Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My wife and I already avoid the Conway area. Too many Massholes. LOL

We like staying in the very rural areas. The locals are welcoming and great, honestly. Berlin needs our dollars more than Conway anyway.

For sure. One of the reasons we go to western ME so much is it’s off the beaten path somewhat. We love that vibe more than the touristy feel. I do love North Conway’s views and they have a nice restaurant scene for when we want to do that kind of thing, but we don’t want a full week of it when vacationing. So we stay 30 minutes east. 

And yeah, Berlin could use your dollars any time, not just during covid, LOL. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I still don't think I see enforcement.  It seems like that moves into an uncomfortable level of state's rights.  I personally am not for enforcement.  I think it can be an ask, a request, but legally I'm not on board with actual enforcement.  I think the only reason for some sort of control valve is from how busy it has been this fall.  Any outbreak, tourist and especially employees, has the potential to shut things down at least on a local or business level.

Gov. Scott and the administration has been pretty adamant that they prefer education over enforcement. It is treading a fine line but I’m not sure how else a small state like ours with limited medical resources   can deal with it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Was just gonna say that lol.  Nice weenie views from up there, and quite good elevation.  Used to have a couple cold ones up there back in the old high school days. 

Yeah Nobscot Hill is over 600 feet. Most people prob dont think anywhere in Framingham gets that high, lol. 

Track and trace shows increase in CT COVID-19 positivity rate mostly comes from informal gatherings, carpooling

The state’s track and trace program shows it’s not coming from inside dining or schools, but the largest number is coming from informal gatherings and even things you don’t even think about like carpooling.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/coronavirus/ct-reaches-3-covid-19-positivity-rate-but-where-is-the-increase-coming-from/

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Track and trace shows increase in CT COVID-19 positivity rate mostly comes from informal gatherings, carpooling

The state’s track and trace program shows it’s not coming from inside dining or schools, but the largest number is coming from informal gatherings and even things you don’t even think about like carpooling.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/coronavirus/ct-reaches-3-covid-19-positivity-rate-but-where-is-the-increase-coming-from/

I am dropping my car off for some service tomorrow and asked if they could give me a ride to my office.  They haven't been given the go ahead to do that yet up here.  Sounds like it will be a while.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Carpooling makes sense-small enclosed environment.     Everyone here is back to giving rides to people/other people's kids to games etc.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Why was the fatality rate 10 times higher in the first few weeks in New York as compared to other major metropolitan areas like Miami (where they actually a larger outbreak)

5 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Nursing home outbreaks....

I read this story from WSJ that said after the debacle in Northern Italy, many European Doctors were warning against the over use of ventilators and were recommending supplemental oxygen as the first line of defense.. but hospital protocols in NYC discouraged use of noninvasive oxygen therapy because of fear that this would aerate the virus causing it to spread within the hospitals.  Furthermore ventilators and the associated induced coma would almost always lead to renal failure and require dialysis.. but hospitals werent equipped to handle the surge and many died waiting for treatment for kidney failure that they never actually needed to have.    

Today, Doctors are reluctant to use ventilators and often see these as "last resort" treatments. 

I saw a number that 90% of the people put in comas over the age of 70 in NYC never woke up.  

I cant believe this hasn't been brought to light.. that it is not news.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A very wise decision. Land like that never loses value in the long run. 

Have to factor in how much they're getting you for property taxes in the meantime, and the opportunity cost of sinking in the cash.  Young investors should probably first make sure the credit cards are paid off, and even consider an extra mortgage payment, especially now that most take the standard deduction on federal income taxes, thus negating mortgage interest / salt deduction.   I mean if you have time and the ability to do a lot of building yourself, then it may be a different story.  Or if you can pay to build right away and can be a landlord, or have someone you really trust nearby, to get cash flowing quickly.  Even then landlording/airbnb'ing a single residential unit not right nearby is rarely profitable IMO, esp in MA where laws are totally stacked for the tenant.

18 minutes ago, radarman said:

Have to factor in how much they're getting you for property taxes in the meantime, and the opportunity cost of sinking in the cash.  Young investors should probably first make sure the credit cards are paid off, and even consider an extra mortgage payment, especially now that most take the standard deduction on federal income taxes, thus negating mortgage interest / salt deduction.   I mean if you have time and the ability to do a lot of building yourself, then it may be a different story.  Or if you can pay to build right away and can be a landlord, or have someone you really trust nearby to get cash flowing quickly.  Even then landlording/airbnb'ing a single residential unit not right nearby is rarely profitable IMO, esp in MA where laws are totally stacked for the tenant.

Oh yeah, no doubt you need to clear debt with high interest rates and short repayment windows before you go off buying investment land. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Facebook reminding me that it was 8 years ago today that the Euro locked in on Sandy's left turn. Good times.

Super exciting time. I don't think I slept more than a few hours each night that whole week. I was practically psychotic by the time landfall actually happened.