Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Bummer, I was gonna try and hit Magic this winter. Probably not happening now. 

Day trip to NH on the menu.

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Ugh. New Hampshire cases taking off. Will be on Massachusetts no travel list here shortly I think.

I’m fully planned to pull the plug on my weekend trip the week before Christmas to NH... obviously they have a better shot at staying open to visitors, but I would not be surprised at all if 5-6 weeks from now we are back to no state to state travel 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sounds a little different than what @powderfreak mentioned during the summer. 

They’ve been auditing businesses but looks like they’ll be stepping it up.  They go to hotels and verify that they have the files on hand of people who signed them...make sure restaurants don’t have more than 50% occupancy, etc.  Counties are all red.

New York has been much more effective at regulating businesses and handing out fines or shutting down non-compliance.  I think VT will start replicating that more as cases spike.

They can enforce any individual if they sign the form, no one knows what you did before you got here so nothing changes for the individual... but businesses have been put on notice.

I personally still think a winter spike will cause it all to continue to tighten...maybe a curfew like Mass is coming among other measures.

I still think we’ll be hitting capacity but it’s the rule followers who “lose”... as I’ve said several times.  The “good guys finish last” while the guy who doesn’t care is enjoying vacation.

21 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

We from CT are running out of states to travel to.  NY, NJ, RI and HI are the only ones left.  We can go to VT but it sounds like they don't want us.

I realize it is nearly impossible to enforce, but symbolic of the rapid increases beginning to happen in the area.

Western Massachusetts is pretty safe but unfortunately we get dragged down by Eastern MA.
 :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They need to have the courage to just say that, instead of making veiled threats and basically daring people to run the quarantine blockade. It's a cowardly thing they are doing, actually.

yeah.  As long as the quarantine in your home state provision remains it seems like a charade.  If that goes away, it'll be a sign of them actually getting serious.  And my guess is, with it will go the ski season.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh no!   Loved him. I got to hang out with him for a weekend on Martha’s Vineyard. He was really tight with my wife’s best friend’s father.  

Funny MF,  he told me NBA stories I would never repeat on a public forum.  That guy could toss back the beers too! 

Friend of mine new him and had a lot of stories too. He was great competitive guy from what I heard and yes he could tip a few beers.

Damn. The city next to where I work (KFIT) just pushed back their hybrid learning to January.  We JUST got kids back in our building this week in hybrid and I fear we will be going back to remote soon.  This suuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkks so much.  Hybrid isn't great (and some think it is worse for Covid) but the kids have been mostly very happy to be back at least 2 days per week.  KORH isn't hybrid until at least January as wel

33 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They need to have the courage to just say that, instead of making veiled threats and basically daring people to run the quarantine blockade. It's a cowardly thing they are doing, actually.

Cowards!  For whatever reason the VT quarantines get all the love.  Doesn’t make it better but there are a lot of states in the northeast with quarantines against other areas.  Maybe a blend of all of them works better.

I mean this is New York... maybe VT should just go this route, show your negative test when you arrive?  

• For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
    • Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
    • The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests comes back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.

• For travelers who were out-of-state for less than 24 hours:

• The traveler does not need a test prior to their departure from the other state, and does not need to quarantine upon arrival in New York State.
    • However, the traveler must fill out our traveler form upon entry into New York State, and take a COVID diagnostic test 4 days after their arrival in New York.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Cowards!  For whatever reason the VT quarantines get all the love.  Doesn’t make it better but there are a lot of states in the northeast with quarantines against other areas.  Maybe a blend of all of them works better.

I mean this is New York... maybe VT should just go this route, show your negative test when you arrive?  

• For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
    • Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
    • The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests comes back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.

• For travelers who were out-of-state for less than 24 hours:

• The traveler does not need a test prior to their departure from the other state, and does not need to quarantine upon arrival in New York State.
    • However, the traveler must fill out our traveler form upon entry into New York State, and take a COVID diagnostic test 4 days after their arrival in New York.

