Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Still underpaid. Median salary for CT elementary teachers is around 64k. We ask them to take our precious children and show them the way. While parenting obviously shapes them...it’s our teachers who spend 7/8hrs educating them. Our education system as a whole is behind other countries. We can do better. If we legalized weed, that would go a long way to funding and improving the system (of course if the idiots in charge properly do so.)

64 k is still decent plus bennies and pension and summers off. I agree they provide an invaluable service but it is a good gig.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

64 k is still decent plus bennies and pension and summers off. I agree they provide an invaluable service but it is a good gig.

Summers off are nice if they choose to take off. Agree, pension and benefits are a plus. Not saying it’s a crap job but if we want to move into the 22nd century, we have to do better investing in our youth. Cut the bs of wasting gizzilions on wars and lets spend on our children. It’s not just about passing tests and making high grades either. Kids need to learn at a young age how to be great people first and foremost. Community service, activisim, taking care of the elderly...should be part of their growth at the public level, very early. Active in sports, music, art. I know it’s a choice as to who does what but we can do better by having a larger teacher to student ratio, higher pay, and giving them all the tools and resources available to set them up to be good people. The fact that our school district (which is highly rated) asks for donations with supplies, etc...I can only imagine what the poorer districts have to go through. Give each kid an equal chance, no matter their economic situation. LFG already.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That is quite the spike over the last week.

Does this translate to mean that there is A LOT more people that actually have covid right now and don't necessarily know it being that actual new daily positive numbers are less than in April/May?

I saw a graph a few days ago that showed a similar spike from wastewater in Metro Boston. Sure enough MA numbers are up 50% in last 7 days.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Summers off are nice if they choose to take off. Agree, pension and benefits are a plus. Not saying it’s a crap job but if we want to move into the 22nd century, we have to do better investing in our youth. Cut the bs of wasting gizzilions on wars and lets spend on our children. It’s not just about passing tests and making high grades either. Kids need to learn at a young age how to be great people first and foremost. Community service, activisim, taking care of the elderly...should be part of their growth at the public level, very early. Active in sports, music, art. I know it’s a choice as to who does what but we can do better by having a larger teacher to student ratio, higher pay, and giving them all the tools and resources available to set them up to be good people. The fact that our school district (which is highly rated) asks for donations with supplies, etc...I can only imagine what the poorer districts have to go through. Give each kid an equal chance, no matter their economic situation. LFG already.

Sounds like you want more responsible parents and them more involved. I agree. Dumping more money into the schools won’t fix this. We already do that. 

9 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Was visiting my sister last weekend in Boston and did aTrillium delivery. Going to light the wood stove and put a few back.

Screenshot_20201030-184121_Gallery.jpg

Nice dude. Trilly one of the best. Scaled Up and Summer St both are fantastic . Haven’t had Atlantic Ave. Can’t read the others, but you can’t go wrong. Enjoy!

23 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Dang. Already 90k new cases at 6:30pm.       Hopefully the death lag doesn’t reveal itself and we’re just catching cases we would have missed before. 

More cases are being caught, but the virus is actually spreading more as well.  Nationwide hospitalizations are up by 50% since the beginning of the month.  The current hospitalizations are at about 3/4 of what they were in the summer peak, but we will fly past that mark at the rate we are going.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

More cases are being caught, but the virus is actually spreading more as well.  Nationwide hospitalizations are up by 50% since the beginning of the month.  The current hospitalizations are at about 3/4 of what they were in the summer peak, but we will fly past that mark at the rate we are going.

Are the hospitalizations far less serious, however? People go to the hospital with fevers in the fall and winter a lot and it doesn’t make the news because they get some fluids/NSAIDs and are then released. Busy ERs are basically hospitals operating as designed. 

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Are the hospitalizations far less serious, however? People go to the hospital with fevers in the fall and winter a lot and it doesn’t make the news because they get some fluids/NSAIDs and are then released. Busy ERs are basically hospitals operating as designed. 

