Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

6 hours ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

Yeah, for Christmas make grandma show her test results before she can sample the egg nog. 

So dumb. Full kool-aid drinker here, folks.

I think you're dramatizing his idea a little.  It sounds pretty responsible to me.  Probably a good way to have a semi-normal holiday gathering without putting the family and community at greater risk.

How does that make him a kool-aid drinker?

20 hours ago, radarman said:

The chart is probably a lot more telling about socialization habits than covid.  Chicago is masked up and covid is exploding, but nobody knows their neighbors so it's cool.

Meanwhile deaths are nowhere close, not in the same stratosphere as the spring.  So either a) the virus has weakened b) the treatments have improved c) vitamin d helps a lot d) the weakest are already dead e) way, way more people had it in the spring than they knew about f) all of the above

Regardless, deaths don't lie.  It ain't what it used to be, a fact we should celebrate not deny.

Imo this is a case of mostly “b” . Speaking for NH, we never had an outbreak here (trending towards this now though) and so d and e don’t apply.

What’s missed here —on a national level—is many younger and healthier people are getting it now...

I’d combine this with “b” to explain trend in lower CFR.

I think big risk for a reversal in positive CFR trend is flu season, combined with no lockdowns possibly resulting in overwhelming healthcare system and treatment quality deteriorating...That would be another “oh $hit moment” ... This risk remains low *for now*...fortunately...

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

Yeah, for Christmas make grandma show her test results before she can sample the egg nog. 

So dumb. Full kool-aid drinker here, folks.

I do understand your sentiment on some aspects of this . For elderly thou , that is the one age group where this is actually very dangerous ...

Now ..if we reach next winter , and the vaccine is say 50 % effective,  the IFR is down even a tad more ..and this becomes a very annual thing w lockdowns and restrictions ..I will very much go on living my life ..as I did before, I just will continue to be very mindful of elderly  . I already believe Covid is being ..leveraged. 

My posts about the positive case growth  and numbers And trends in USA , Europe  and coming hospitalizations and what I see coming down the pike the last two days  is not from the angle of I support all  the policies that have just decimated some industries for good at a time when Congress lack of continued action Which has really led to tremendous increase in financial inequality if you are in those industries .

You can’t do lockdowns without continued full  financial support of workers in industries that are decimated and forced into closure , failure . You need to buy these people time to retrain their job skills.

Bigger picture there are some larger changes afoot, We are certainly entering the Technotronic era as Zigbinew Bryzenski excitedly describes in the out of print ..” Between two ages” Covid is a opportunity and no good opportunity goes to waste unless people are very naive .

18 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Or not. Anxiously waiting to see results from this study, which this far has been rejected by three high impact journals
https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-danish-newspaper-reveals-largest-study-masks-rejected?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1603397121

I’ll keep wearing my P95. It at least keeps me from having to smell other people’s bad breath and body odor.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’ll keep wearing my P95. It at least keeps me from having to smell other people’s bad breath and body odor.

Yea, not a good trend there. This is data from people working from home. Cooler weather here will mean less bathing, we are in for a long winter. 

image.png.e2b2b567b7460ff8b24acba08e778d19.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

I think you're dramatizing his idea a little.  It sounds pretty responsible to me.  Probably a good way to have a semi-normal holiday gathering without putting the family and community at greater risk.

How does that make him a kool-aid drinker?

That idea has been thrown around by many medical professionals. He’s being dramatic, as always, but if everyone who is getting together knows they don’t have it...nothing to worry about. Again, may not be practical for some but just an idea for those are are at high risk or concerned. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Genuine question: do those filters work on both inhale and exhale? I thought the primary goal of wearing masks was to prevent you from potentially spreading it to someone else.

43°F off a low of 34°F

16 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Genuine question: do those filters work on both inhale and exhale? I thought the primary goal of wearing masks was to prevent you from potentially spreading it to someone else.

43°F off a low of 34°F

There's a strong inhalation restriction with those as the only way for air to enter is through the mask filter. Of course there's much less restriction while exhaling, but there's still some since there's a valve there that you have to breathe out against. If I sneeze or cough a lot of it is getting caught inside of the mask filter too. But I'm not going to lie...I'm looking out for me first. I use these to clean my coop everyday so I know how much they keep out of my lungs.

Some of the masks I see people wearing are like wide open and flapping on the sides. Those aren't doing much to stop small droplets in and out either. I understand what others have posted and know that they may not be doing much...correlation obviously doesn't mean causation, but I'll keep wearing mine anyway. It's not causing harm to wear it.

42/28

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Testing is useful to a point. It’s still just a snapshot in time. Say I test negative before getting on the plane to visit my parents. That’s great but if I’m exposed at the airport, or was exposed prior to that and became infectious after the test, it’s quite possible I’d be asymptomatic and that’s the danger for my parents. 

I likely lost a family member early in the pandemic in this fashion so I’m just extra cognizant of the risks. At this point I think my plan is to test before traveling and test a few days after traveling, or traveling and limiting my time there to reduce any potential exposure risk for them. 

It is just snapshot and thus not perfect especially if you’re traveling. It’s not easy, it sucks. Hopefully this magically just goes away soon. It didn’t happen for Easter nor the summer...but just maybe third time is a charm. 

On 10/24/2020 at 7:37 AM, greenmtnwx said:

Which systems? I talk to healthcare all over country and not hearing that. Testing = cases, not hearing overwhelmed. 

In the hottest areas.  ICU units at or above capacity in places all over the country but mostly in the areas with little margin of error.   There also are shortages of PPE still which is kind of appalling. I’m aware of issues all over the place based on conversations with many former coworkers.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That was one of the craziest things I’ve watched.  Two outs, bottom of the 9th... the “Double Buckner” they fall it.

Outfielder boots ball

Base runner  rounding third trips and falls heading home

Catcher turns to tag a runner that isn't there and does so before he has ball in glove and ball deflects far away

Runner gets up and then scores

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Outfielder boots ball

Base runner  rounding third trips and falls heading home

Catcher turns to tag a runner that isn't there and does so before he has ball in glove and ball deflects far away

Runner gets up and then scores

Pitcher also failed to back up the catcher, as soon as that ball is hit to the outfield he should be running behind the catcher to backup the play at the plate...instead he’s standing in no mans land in front of home plate.

It was a pure little league play, ha.

• Haha 2

On 10/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, Ginx snewx said:

You understand that the great majority of cases are under 50 year olds and asymptomatic compared to July?

The main concern is for their older family members.   We went to Vermont 2 weeks ago to visit our daughter.  We demanded she test within 72 hours of our visit and we did as well.   In my part time gig, seeing the writing on the wall I opted out of F2F care and am remote a day/week.  If they told me no soap, I’d have said nice knowing you.   But I readily admit I have this option and can easily survive without working at all.  Many people in our age cohort are not so lucky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The main concern is for their older family members.   We went to Vermont 2 weeks ago to visit our daughter.  We demanded she test within 72 hours of our visit and we did as well.   In my part time gig, seeing the writing on the wall I opted out of F2F care and am remote a day/week.  If they told me no soap, I’d have said nice knowing you.   But I readily admit I have this option and can easily survive without working at all.  Many people in our age cohort are not so lucky.

We were talking death rate based on cases being different from July

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We were talking death rate based on cases being different from July

Yes and I absolutely am convinced (without hard science yet) that this so called 3rd wave has mutated to a less virulent strain.  With that said, some of the numbers about the stretching and overwhelming of resources are very concerning.

• Like 1