Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Those coyotes strike too. One got my neighbors Chihuahua right in front of him. Was an awful thing to witness. 

Years ago the guy up the street from me lost his dog to a coyote pack.  He then proceeded to hang meat on poles by the river and shot four of them illegally.  He told me all about it.  He works for the sheriffs department so didn’t seem too concerned about legal consequences.

edit: Actually, I shouldn’t say it was illegal because it was out of Season but they were on his property.

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Years ago the guy up the street from me lost his dog to a coyote pack.  He then proceeded to hang meat on poles by the river and shot four of them illegally.  He told me all about it.  He works for the sheriffs department so didn’t seem too concerned about legal consequences.

edit: Actually, I shouldn’t say it was illegal because it was out of Season but they were on his property.

I have friends that hunt them up here, They are very problematic and are detrimental to culling the deer herd up here and can eradicate areas of deer, When i get the opportunity, I will take them out.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

When I lived in VT 13 years ago you could pretty much trap/shoot them year round even at night. A farmer up the road from me would shoot them all the time as they would prey on his livestock. 

Coyotes are not native to New England and I think most states have like zero restrictions on killing them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That happened in the woods behind my house last fall...2am and they were going nuts. It sounded more like a feeding frenzy or something rather than long howls. It was really creepy though.

I was walking one night last year and I heard the howls.   Decided to pack it in and go home...

Hippy. One more for you.  This guy went from Far left fringe that most centrists dems didn't pay any mind to or hear of   (for a decade or so) to now being one of the several fighting to have his hands on the global policy steering wheel. Look at his book...its a good one.  Most will just eye roll...The Great Rest (his book) and Build back better have very close parallels.  Here's a Idea of Klaus's Thanksgiving and wether you should be sent to the Gulag. Nice fellow . 

klaus.jpg

• Like 1

I hear coyotes at night from time to time.  Awesome in deep winter.   I do need to set up a game cam in my backyard.

We have had the following in my yard: coyotes, deer, fishers, bobcats, foxes, bear     My next door neighbor had a bull moose in their yard 2 years ago.  Missed it by 10 minutes

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Hippy. One more for you.  This guy went from Far left fringe that most centrists dems didn't pay any mind to or hear of   (for a decade or so) to now being one of the several fighting to have his hands on the global policy steering wheel. Look at his book...its a good one.  Most will just eye roll...The Great Rest (his book) and Build back better have very close parallels.  Here's a Idea of Klaus's Thanksgiving and wether you should be sent to the Gulag. Nice fellow . 

klaus.jpg

Should we go together to get our micro chips implanted?

May as well just go full “Logan‘s Run”.  

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Basically, don’t come. 

Looks like they intend to enforce it as well.

COVID COMPLIANCE CHECKS

Public Safety Commissioner Mike Schirling says statewide compliance checks will begin around November 12th with plainclothes officers visiting a variety of businesses like lodging facilities and restaurants. If substantial non-compliance is found and those businesses don’t fix the problems, those cases may be referred to the attorney general’s office. He says law enforcement will also begin handing out COVID safety information during traffic stops.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/11/10/gov-scott-to-hold-pandemic-press-conference/

6 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Looks like they intend to enforce it as well.

COVID COMPLIANCE CHECKS

Public Safety Commissioner Mike Schirling says statewide compliance checks will begin around November 12th with plainclothes officers visiting a variety of businesses like lodging facilities and restaurants. If substantial non-compliance is found and those businesses don’t fix the problems, those cases may be referred to the attorney general’s office. He says law enforcement will also begin handing out COVID safety information during traffic stops.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/11/10/gov-scott-to-hold-pandemic-press-conference/

Sounds a little different than what @powderfreak mentioned during the summer. 

48 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

RIP Tommy Heinsohn.... A Boston and Celtics institution 

Oh no!   Loved him. I got to hang out with him for a weekend on Martha’s Vineyard. He was really tight with my wife’s best friend’s father.  

Funny MF,  he told me NBA stories I would never repeat on a public forum.  That guy could toss back the beers too! 

6 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

I think in more rural areas they are not much of an issue given more food sources. They have made their way back into more populated areas and family pets make easy meals. There are a couple documentaries on European cities that have specifically introduced them and foxes to deal with rats. Coyotes are really thriving in Chicago due to the rats.

There is one notorious coyote in our town that I have spotted once. I thought it was a German Shepherd at first but it was definitely not. Absolutely massive. I have come across a few folks with the same story that insist it is a grey wolf that was found and relocated to the Prescott Peninsula but managed to find its way off. Got to love town myths. 

Coy dogs are massive wolf size. I saw them several times down at work.

20201110_155455.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh no!   Loved him. I got to hang out with him for a weekend on Martha’s Vineyard. He was really tight with my wife’s best friend’s father.  

Funny MF,  he told me NBA stories I would never repeat on a public forum.  That guy could toss back the beers too! 

Yea heard he was a great fun guy all the time.much respect to anyone famous who is grounded and never forgets their roots.

• Like 1