That's exactly what I am saying. They have a very strict quarantine on paper but then are very vague about enforcement. In fairness, you have made posts here indicating that enforcement is very lax and you expect big crowds. That may be the case, but on paper Vermont is saying very clearly that is against the law and there will be penalties... of some sort. Expecting big crowds despite the guidance means the regs are basically bait or a dare to people. They should just say, "If you are from the red counties, do not come here unless you have a very good reason to do so, and be prepared to prove to law enforcement that you have a valid reason to be here and have either tested negative or have proof of quarantine."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Damn. The city next to where I work (KFIT) just pushed back their hybrid learning to January.  We JUST got kids back in our building this week in hybrid and I fear we will be going back to remote soon.  This suuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkks so much.  Hybrid isn't great (and some think it is worse for Covid) but the kids have been mostly very happy to be back at least 2 days per week.  KORH isn't hybrid until at least January as wel

At first I was pissed that Greenfield was doing all remote,  because there’s hardly any Covid cases in Franklin County. Now however it makes the fear factor a lot less.

I do feel for you and all of the teachers. I know a lot of people in education and all of them are miserable with all of this.  We are lucky my kid’s  teacher has been solid. 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's exactly what I am saying. They have a very strict quarantine on paper but then are very vague about enforcement. In fairness, you have made posts here indicating that enforcement is very lax and you expect big crowds. That may be the case, but on paper Vermont is saying very clearly that is against the law and there will be penalties... of some sort. Expecting big crowds despite the guidance means the regs are basically bait or a dare to people. They should just say, "If you are from the red counties, do not come here unless you have a very good reason to do so, and be prepared to prove to law enforcement that you have a valid reason to be here and have either tested negative or have proof of quarantine."

Those rules were for New York, I just don’t know if they are followed or now.  But I Gotcha, yeah I’ve always agreed that a “rule” without quarantine isn’t anything.  Like telling people the state law is 65mph on the interstate but there won’t be any state troopers to enforce it, so the other drivers can sort it out themselves.

At least NY has a $10,000 fine for failure to comply or failure to even sign their form.  I guess a lot of places have some sort of travel restrictions it seems...but I just don’t have any idea if people follow it there because I’m here.  Are people taking a COVID test on entrance to NY?

This VT newspaper cartoon says it well... like the honor box at an unoccupied roadside farm stand, just put your money in the box but no one is checking if you steal.

234F6C06-05F0-4EB1-91D7-3FDCDC882AA6.jpeg.1780d43d00076373b77b1a6b95a59a7a.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

At first I was pissed that Greenfield was doing all remote,  because there’s hardly any Covid cases in Franklin County. Now however it makes the fear factor a lot less.

I do feel for you and all of the teachers. I know a lot of people in education and all of them are miserable with all of this.  We are lucky my kid’s  teacher has been solid. 

For some kids and families remote can work well.  But I have a bunch of kids who live in chaos.   School is sane and safe in the building. They are not learning at home     Others can do extremely well. It suits their learning styles etc.   My wife just went back to in person after a week and a half of remote.  Not sure if it lasts.  Our super just sent out a district email that sounded ominous.     

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Gotcha, yeah I’ve always agreed that a “rule” without quarantine isn’t anything.  Like telling people the state law is 65mph on the interstate but there won’t be any state troopers to enforce it, so the other drivers can sort it out themselves.

At least NY has a $10,000 fine for failure to comply or failure to even sign their form.  I guess a lot of places have some sort of travel restrictions it seems...but I just don’t have any idea if people follow it there because I’m here.  Are people taking a COVID test on entrance to NY?

This cartoon says it well... like the honor box at an unoccupied roadside farm stand, just put your money in the box but no one is checking if you steal.

234F6C06-05F0-4EB1-91D7-3FDCDC882AA6.jpeg.1780d43d00076373b77b1a6b95a59a7a.jpeg

It's almost as if the Vermont government only kinda wants to have a quarantine. They want to be able to say they are being strict to protect residents, but at the same time winking a little so that people know they can still come ski, for example. I just find it a little unclear. People can call NY's policies draconian, but at least they are clear you have a real risk of penalties for violations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's almost as if the Vermont government only kinda wants to have a quarantine. They want to be able to say they are being strict to protect residents, but at the same time winking a little so that people know they can still come ski, for example. I just find it a little unclear. People can call NY's policies draconian, but at least they are clear you have a real risk of penalties for violations.

