Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Gorgeous.  Only shore fishing? Massachusetts lol

I ran the Quabbin "Day Care Center" all summer. She really loved the loon calls. We were probably out there 3-4 days per week. If we went more than a couple days without going out she would sit at the back slider looking at the boat yelling "fiiisshhhh." Would wake up around 4/4:30, get all my work done, head out around 10am, pack a ton of food and she would nap in a tent on the boat. Great summer out there. 

No description available.

122248638_355469988869260_2549275867074493856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=OhO2x2V8ZpEAX_h4V4C&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=45d50254dede3ec09b7d589842fe1616&oe=5FB672FF

• Like 3

The seal is a really easy process that gets a bad rap around here. Once out there I really understood it. Don't want to see the place get trashed with invasive species like so many other lakes in CT/MA/RI. There is little/no vegetation in the place, fish and wildlife are fat and healthy, just prime. Bring it to a car wash up in Athol (they have 2 wash days per month) and they have a decon process. Then it is wired to your trailer any time you are not in the Quabbin. If you want to put it in another lake you have to cut the wire, go where ever, then have it decontaminated all again.

It's like a $40 season pass in my book. As close to being in the wilderness in Mass as you can come, bears and cubs walking the shore, deer and moose swimming across it, loons everywhere, bald eagles dive bombing the water for trout. Feels like a lake in the middle of Maine most times and you might see 2-3 other boats all day during the week.  

• Like 4

Just making one post ...Not to obsess, but has anyone taken a little peak over in Europe at the Rate of daily Covid cases over the last 3-4 weeks. Italy is up 7x (700%) France, Spain and UK all up 250% or greater in last 3 weeks.  I would guess they may foreshadow us to a degree (hopefully a lesser one) 

And just worth noting as testing has increased, if you were wondering if they were catching mostly mild cases that were hidden...Italian Covid Hospitalization  was up 55% in ONE week 0ct 11-18 (last Hospitalization data was released on 18'th) and it's accepted knowledge that Hospitalizations lag new cases by a good 10 days ...I would not be shocked to see their hospital system have De Ja Vu before Thanksgiving.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just making one post ...Not to obsess, but has anyone taken a little peak over in Europe at the Rate of daily Covid cases over the last 3-4 weeks. Italy is up 7x (700%) France, Spain and UK all up 250% or greater in last 3 weeks.  I would guess they may foreshadow us to a degree (hopefully a lesser one) 

And just worth noting as testing has increased, if you were wondering if they were catching mostly mild cases that were hidden...Italian Covid Hospitalization  was up 55% in ONE week 0ct 11-18 (last Hospitalization data was released on 18'th) and it's accepted knowledge that Hospitalizations lag new cases by a good 10 days ...I would not be shocked to see their hospital system have De Ja Vu before Thanksgiving.  

I've been thinking about it a lot too. I suspect that Thanksgiving is either going to look a lot different this year or we'll really be looking at a spike mid-December. We've had Thanksgivings with enough snow to cut our power and some that have been relatively mild. I suspect if we're going to host people this year it will be something on the order of "If the weather's at all decent..."

Our school district has already decided that from Thanksgiving week through MLK day, the schools will be fully remote. I imagine it will be helpful in a number of ways. I've heard that the high school alone is going through a tremendous amount of heating oil with having the windows open. It's one thing to think about cooler weather next week in terms of yard work. When you think about heating all the schools with open windows, it makes me wonder how it's all going to get paid for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, monadnocks said:

I've been thinking about it a lot too. I suspect that Thanksgiving is either going to look a lot different this year or we'll really be looking at a spike mid-December. We've had Thanksgivings with enough snow to cut our power and some that have been relatively mild. I suspect if we're going to host people this year it will be something on the order of "If the weather's at all decent..."

Our school district has already decided that from Thanksgiving week through MLK day, the schools will be fully remote. I imagine it will be helpful in a number of ways. I've heard that the high school alone is going through a tremendous amount of heating oil with having the windows open. It's one thing to think about cooler weather next week in terms of yard work. When you think about heating all the schools with open windows, it makes me wonder how it's all going to get paid for.

Agreed. I would guess Full remote is coming for Mass by Xmas Break. 

Anyways, i'm just looking forward to some Snow chances even if i have to drive my car to Cannon mountain parking lot (like i did last weekend lol)

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I have no idea what I’ll do for the holidays. I have to very high risk parents and they’re desperate to bring the whole family together.

I am a Trainer at  a nice little  personal training Studio in Mass and the 75 year old ladies are hell bent on working out or have been since we re-opened. They desperately want some sort of social interaction , they basically LIVE to see their grand kids and that has been taken from many of them and there is a very real level of Depression that many elderly are feeling, especially those at nursing homes ...a mix of fear and really loneliness and dispair which i find heart breaking ( I like to joke a lot on here and in life) but it really is a brutal combination of either fear and especially isolation for many elderly that has been the hidden curse that takes the  joy that many had in their lives out even if they dodge the Rona. 

Here is a statistic everyone should be familiar with.  It's eye popping 

.6% of The Us population lives in Elderly care facilities and 40% of Covid deaths occurred there. Read that till it sinks in> That should be the focus for this late fall and winter . 

• Like 1