Per Covid Tracking, there are over 9000 people in the ICU (out of about 47,000 covid hospitalizations) and almost 2500 currently on a ventilator.  Knowledge/treatments are better now than in spring, but the numbers are growing at a rate that won't prevent deaths from rising.  Daily deaths are in fact already rising.

Ah, no.  People don't go to hospitals seasonally.   You really think people say hey it's fall, let's go to the ER?  Please.

What you need to look at are the ICU capacity numbers.  Places like Texas, not good.  You got a heart attack or something there, you're pretty much on your own.  Beds taken up by Covid patients.  Hey, but the economy. 

2 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Ah, no.  People don't go to hospitals seasonally.   You really think people say hey it's fall, let's go to the ER?  Please.

What you need to look at are the ICU capacity numbers.  Places like Texas, not good.  You got a heart attack or something there, you're pretty much on your own.  Beds taken up by Covid patients.  Hey, but the economy. 

People go to the hospital with high fevers all the time. It isn’t a social visit, I never argued that. 

Solid fear-mongering here. Yeah, if you have a heart attack in Texas you will die due to lack of care. Spread that fear. We all know how you voted...

30 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Yes they do, its called a flu season. Other health issues tend to be more prevalent in the winter as well. Of course per CDC flu hospitalizations don't start normally rising until December and we don't have 20k+ hospitalized with the flu through the entire year. Unless you are in El Paso, there is plenty of hospital capacity available. Texas is a big state

13 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Yes they do, its called a flu season. Other health issues tend to be more prevalent in the winter as well. Of course per CDC flu hospitalizations don't start normally rising until December and we don't have 20k+ hospitalized with the flu through the entire year. Unless you are in El Paso, there is plenty of hospital capacity available. Texas is a big state

Italian hospitals are almost totally overrun every single year during flu season. There are many articles about it from previous years. Clearly some folks think mostly empty hospitals are the norm. No clue why they think that makes sense from a business perspective. Doctors and nurses get paid when they see patients. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Italian hospitals are almost totally overrun every single year during flu season. There are many articles about it from previous years. Clearly some folks think mostly empty hospitals are the norm. No clue why they think that makes sense from a business perspective. Doctors and nurses get paid when they see patients. 

True, hospitals are designed to run in high as capacity as possible. empty beds mean no money.  part of was really hurting hospitals this year was everyone postponing their "elective" surgery (kind of a misnomer because in reality it just means any procedure not necessary to preserve life in the short term).Meant less money for the hospital and people with worse health issues because they delayed.

Anyways,. back to weather. Didn't mind the snow actually, even being so early.

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My father spent over three decades working as an emergency physician in a couple ER's.... and I know he saw a lot of patients that did not need to go to the ER.  People go to the hospital for very benign things, which is so much more common than true life or death situations.  He always used to say fevers were one of the biggest reasons to go to the ER, despite most people just needing to stay in bed for a day or two and take some over-the-counter meds.  The hospitals can be pretty busy most of the time, well before any pandemic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Speaking for myself, I’d avoid any ER with numbers spiking the way they are right now.  I’d have to be in real bad shape before exposing myself like that. Most probably feel the same way. 

That mentality has led to a lot of unnecessary deaths and worsening of treatable diseases for some people. People need to go to the hospital if needed. COVID fear is so unhelpful on multiple levels. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

That mentality has led to a lot of unnecessary deaths and worsening of treatable diseases for some people. People need to go to the hospital if needed. COVID fear is so unhelpful on multiple levels. 

Not saying it’s the right mindset. Just saying that’s how I feel. And probably a lot of others do too. Right or wrong. We need to get this virus in check somehow. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s the word from medical professionals on the FN media as well...an added benefit if ‘Merika was fully on board. 

Im hopeful this year’s flu vaccine is effective. Plus there is some (albeit weak) evidence it might be helpful vs Covid-19

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Im hopeful this year’s flu vaccine is effective. Plus there is some (albeit weak) evidence it might be helpful vs Covid-19

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

Im going to get one this week, can't hurt, right?

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We were required at work to get it, ( I get it anyways), but I’d imagine it certainly can only help with regards to covid