Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

Franklin and Hampshire are in the yellow on the VT travel page, so no soup for us.  

Jeezuz, that must’ve just changed this week again.  We literally only have a handful of cases here but our population is so low the ratio they use screws us.  
It also has kept me from investing in any interstate ski passes since come winter time we might not be allowed to overnight anywhere. 

15 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Jeezuz, that must’ve just changed this week again.  We literally only have a handful of cases here but our population is so low the ratio they use screws us.  
It also has kept me from investing in any interstate ski passes since come winter time we might not be allowed to overnight anywhere. 

Same.  I let the Magic early deadline come and go for lack of certainty.  Could really use a big, big SNE winter.

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Even though Franklin county is 700 mi.² if we have more than 28 cases in the entire county,  the ratio they use means we cannot enter VT w/o quarantine.  Crazy.  That is going to be a nightmare for the Vermont tourist economy.

I have a slopeside place at Saddleback to use this year.  It's a cool 5.5/6hr drive, so suffice to say, it won't be often.  Maybe I'll try to make it up to the Loaf at some point, which I have never been to.   Stars are aligning I guess.

I have a slopeside place at Saddleback to use this year.  It's a cool 5.5/6hr drive, so suffice to say, it won't be often.  Maybe I'll try to make it up to the Loaf at some point, which I have never been to.   Stars are aligning I guess.
How long have you had saddleback condo? Glad to see they're reopening even with covid restrictions.

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
10 minutes ago, radarman said:

How long have you had saddleback condo? Glad to see they're reopening even with covid restrictions.

It's been in the fam since shortly before they first closed and has seen very little occupancy in that time.  Kind of a random long story how it came to pass, and the fact is not many of us are willing/able to make the haul.  A lot easier to chase powder in the greens on day trips.   But it looks like a cool place and I think I recall Diane spending a winter or something up there and speaking highly of it.

It's been in the fam since shortly before they first closed and has seen very little occupancy in that time.  Kind of a random long story how it came to pass, and the fact is not many of us are willing/able to make the haul.  A lot easier to chase powder in the greens on day trips.   But it looks like a cool place and I think I recall Diane spending a winter or something up there and speaking highly of it.
Interested in renting out for a weekend? I skied saddleback back in 80-90s. Great place. Skied there twice since it changed hands. Wife and I looking forward to heading up this year, otherwise we usually go to Sunday River

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Even though Franklin county is 700 mi.² if we have more than 28 cases in the entire county,  the ratio they use means we cannot enter VT w/o quarantine.  Crazy.  That is going to be a nightmare for the Vermont tourist economy. 

Not if this fall is any indication.  We've had too many people to handle 50% restaurant seating and the regional ski area activities.  Wait times at the Stowe and Killington gondolas were 1-2 hours for a month worth of weekends in a row.

This is why I was saying people have been getting angry because they can't go out to dinner (sold out at 50% occupancy), they can't ride the Gondola (1-2 hour wait), they can't take the Toll Road (huge wait and traffic)...

These are crowds with severe quarantine restrictions! 

IMG_0785.jpg.cf8696ce7b7a10a14340ff50e3eb75bd.jpg

Backed up a good half mile from the summit.

TollRoadCrowd.jpg.1aa3347aa8ef1b2ec9407229ffae9609.jpg

Bumper to bumper grid lock... like Cape Cod on July 4th!

Traffic.jpg.2fa3213ca0fc344bb1b06808ca5de216.jpg

A very long way from the Gondola.

446485536_Gondolaline.jpg.e2e17fe796c4b1eb1f871574226eb590.jpg

Cars parking as far as you can see.  Only reason for the open spaces is they stopped letting cars in.

ParkingLots.thumb.jpg.77fada699a2a691e01e414956d67ebd4.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea PF, its not like its tumbleweeds blowing down main streets of VT villages...its been an about zoo down here also almost all of OCT, restaurants always crowded and outdoor dining always seems filled on nice days.

It has been incredible!  It's so crowded the experience is actually negatively affected on that end.  Some of these people think they are going to be "sneaking in" to enjoy a less crowded area... LOL joke was on them.  Thousands of people in town lately... the Waterbury/Stowe stretch of RT 100 from I-89 has been bumper to bumper for a month straight.

I have been saying for a while that there would be major logjams in VT and NH because people can't/won't get on airplanes and travel elsewhere. They are all staying local and going to places they can reach within a day's travel by car.

I am so glad I bought north of the Presidentials. Just saying. Conway/Jackson/Bartlett area is a total mess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How are they going to stop people from coming who are in the yellow? :lol: 

Seems like there’s no enforcement. But they could always go the RI route and start pulling cars over....but they got a ton of backlash for that and eventually stopped, so it seems unlikely other areas will start doing it. 

But there’s a critical difference between winter and summer. Bigger chance of spreading in the winter when people are forced indoors more. Now you wouldn’t expect it at ski resorts too much as long as they are limiting lodge capacity, but we don’t know how other places will be affected. You get a couple stories of out-of-State skiers spreading the virus in a restaurant or something, all of the sudden you could see strict enforcement measures. 

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

I have been saying for a while that there would be major logjams in VT and NH because people can't/won't get on airplanes and travel elsewhere. They are all staying local and going to places they can reach within a day's travel by car.

I am so glad I bought north of the Presidentials. Just saying. Conway/Jackson/Bartlett area is a total mess.

I believe it.  It has not been "dead' and you don't hear the tourist industry cratering, to be honest. 

You made a great choice.  If I was working remotely or owning a company on cruise control as I think you put it, I'd probably be heading further away and out there.  We really enjoy the services, restaurants and general stuff going on here at this time in our life, but at this rate we'll be heading further out in the next 5 years.  Might be too late by then with the real estate market though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Phin going to VT to buy beer?

LOL...I remember seeing that movie in theaters as a teenager. 

Anyways, I’d go into Maine before VT if I was where phin is. That western part of Maine has a very northern NH vibe as it is. 

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Seems like there’s no enforcement. But they could always go the RI route and start pulling cars over....but they got a ton of backlash for that and eventually stopped, so it seems unlikely other areas will start doing it. 

But there’s a critical difference between winter and summer. Bigger chance of spreading in the winter when people are forced indoors more. Now you wouldn’t expect it at ski resorts too much as long as they are limiting lodge capacity, but we don’t know how other places will be affected. You get a couple stories of out-of-State skiers spreading the virus in a restaurant or something, all of the sudden you could see strict enforcement measures. 

I still don't think I see enforcement.  It seems like that moves into an uncomfortable level of state's rights.  I personally am not for enforcement.  I think it can be an ask, a request, but legally I'm not on board with actual enforcement.  I think the only reason for some sort of control valve is from how busy it has been this fall.  Any outbreak, tourist and especially employees, has the potential to shut things down at least on a local or business level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Anyways, I’d go into Maine before VT if I was where phin is. That western part of Maine has a very northern NH vibe as it is. 

My wife and I already avoid the Conway area. Too many Massholes. LOL

We like staying in the very rural areas. The locals are welcoming and great, honestly. Berlin needs our dollars more than Conway anyway.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think my county is the only county in Massachusetts that’s allowed to stay over there right now.

I thought it was pretty much say you quarantined at home for 14 days before you go, is that not an option any more. I spoke to a couple front desk reps for nice spots in Vermont and when i just said "ya ya level with me" they said " yes that is indeed the case.we  ask that nobody not feeling well travels but yes". That was in August but i didn't go because the pool hours were restricted and by appointment only.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good makeout movie. I remember I saw the Swayze movie "Black Dog" twice in a row on the same day in HS to make out with a chick for like 3 hours. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1