Oh it’s the definition of unclear.  Humans do not like rules without penalties, that’s well proven.  Honor code is like the most basic psych study out there.  If no one is watching, what will you do?

It’s like they haven’t figured out how to set a capacity... like they don’t want 100% of tourism but they don’t want 0% either.  They want like 50-75%.  And they can’t figure out how to get there.  So they assume some rule followers won’t come (say 25% of potential visitors will opt out), while others will say they don’t care...and arrive at that 75% business level like they did this summer and fall.

I truly think for the state it’s all about controlling a spigot that they haven’t figured out how to get the nozzle screwed on right.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, radarman said:

Charlie Baker can impose a curfew but once he starts talking schools, yeah no.

Yeah the school thing is weird after saying we can’t go outside and jog without a mask on. Now you want to send kids all into school where they cannot socially distance? 

Well, either it’s so serious that people can’t go into a park without their mask on, or it’s not so bad that we can stuff 30 kids into a classroom 2-3 feet apart from each other. Which one is it? 

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just go. 

We’ll see how much enforcement happens once ski season starts. If it’s virtually zero then I stay may go to Magic. It’s not hard at all for me to go by myself and not have to ever go inside. Eat lunch in the car or whatever. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the school thing is weird after saying we can’t go outside and jog without a mask on. Now you want to send kids all into school where they cannot socially distance? 

Well, either it’s so serious that people can’t go into a park without their mask on, or it’s not so bad that we can stuff 30 kids into a classroom 2-3 feet apart from each other. Which one is it? 

We’ll see how much enforcement happens once ski season starts. If it’s virtually zero then I stay may go to Magic. It’s not hard at all for me to go by myself and not have to ever go inside. Eat lunch in the car or whatever. 

How are they going to enforce the blood line to the economy? Maybe a few cops enforce it to look like they are trying, but I can’t see this being a strict thing. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m sure it will be fine, but the uncertainty and “wink wink” messaging is hard on rule followers and worriers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh no!   Loved him. I got to hang out with him for a weekend on Martha’s Vineyard. He was really tight with my wife’s best friend’s father.  

Funny MF,  he told me NBA stories I would never repeat on a public forum.  That guy could toss back the beers too! 

My buddy interned with the Celtics a few years ago... said Tommy was a remarkably normal fun guy. Never lost that with all the fame and accolades.

Im not sure people truly realize what an incredible loss this is. There will never be anyone else like him in sports more than likely.

Been a part of ever Celtics championship, literally.

Truly sad day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’m basically just waiting to see if they do license plate hunting or not.  

As long as you can "quarantine at home before traveling" it's all a moot point.  No one knows what you did at home before hand.  Lots of folks working from home these days, too.

I think Phin and I are on the same page as it penalizes those following the rules as they then see their neighbors going on vacation and having a great time.  Like the kid in high school who wants to have fun but follows his parent's guidelines, while all the other kids are having the night of their life at the big bonfire party in the woods behind the High School.

Unless the Gov't goes back to "Stay at Home" type stuff, after a few weekends of ski season I think most will feel comfortable... but still sucks the state wants to put people in the position of lying.  That's a very Vermont thing to do... make a rule based on honor or morals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

As long as you can "quarantine at home before traveling" it's all a moot point.  No one knows what you did at home before hand.  Lots of folks working from home these days, too.

I think Phin and I are on the same page as it penalizes those following the rules as they then see their neighbors going on vacation and having a great time.  Like the kid in high school who wants to have fun but follows his parent's guidelines, while all the other kids are having the night of their life at the big bonfire party in the woods behind the High School.

Unless the Gov't goes back to "Stay at Home" type stuff, after a few weekends of ski season I think most will feel comfortable... but still sucks the state wants to put people in the position of lying.  That's a very Vermont thing to do... make a rule based on honor or morals.

I'm willing to bet in a couple Fridays the endless stream of black SUVs with NY/NJ/CT plates will be racing up I-91. I can't imagine that the ski areas are expecting compliance with this otherwise why even open for the year? Have to imagine most of the revenue from the bigger resorts is from out of state guests who would not be able to quarantine in most situations.