• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Like Jerry, we procrastinated and missed the mail in deadline  so we dropped them off at the drop box in front of the municipal building.  Our town actually live streamed the tabulation of early votes.  I think there were three days prior to the election where they would tabulate the votes received by mail and in the drop box and you could watch the process.  Being able to count those votes as they came in seems to make sense.  I'm not sure why some states chose to not let the tabulation begin prior to election day. Who am I kidding , of course I know why, i just think it's stupid.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

There is nothing wrong with mail in ballots. The issue now is it’s not going Trumps way, so there is a problem. I’m sure if all the mail in ballots were coming up R, there wouldn’t be any kicking and screaming.

He knew mail in ballots would be an issue for him though, which is why for months he tried to delegitimize the process.

Ironically, by suggesting mail in ballots were problematic, he probably exacerbated the skew in the ratio even more. He told his base they were unreliable, so they overwhelmingly voted in person. You see that in the PA results. Big Republican lead on election day, but 78% of mail in ballots are going to Biden so far and the gap continues to close.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

what kind? Been interested in trying some, but have no idea what to get and how much

They were gummies from a dispensary, just had 1 each and that was enough to have a great time. 

I will tell you this: be prepared to go hog wild on snacks. The number of brownies we ate that night was shameful lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The thing about mail ballots-they’ve been around forever.   My first time voting for potus was 1968 by mail in absentee.  In those days you (per memory) had to tell why you can’t show up in person but no one checked.  Early voting is also a big boon to participation.   My wife and I voted by mail but dropped if off at town hall since we as usual procrastinated and cut the mail window too close.   Never miss voting even for only local elections.  The rules of how to fill out and where to put your ballot by mail in MA requires you to carefully pay attention!

There are enormously more of them now, and they are not the same thing as absentee ballots, which you need to request. Many people get this mixed up. 

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, SlantStickers Anonymous said:

They were gummies from a dispensary, just had 1 each and that was enough to have a great time. 

I will tell you this: be prepared to go hog wild on snacks. The number of brownies we ate that night was shameful lol. 

You haven't lived until you've eaten a 50 mg gummy to clean the kitchen and 2 hours later you're leaning against the refrigerator counting every single heartbeat and trying to map out a plan to get to the second floor bedroom. Then waking up the next day still high as a kite.. a friend told me this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, amarshall said:

You haven't lived until you've eaten a 50 mg gummy to clean the kitchen and 2 hours later you're leaning against the refrigerator counting every single heartbeat and trying to map out a plan to get to the second floor bedroom. Then waking up the next day still high as a kite.. a friend told me this. 

Sounds absolutely terrible. That’s enjoyable?

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Precisely why I stick to only beer. You know exactly what you’re getting and how much you can drink 

I monitor my cholesterol once or twice a year and as much as I love IPA's, I think they are partially responsible for my recent (and other times) high levels. I eat way too many carbs (my fault, but somewhat necessary for cycling season), but the beers don't help. I was reading on avg, craft beers have ~1.5g residual sugar per ounce with for one pint equates to 24g sugar. I'll throw down 2-3 pints on avg every night between Fri-Sun nights during the summer and early Fall. Aside from all the carbs, that's a crap ton of extra sugar. I switch to wine during the Winter which is better for carbs (lower), but still has residual sugar depending on sweetness. I told my wife we should cut back on alcohol. We'll routinely drink 0.5 - 0.75 of a bottle EACH on most Fri-Sun nights, so that's 1.5 bottles each over three nights. The boxed wines are evil as it's so easy to just doll out another glass not realizing how much you are drinking.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Precisely why I stick to only beer. You know exactly what you’re getting and how much you can drink 

Is that what all the alcoholics say as they blackout?

It’s the same with gummies. It is NO different. Taking 50mg at once is like shotgunning a 6 pack in consecutive order, without taking a break. ‘guns don’t kill people, people do.’...so don’t blame the substance, blame the person. 

#freedom ?

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I monitor my cholesterol once or twice a year and as much as I love IPA's, I think they are partially responsible for my recent (and other times) high levels. I eat way too many carbs (my fault, but somewhat necessary for cycling season), but the beers don't help. I was reading on avg, craft beers have ~1.5g residual sugar per ounce with for one pint equates to 24g sugar. I'll throw down 2-3 pints on avg every night between Fri-Sun nights during the summer and early Fall. Aside from all the carbs, that's a crap ton of extra sugar. I switch to wine during the Winter which is better for carbs (lower), but still has residual sugar depending on sweetness. I told my wife we should cut back on alcohol. We'll routinely drink 0.5 - 0.75 of a bottle EACH on most Fri-Sun nights, so that's 1.5 bottles each over three nights. The boxed wines are evil as it's so easy to just doll out another glass not realizing how much you are drinking.

