Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I’m a little more optimistic. At the very least, if we can get older and more vulnerable populations to vaccinate, we’ll see the CFR decrease dramatically. Maybe young, healthy people won’t vaccinate and will still get it. But they’ll recover and not be able to spread it to vaccinated older, vulnerable populations. 

exacty....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/what-has-pfizers-covid-vaccine-trial-found-and-is-this-a-breakthrough

How excited should we be?

Most experts agree that the results are exciting and excellent news, but the optimism should come with a note of caution: the results are preliminary, have been shared only by press release, and the trials are not yet complete.

So far, 38,955 people have received two doses of the vaccine, and the team plan a further analysis of the results once a total of 164 confirmed Covid-19 cases have occurred among the participants. They will also follow participants for two years post-vaccination to explore long-term safety and whether it continues to provide protection.

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

DNA vaccines and in this case mRNA vaccines would likely be taken up by myocytes (muscle cells of the arm). While not the optimal antigen  presenting cells (APC), they have the proper co-stimulatory molecules on their surface to present the vaccine antigens to T cells. More potent APCs would be interstitial dendritic cells and these would also be present, albeit to lower levels then muscle cells. Unless there is a secretion signal sequence encoded as part of the expressed spike protein for extracellular transport, the majority of the vaccine would be expressed intracellularly and loaded into Class I MHC for cellular CD8 T cell responses, but some vaccine antigen can and will be dumped extracellularly which would elicit the antibody response. There may be some microtissue trauma from needle injection which causes some minor inflammation, aiding in recruitment of immune cells. 

mRNA degrades pretty quickly even during "normal" bodily gene expression, but I think I recall hearing this vax is delivered in a liposome which provides enhanced protection against degradation.

I figured it would be presented by MHC rather than dumped, mostly. Dendritic cells would be a good candidate. Never thought of the myocyte as a good APC. Not sure about that one. But is is one of the first cell types the mRNA would encounter. It is a liposome prep so degradation would be slowed, you're right about that. 

Lots of unknowns. mRNA vaccine research has been around a long time. I thought there would be more MOA known by now.

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL at all the sudden anti-vaxxers. Gonna need to get Fauci up there to tell the masked-up scared sheep this is a good vaccine and they can receive it. 

That's a pretty black and white, broad stoke.  

One can believe in the steps and actions that reduce the risk of transmitting the virus AND also have a healthy skeptism of whatever vaccine is first to market. 

Also can you please elaborate on what "masked-up scared sheep" means?

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I tried to watch that for a bit over the last several days, and it was like watching Martian TV.  They're living in a completely different realm that all the other major networks.

How does the media still have credibility with you at this point? It isn’t even a partisan issue. They are so terrible now. That includes Facebook and Twitter too. They are actively censoring what you are allowed to see. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Cuomo indicating he will “block” the vaccine from wide distribution. This kind of talk is causing skepticism for the vaccine in the minority communities hit the hardest by COVID. So stupid. More people will die. 

yeah that really is partisan and dumb

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

How does the media still have credibility with you at this point? It isn’t even a partisan issue. They are so terrible now. That includes Facebook and Twitter too. They are actively censoring what you are allowed to see. 

One would think truth and fiction wouldn't be a partisan issue either.  After Donald Trump, we certainly do live in a world where lies don't matter.  Blatantly false information repeated over and over.  Leaders of other nation's are starting to see it too... if you peddle lies long enough, they start to become truth.

Trump is an amazing business man and he remained on-brand and remains on-brand... he knows marketing that's for sure.  And his brand went to war with the media resulting in what we have now.

• Weenie 1

“A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth sees daybreak”.  Not sure of the exact words of the last sentence but you get the idea. Lying is more effective.  If you have someone with the ability to lie and not at all be bothered internally they can make many believe them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

After Donald Trump, we certainly do live in a world where lies don't matter.  Blatantly false information repeated over and over.  Leaders of other nation's are starting to see it too... if you peddle lies long enough, they start to become truth.  It must be exhausting to try and cover every lie from the President, some tried but many failed.

There was plenty of lying and gaslighting from both the media and the President. Both can be true. 

Biden will lie - but he will do so in a presidential manner and in an ideologically aligned manner that's acceptable to many activists disguised as journalists in the MSM. I just avoid all network/cable news stations for the most part. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No fans at Gillette at all this year.... pats don’t seem to happy.

Seems like we aren’t following the science anymore in mass. Schools=good... outdoor stadium at 20% capacity= bad.

Masks anywhere outdoors now? Just making shit up now 

At least the Pats are garbage this season. Takes the sting away a bit. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No fans at Gillette at all this year.... pats don’t seem to happy.

Seems like we aren’t following the science anymore in mass. Schools=good... outdoor stadium at 20% capacity= bad.

Masks anywhere outdoors now? Just making shit up now 

If you are in before 9:30PM you are safe.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:26 AM, amarshall said:

IPAs have absolutely destroyed my stomach to the point where I'm almost gluten intolerant/sugar intolerant. 

I can't have an a tasty tasty IPA without getting severely bloated. I used to drink IPAs religiously.  I can have a 9% Imperial stout with no effect.  One IPA and I'm toast. 

Yup I had 2 IPAs and my stomach was junk, almost puked.  Sinusitis FTW too from inflammation. I can have 10 vodka shots and feel 100 times better 

• Confused 1