Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You will have a 6 month adjustment 

Yeah I’ve been feeling the anxiety for weeks....just allowing it to happen....a good winter will be helpful!   Summer of 2020 was stolen from me and if I’m lucky enough to make it to summers in the future that won’t happen again!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, binbisso said:

@dryslot. My youngest daughter is entering college next fall. She likes bowdoin college in Brunswick ME. What's your opinion and the general opinion of this school? Also of any other posters have any knowledge of the school I would greatly appreciate it thanks

It is one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country. Brunswick is a very nice community. Not much more to say. If their curriculum is what she's interested in, can't go wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

What I’ve done going forward-retiring with my last day Wednesday the 30th- is to manage risk.  So to avoid all the hassle of schlepping, I opted out of face to face care in my retirement gig.   Spoke to the authorities there and was asked “are you ok working remotely but only 1 day a week?”.   Am I ok?   I’m fukking ecstatic!  One of my assignments is to develop remote care options-something I’ve provided for millions in the system I’m retiring from nationally for the past 16 years.   A lot of people want my services so I need to be careful-time is what I’m looking most forward to-that and euro pbp in mid winter in the middle of the night...lol.

Congrats man.  You earned it.  

10 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Bowdoin is an excellent school.  Beautiful campus.  Good connections with Bates and Colby

The CBB trio.  Anyone looking to attend one of those excellent schools should be diligent in seeking scholarship money.  Like many well-regarded liberal arts colleges, full ticket (room/board/tuition) is frighteningly costly but there's a lot of financial help available.  (I have no dog in the fight but my sentiment would be with Bowdoin, if only because the Bowdoin Pines east of the campus make up one of the most magnificent pine stands I've seen.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

The CBB trio.  Anyone looking to attend one of those excellent schools should be diligent in seeking scholarship money.  Like many well-regarded liberal arts colleges, full ticket (room/board/tuition) is frighteningly costly but there's a lot of financial help available.  (I have no dog in the fight but my sentiment would be with Bowdoin, if only because the Bowdoin Pines east of the campus make up one of the most magnificent pine stands I've seen.)

My wife (Bates '08) has different thoughts about Bowdoin. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Angus said:

It is one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country. Brunswick is a very nice community. Not much more to say. If their curriculum is what she's interested in, can't go wrong.

Thanks. Looks like we will be making a road trip there. My daughter wants to go now. I want to go when there's snow in the forecast.

On 9/26/2020 at 2:50 PM, binbisso said:

@dryslot. My youngest daughter is entering college next fall. She likes bowdoin college in Brunswick ME. What's your opinion and the general opinion of this school? Also of any other posters have any knowledge of the school I would greatly appreciate it thanks

Bowdoin is a great liberal arts college, Its right up there with Bates in Lewiston and Colby in Waterville, The Bruns/Bath areas are nearby to the ocean with some great scenic islands as well and about 30 mins from Portland.

15 hours ago, tamarack said:

I believe all three schools are need based only financial aid. @tamarack those pines are magnificent but I thought you would prefer Colby based upon the arboretum. One hundred twenty-eight acres of Colby’s 714-acre campus are designated as the Perkins Arboretum and Bird Sanctuary. 

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Bowdoin is a great liberal arts college, Its right up there with Bates in Lewiston and Colby in Waterville, The Bruns/Bath areas are nearby to the ocean with some great scenic islands as well and about 30 mins from Portland.

I think reputation wise bowdoin is kind of like a “little ivy” similar to Amherst.   Great colleges in Maine!

• Like 1

Brunswick is by far the nicest of the towns - Lewiston, Waterville and Brunswick. Colby sits above the city on a hill but is in the process of investing $$ in the downtown and actively trying to recruit cos. to revitalize the town. The Colby art museum is something to behold. I'm not an 'art' person but if you are up there, I'd budget 3-4 hours to walk through. If you are an art person, plan to incorporate a day in Rockland too.

Going back 40 years, I visited Colby and Bowdoin on back to back days in early January. Waterville had received something like 12-18" fresh while Brunswick had gotten slop due to proximity to coast. Bowdoin definitely has the highest rating of the three schools but they are all elite.

My daughter looked at Colby last year due to some family connections. She came away surprisingly impressed with curriculum and the school in general. I've had a bunch of friend's children start at Colby the last couple of years and they all like it very much. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 1:26 AM, natedizel said:

What we need is some sort of better rapid swab test. Results in minute or something. All bars and concerts could open up and go on. You positive you cant enter. It would be like a bag check/metal detector line.

I don't post anymore on this stuff since the MPM thread was shut down. I figured what was the point.

But, a rapid antigen test that's specific would be what we need to end this mess.

I started looking into the PCR test a little more back in June. I was appalled to find out positives were being called at cycle number <40 (or <37 depending on the lab). I've used real time RT-PCR (or Taqman PCR) since 1997. We always discounted mRNA levels if the Ct value popped above 34-35. Not enough mRNA to make protein at any significant level. Several studies have been done that correlate Ct value with actual viral transfection assays, which is the gold standard. Ct values above 33-34 show no infectious viral particles are present. Yet the cut off still remains absurdly high. 

I'd love to see the Ct values that come back from these so called cluster events like on a swim team or frat house party. Chances are one kid actually had the sniffles for covid and the rest popped "positive" because they picked up some free mRNA or a few virus particles that their innate immune system took care of. You could find the same amount of mRNA in the entire household from flu A if someone in your house was positive by an antigen test for flu. They don't test for flu with PCR, and they shouldn't with this. Its too sensitive. The test itself is fine, but the interpretation needs to be adjusted to what's called positive.

I'm still not sure why no one has come out with a good rapid test. It takes 9-12 months to make a good, specific monoclonal antibody that's suitable for a rapid test, so hopefully that's not too far off. If they keep using PCR and calling "positives" at Ct values of <40, some places will stay locked down for ever since small amounts of mRNA will hang around for months.

• Like 2

Would anyone happen to know where CDC is hiding the PNA/NAO/WPO/EPO product suite ?

You go here,  "https://psl.noaa.gov/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/ "

And you are greeted with this, " Note: As of 23 September 2020, the Global Ensemble Forecast System has been upgraded to a much improved version 12, and this page is now obsolete. New reforecasts are available via Amazon Web Services for free download, at https://noaa-gefs-retrospective.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html,
and you are directed there for data access...." 

But that link is an endless maze that frankly doesn't appear as though any engineering effort really had user accessibility in mind..   Am I simply overlooking - or... I am toying with the notion - either way - that this is just another example of bleed-over incompetence from the cultural influence of a kakistocratic government apparatus that swept in upon the election 2016, which began stripping institutions of wherewithal. Consequently, there are less professionals there that either care, or, know what the f* they are doing - 

10 hours ago, Angus said:

I believe all three schools are need based only financial aid. @tamarack those pines are magnificent but I thought you would prefer Colby based upon the arboretum. One hundred twenty-eight acres of Colby’s 714-acre campus are designated as the Perkins Arboretum and Bird Sanctuary. 

My preference goes to the Fay Hyland Arboretum spread throughout and nearby to the U. Maine campus.  :) 

• Like 2