I think you’re a big biker if I recall. I used to have high cholesterol years ago , but completely modified my diet and eat mainly healthy. Once I started running , the levels came down in combination with the diet . I avg 20-25 miles per week now. During my marathon days(I ran 7) , I was doing 45-55 miles per week. Point being.. if you modify what you eat and vigorously exercise , it’ll come down 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Is that what all the alcoholics say as they blackout?

It’s the same with gummies. It is NO different. Taking 50mg at once is like shotgunning a 6 pack in consecutive order, without taking a break. ‘guns don’t kill people, people do.’...so don’t blame the substance, blame the person. 

#freedom ?

Subscription to High Times for Xmas,?

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

There are enormously more of them now, and they are not the same thing as absentee ballots, which you need to request. Many people get this mixed up. 

They're one in the same in MA,  You have to request either one.  I went onto the State of MA website and requested my ballot be mailed to me.  The 3rd option was to vote in person prior to election day at Town/City Hall.  Same as voting on Election Day.  They check your name off when you request a ballot and when you submit your ballot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I think you’re a big biker if I recall. I used to have high cholesterol years ago , but completely modified my diet and eat mainly healthy. Once I started running , the levels came down in combination with the diet . I avg 20-25 miles per week now. During my marathon days(I ran 7) , I was doing 45-55 miles per week. Point being.. if you modify what you eat and vigorously exercise , it’ll come down 

That's the odd thing. I am on downside of the riding season, so have lost a little fitness, but my numbers right now should be the best they could be for this time of the year and yet they are the worst. Same thing happened last year at my physical. Tried a statin, but got sore legs within 6wks. Went to a much better (partial vegan) diet in Jan, wasn't drinking any IPAs mot of the winter and when I got my chol checked in May, it was the best it's been in over 10yrs. Even better than when I was taking the statin for a couple months. My PCP said diet wouldn't do much for my numbers, but I have proof it certainly can. My cardiologist didn't think I needed to be on a statin based on my results in addition to CRP levels (always <1) so I tend to put more faith in his recommendation than my PCP. I've requested a calcium score cause I really want to see where things are internally with respect to build-up.

Like I said I eat way too many carbs. My breakfast rotates between oatmeal or eggs and piece of toast with PB. When I look at strictly my oatmeal mornings with added honey, whole grain bread with PB and half banana and half cup OJ, my carb intake is ~125g! That's stupid. All getting broken down to simple sugars and massive blood glucose rise no doubt. No wonder my #'s are up including my triglycerides and even BP. And that's just breakfast. Lunch tends to be more protein based (chix), but two more pieces of bread, crackers and a granola Kind bar (more carbs/sugar). My wife tells me not to eat so much oatmeal, but I feel like 1cup is enough to keep my filled for most of morning, but one cup has 60g carbs. Dietary recommendations based on 2000 cal/day diet says to get ~200-300g carbs, which is probably where I land by dinner time, but that just seems like too much.

IPAs have absolutely destroyed my stomach to the point where I'm almost gluten intolerant/sugar intolerant. 

I can't have an a tasty tasty IPA without getting severely bloated. I used to drink IPAs religiously.  I can have a 9% Imperial stout with no effect.  One IPA and I'm toast. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They are the same.  But they are much more widely used.  It’s been a long time since you had to state you’d be out of town...

You're talking about universal mail in ballots where they send every registered voter a ballot automatically. There are only a handful of states, mainly out west where population is sparse, that have the ability to conduct their elections entirely by mail ballot. Absentee ballots, which you must request, are mailed in as well. They are both mail ballots in that they need to be mailed back. 80% of states have a mail (absentee) ballot system that works the same way as Florida's which Trump promoted as a safe and secure way to vote as he did. The insecurity of mail ballots is a fiction ginned up for this election. The states that have been doing universal mail ballots have done so with no problem for decades, and the rest of the states have done it the absentee way since the Civil War.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

You're talking about universal mail in ballots where they send every registered voter a ballot automatically. There are only a handful of states, mainly out west where population is sparse, that have the ability to conduct their elections entirely by mail ballot. Absentee ballots, which you must request, are mailed in as well. They are both mail ballots in that they need to be mailed back. 80% of states have a mail (absentee) ballot system that works the same way as Florida's which Trump promoted as a safe and secure way to vote as he did. The insecurity of mail ballots is a fiction ginned up for this election. The states that have been doing universal mail ballots have done so with no problem for decades, and the rest of the states have done it the absentee way since the Civil War.

In PA, this was the first election that mail-in ballots were opened to every single voter as an option. It is disingenuous to say that this has always been standard practice for a wide variety of voters. The number of people in these states who voted by mail has historically been a tiny fraction who were mostly military.

• Weenie 1