself... don't want to stumble or say the wrong thing or else you'll lose your viewership. 

"CNN said what about Democrats not being respectful?!?!"  "Fox News doesn't say Trump won the election?!?!"  "I'm going on social media to let them know that is NOT ok, and then I'm going to find a news source that tells me what I want to hear."  I mean even the President does that. 

These news sources either need to grow a pair and take the heat, or we will just continue down this path of shaping stories solely based on viewership.

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Agree...people are done with these heavy restrictions and shutdowns.  So many of them quite frankly have been so irrational and have run rampant of 0 common sense.  People won't stand for this crap much longer ...many having their and their families lives either negativity altered forever or in many cases destroyed and at minimum put in a economic crisis that they won't be able to dig out of for many months and years . I predict serious civil unrest if things go back to near March/April restrictive levels. 

I think our Gov is biting at the bit for lockdowns.

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am sure there are non-compliant people out there. I don't really see too many, even way up here in rural Coos County. 

The shame/blame game you guys are doing with the masks doesn't affect those who choose not to wear them, it instead falls on those actually trying to comply as best they can, and it turns them against these rules. This is like certain aspects of gun control. Adding rules and waiting periods for gun purchases just affects the legal gun owners, not the criminals who don't even follow the existing rules...

Do you think I'm on the street shaming people for not wearing masks?

Why is pointing out a questionable source and showing scientific sources about mask use a problem for you? 

• Like 1

What's your point?  There were parties in every single community across the country last week. Some public and many more were likely private.

Can we have the intellectual courage to say these parties caused a rise in cases after we spent the entire summer saying that Trump rallies and Sturgis were killing people? Can we be just the tiniest bit consistent on this?

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1