Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I did as well for 2 years.  First hand knowledge of their abysmal environmental disregard as well. Also that vaccine has to be kept at -70. There are few facilities able to large scale store- 70 degrees.  Very very good news but slow the roll seems smart

True. My dad worked at the Brooklyn plant for a decade before it closed and he got sick. Yes, we want to get past this asap but let science and a rigorous approval process dictate it...and not press release

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There's a difference between a healthy dose of skepticism vs accusing them of rushing a drug to market without checks/balances.  Past history does not predict future outcomes or events.

But I never acused them of rushing it, did I? All I said is they are a shady corp based on past history so I’ll remain skeptical until the approval process takes shape. If it goes through and it’s all good, I’m in.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The “we need to trust the experts and scientists” and “we need to do more to stop COVID” crowd now saying they will not take the COVID vaccine right away is hilarious and sad. 

Why would it be hilarious? I want a vaccine, but I want to make sure it's safe. I think many feel that way.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

True. My dad worked at the Brooklyn plant for a decade before it closed and he got sick. Yes, we want to get past this asap but let science and a rigorous approval process dictate it...and not press release

But I never acused them of rushing it, did I? All I said is they are a shady corp based on past history so I’ll remain skeptical until the approval process takes shape. If it goes through and it’s all good, I’m in.

Other companies are also using similar/same technology as the PFZ vax, so they must be shady too? I do think the timing is just a wee bit suspect, but maybe just a coincidence. Either way, the news is the best thing we've had all year.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I never said you did.  Others are accusing them though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Why would it be hilarious? I want a vaccine, but I want to make sure it's safe. I think many feel that way.

Yep, although a walking dead scenario where vaccine in a year produces Zombies would be interesting.  Lol just kidding.  Great news if it all holds up. My 2 concerns are, side effects short and long term, and length of immunity. 

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Other companies are also using similar/same technology as the PFZ vax, so they must be shady too? I do think the timing is just a wee bit suspect, but maybe just a coincidence. Either way, the news is the best thing we've had all year.

Hey Lava how would they distribute a vaccine that needs to be stored at -70

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

No. You’re not listening. I have issues with pfizer at a personal level. Stop making assumptions that I am calling out every company making a vax. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, I mean let it go through the normal process of having it get approved.

The approval process is not exactly normal given the pandemic. This will probably go through EUA like the anthrax vaccine. But that's because we don't have like a year to wait for the longest term efficacy and safety data. We will have the efficacy/safety we have now to base the EUA on. Full approval will likely wait until well into next year. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Hey Lava how would they distribute a vaccine that needs to be stored at -70

Did you see the 60 Minutes segment in the link I posted earlier?  They go through the whole process.  There's already a stockpile of vaccines at the ready for whenever the approval is given for use.

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Did you see the 60 Minutes segment in the link I posted earlier?  They go through the whole process.  There's already a stockpile of vaccines at the ready for whenever the approval is given for use.

yeah pfz manufactured and the govt prepaid for a bunch of doses months ago regardless if the trial failed. quite the gamble, but thankfully it appears to be a success

They say they will have enough dosages in 13 months for 650 million globally.   So ...this may just change time line for Highest risk folks.  Only 50 million doses available for year end globally so we shall see.. Lots of deets to be ironed out. First being safety data. 

The NEW Messenger RNA technology does have me personally concerned about LT side effects given a completely different mechanism for action that has never been approved.  

This technology thou was always going to get the M RNA delivery system over the line first. 

A protein subunit delivery system vaccine  has arguably been the favorite by many experts when it comes to guessing which delivery system will have best shot so we shall see how much this data turns that on its head.

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Nobody  has mentioned the gigantic COVID vaccine news of Pfizer saying they have 90% efficiacy.  That is game changer. 

They are going for Emergency use ASAP

One fly in ointment is that the board reviewing data so favorably is Pfizers own Board , not the independent advisory board the Fda uses.  

Still thou, this is story of the day ...and sort of the election..

The market likes it.  Futures soared this morning. Except for Zoom, their stock sank 15% on the news.  

Just now, Lava Rock said:

yeah pfz manufactured and the govt prepaid for a bunch of doses months ago regardless if the trial failed. quite the gamble, but thankfully it appears to be a success

It was a great segment to watch.  The General made no reference to the specific amount of vaccine they have stockpiled so as to not open up any avenues of question on it.  They went over the logistics of the storage facilities and the type saying dry ice is the way it has to be stored.  They also went over the computer system that was developed solely for the purpose of monitoring and tracking the virus and vaccines.  It has all the facilities that would store the virus and all the locations where you could receive from hospitals to clinics to pharmacies.  The system didn't exist several months ago and has yet to be fully tested, which will occur only once the vaccines are distributed and given.

• Like 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

The US has in place the delivery system thanks to operation warp speed. Keep the politics in AMPOL as Will requested. 

I'm glad the infrastructure is in place but this vaccine is not part of operation warp speed. Thats a fact. 

Derek lowe is a scientist and blogs about vaccines and therapeutics often. That's why I posted it. 

• Like 1