• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

I remember musing the numerology of 2015, SNE's     ...   300% above normal snow that season   ... and getting no even acknowledgement - gee wonder why lol..

... if it snowed      0%     for three consecutive years, we would be perfectly average.  

Now, since it has snowed substantially more that 0% since that 300% season, .. purely from a 'just deserts' perspective, we probably have to go another 13 years of 50% ( smeared out in between warm ups in sloped sun over dead Earth) where the 50% is only there because of snow squalls at 2 am ....  to finally get to our 20 years average and all is good and every has been delivered just they way the wanted it... muah hahaha

By the time the numbers work out ... the cadre of conspiracy to correct the population down to a select few will have perfected upon their failed SAR-CoV-2 weaponization ... So in effect, 2015 was the last winter - and we didn't even know it while it was happening. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I remember musing the numerology of 2015, SNE's     ...   300% above normal snow that season   ... and getting no even acknowledgement - gee wonder why lol..

... if it snowed      0%     for three consecutive years, we would be perfectly average.  

Now, since it has snowed substantially more that 0% since that 300% season, .. purely from a 'just deserts' perspective, we probably have to go another 13 years of 50% ( smeared out in between warm ups in sloped sun over dead Earth) where the 50% is only there because of snow squalls at 2 am ....  to finally get to our 20 years average and all is good and every has been delivered just they way the wanted it... muah hahaha

By the time the numbers work out ... the cadre of conspiracy to correct the population down to a select few will have perfected upon their failed SAR-CoV-2 weaponization ... So in effect, 2015 was the last winter - and we didn't even know it while it was happening. 

Well '17-'18 was pretty damned good. (96" at ORH and 60" at BOS)...and actually 2016-2017 was above avg too, just less so than 2017-2018. I think BOS was 50ish and ORH 80ish.

No doubt the last two winters have sucked though for SNE...as well as the one immediately following '14-'15.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well '17-'18 was pretty damned good. (96" at ORH and 60" at BOS)...and actually 2016-2017 was above avg too, just less so than 2017-2018. I think BOS was 50ish and ORH 80ish.

No doubt the last two winters have sucked though for SNE...as well as the one immediately following '14-'15.

Right ...so we're actually still owing - lol... 

Nah.. in actuality, since the climate is changing and that is showing up with increased PWAT and totaling everywhere in the world with huge growing sample set of data points over 30 years now ( so don't give me that shit... no you the general reader ), ... the instability in the climate sort of makes any kind of statistical argument for "balancing" bullshit.  Balancing what then - ? For all we know...we are heading into a 300" per year winter tendency and that was the first one...  you get 4 off.... now we'll get two in a row...then we'll get 3 off... and then 3 in row... then we'll get 10 in row, and then they are all rain 2060 ... 

Or something else altogether. Point is, climate changing means ... you can't use past climate - ...it's a matter of how fast the change is occurring to determine how obsolete the data really is... 

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

300% AN?  4 times the average?  Wouldn't that be near 170" for BOS?  14-15 was super for the eastern half of SNE, but that super?   (Just idle curiosity, which has gotten me in trouble before.)

Factoring in the hyperbolic jest might slow the train down enough for you to hop on board.

LOL ...

Yeah, no I don't know - Will or someone would..  I think Logan 110" ...? which is probably 200% ..spit ballin' ..I don't really have that area of Meteorology on my mental sleeve. haha

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Factoring in the hyperbolic jest might slow the train down enough for you to hop on board.

LOL ...

Yeah, no I don't know - Will or someone would..  I think Logan 110" ...? which is probably 200% ..spit ballin' ..I don't really have that area of Meteorology on my mental sleeve. haha

110" at Logan is probably about 250% - said the numbers Nazi.  :o

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Right ...so we're actually still owing - lol... 

Nah.. in actuality, since the climate is changing and that is showing up with increased PWAT and totaling everywhere in the world with huge growing sample set of data points over 30 years now ( so don't give me that shit... no you the general reader ), ... the instability in the climate sort of makes any kind of statistical argument for "balancing" bullshit.  Balancing what then - ? For all we know...we are heading into a 300" per year winter tendency and that was the first one...  you get 4 off.... now we'll get two in a row...then we'll get 3 off... and then 3 in row... then we'll get 10 in row, and then they are all rain 2060 ... 

Or something else altogether. Point is, climate changing means ... you can't use past climate - ...it's a matter of how fast the change is occurring to determine how obsolete the data really is... 

I think we can still use past climate to determine how likely a future event is...especially if we have pretty good knowledge of how the ambient environment has changed. So for example, we know there has been a 7% increase in water vapor with about a 1C increase in temps, so we can adjust the precip accordingly. Ditto for things like a heat wave or cold wave.

Now, obviously for really rare one-off events like the '38 hurricane, October 2011 snowstorm, etc....it becomes a little harder to quantify return frequencies in a current world vs the past.

Even using 30 year snowfall averages....they do change, but it's remarkably consistent when you think about it. They might change by 20% at most for a place like BOS? And BOS aleady is a fairly "high-variance" snowfall location. Lowest I've seen BOS is like 40" and the highest is like 48" for a rolling 30 year avg.

Speaking of VT, looks like most of us massholes are banned again.  Hampshire county has very few cases except those at UMass, which was enough to put us in the red by their standards.  Berkshire and Franklin county peeps can still go freely, for now... I had a season pass to Magic sitting in the shopping cart when I decided I'd better check on it.  Think I'll wait.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So I’m going to VT tomorrow and was tested yesterday.   Am I banned?   

Based on this page I think so.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/traveling-vermont

However...

"Quarantining Before Coming IS an Option

If you plan to travel to Vermont in a personal vehicle (including a rental vehicle or private plane), you may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in your home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions. Continue to quarantine until you travel to Vermont"

29 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So I’m going to VT tomorrow and was tested yesterday.   Am I banned?   

Just pretend to be leaf peeping.  They barely know what state they are in, and it seems they all just got their drivers licenses before coming, not a COVID test  :lol:.  Three-way stop signs are very tricky to navigate.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Speaking of VT, looks like most of us massholes are banned again.  Hampshire county has very few cases except those at UMass, which was enough to put us in the red by their standards.  Berkshire and Franklin county peeps can still go freely, for now... I had a season pass to Magic sitting in the shopping cart when I decided I'd better check on it.  Think I'll wait.

Nice.... just in time to torpedo ski season.... I’m sure NH will be next 

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Congrats VT on legalizing recreational Marijuana today.  Maines first recreational marijuna sales starts tomorrow as well. 

It’s so widely used that it makes sense to try and get some tax dollars out of it.  Just to clarify (I know what you meant though), recreational marijuana has been legal since 2018... but this new bill is to permit recreational sales (starting in 2022).

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Congrats VT on legalizing recreational Marijuana today.  Maines first recreational marijuna sales starts tomorrow as well. 

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s so widely used that it makes sense to try and get some tax dollars out of it.  Just to clarify (I know what you meant though), recreational marijuana has been legal since 2018... but this new bill is to permit recreational sales (starting in 2022).

It's been legal for a couple of years, you just couldn't buy it or give it as a gift.  All you could do was grow your own.  

18 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think we can still use past climate to determine how likely a future event is...especially if we have pretty good knowledge of how the ambient environment has changed. So for example, we know there has been a 7% increase in water vapor with about a 1C increase in temps, so we can adjust the precip accordingly. Ditto for things like a heat wave or cold wave.

Now, obviously for really rare one-off events like the '38 hurricane, October 2011 snowstorm, etc....it becomes a little harder to quantify return frequencies in a current world vs the past.

Even using 30 year snowfall averages....they do change, but it's remarkably consistent when you think about it. They might change by 20% at most for a place like BOS? And BOS aleady is a fairly "high-variance" snowfall location. Lowest I've seen BOS is like 40" and the highest is like 48" for a rolling 30 year avg.

Oh sure - wasn't intending to mean we can't use climate ... my skepticism triggers at low observation of change I suppose. 

Just to reiterate for anyone following ... it's a matter of how fast the climate is changing in assessing how obsolete the past has become - 

We are right ...we are to date talking about 1 degree this and a lot of decimal modulations. That doesn't seem like much?  By convention of numerology ( lol ) ... the # 1 is a small digit.

But I would caution, therein is risk ...small numbers don't mean small changes to a system - particularly if said system deals with the machinery of a planetary systemic scale, and the endless polynomial terms influencing the synergistic outcome.  It may in fact take ginormous change in a system guided by both positively and negatively compensating forces, to actually register a single degree of change in that system - but the boundary of change is being stretched ...will it snap? And, that ginormous change then is like having held back a historic flood with an outmoded dam.

The climate is said to be 'changing' faster than the early climate change science predicted it would.  Threshold mechanics comes into play as well.. I mean, we may be pushing decimals, then boom ...flash 10 pts .... you don't know. I don't know.  We are in unprecedented waters in terms of Human influence in the geophysical environment of the planet. That much is empirical and cannot be argued - the anthropogenic C02 contribution, when added to the normal geological processes, sum to the biggest flux ever - unless that conclusion's been veraciously shown to not be true.  Can we imagine ( then ) if we add Siberian permafrost locked Methane to the party - ho man.

For all we know, there is lag in response and as the momentum for change itself gets going, we haven't seen thus felt the punch of it yet ...

Even using sophistication of ice-coring and trapped-gas chemistry this, and isotope that ... those efforts are reanalyzing past climate change events that were not triggered by that which has ever happened before - to me that gets dubious quickly.  So in that same vein/philosophy  ..  we're trying to use seasonal snow behavior from .proverbial .. 1948 datasets ?  heh 

I may also have a personal bias in the cause-and-effect-relationship observation.  In the last 30 years, we are hockey-sticking climate change, ...decimals or not.  And in that time, we are seeing suddenly some 60 to 70% of Octobers with at least a chance for synoptic snow and a cornucopia of global outrage for enter alarming observation here [    ]. 

I think we can use climate of course...but I have that caveat emptor and asterisk sort of in play when I do -

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

All trees and shrubs 50 percent off this weekend at Home Depot. Picked up some nice looming holly bushes and some dirt cheap ornamental grasses.

I used to love those sales. Unfortunately most of the stuff they sell at HD and Lowes up here is not hardy in this area which I always find baffling

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, I noticed that too even down here. I will look at a tag and it says "hardy to 0F"...lol.

Jeez that’s not really gonna cut it for a chunk of SNE either. Most years go below zero once you’re just a bit off the water in MA and even a lot of CT/RI.