Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I'm firmly in the camp of I just don't want to get it. So I wear a mask and we haven't been hanging out with anyone except for our parents. My job is already taking a toll on my long term health, so I would rather not mess with additional long term impacts. Most of what I've seen on these numbers is smaller populations, like the Penn State student-athlete testing showing roughly a third of the COVID cases still had heart inflammation months later. 

Well if we do some back of the envelope math on this for just 70+: that's roughly 28 million people in the US, at 5% mortality and 60% infection rate for herd immunity/just opening back up that's nearly 1 million people dead. Again, I'd rather not. Show me a plan beyond "we're over it" (i.e. mask mandate and rapid test everyone). 

The Penn state stuff was debunked

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think we are leaning towards a test anyway once she can get home.  But primary care and her General Manager guidance was to watch for fever.  It’s really the first instance of trying to delineate between normal cold and COVID.  I know at the ski area the fear here is getting into a practice where everyone with a runny nose needs to go home and get tested.  It’s really tough to think about managing a couple dozen people and knowing when the right time to pull the trigger is.  I think that’s why they look for fever?  When my sister and her fiancé had it, they were firmly in the fever camp...101-102 for a week.

Rapid testing is key.

seems almost everyone loses sense of smell

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The Penn state stuff was debunked

Even so, I'm not in favor of winging it and figuring out what the long term ramifications are later. Rather than continue down the COVID rabbit hole, all I'll say is there is zero reason why we shouldn't given widespread testing and tracing a go before full scale reopening.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I'm firmly in the camp of I just don't want to get it. So I wear a mask and we haven't been hanging out with anyone except for our parents. My job is already taking a toll on my long term health, so I would rather not mess with additional long term impacts. Most of what I've seen on these numbers is smaller populations, like the Penn State student-athlete testing showing roughly a third of the COVID cases still had heart inflammation months later. 

Well if we do some back of the envelope math on this for just 70+: that's roughly 28 million people in the US, at 5% mortality and 60% infection rate for herd immunity/just opening back up that's nearly 1 million people dead. Again, I'd rather not. Show me a plan beyond "we're over it" (i.e. mask mandate and rapid test everyone). 

working the graveyard shift getting tough?

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Even so, I'm not in favor of winging it and figuring out what the long term ramifications are later. Rather than continue down the COVID rabbit hole, all I'll say is there is zero reason why we shouldn't given widespread testing and tracing a go before full scale reopening.

What more can we do though? I feel like New England has been pretty good about testing and contact tracing, and the reopening for most places around here has been painfully slow/ non existent.

I mean ultimately nobody is forcing anyone to go out to bars or crowded places. If someone chooses not to do that, totally fine, but if some people want to try to get back to some sense of normalcy, I think that’s fine too, if all reasonable precautions are taken.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How does that work for you guys?

We have a 9 week rotation, where each week is a different shift. Leads rotate backwards, so we do evenings, days, midnights. 

It's that midnight shock that kills me. Basically pull an all nighter to start, and then just as you're getting adjusted to that sleep pattern you are shocked back into a more normal day. Though now that I have a kid at home the evenings are tough too. Don't get home until 12:30 and if I'm lucky asleep by 1, and then I have to get up with him in the morning so my wife can work. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What more can we do though? I feel like New England has been pretty good about testing and contact tracing, and the reopening for most places around here has been painfully slow/ non existent.

I mean ultimately nobody is forcing anyone to go out to bars or crowded places. If someone chooses not to do that, totally fine, but if some people want to try to get back to some sense of normalcy, I think that’s fine too, if all reasonable precautions are taken.

I don't think we've been bad but everyone I've talked to locally that has had a test done is taking days to a week+ to get results back. And some of our better results could be because the reopening has been slow. 

The big caveat is precautions, if those are truly being taken there can be success. I think the Maine wedding is a really instructive example. A couple has their wedding, and whether it was intentionally blurring the lines on state guidelines or truly confusing the regs I don't know,  somebody was sick and spread it. Through secondary and tertiary infections that spread to a jail, a church, a long term care facility, and likely into the York County school system. Seven people died that didn't go to the wedding.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Really?  Around here it seems that masks have become like washing your hands.  Just something you do, like a good habit.  Like it's second nature, you can see how it happened in the Asian countries.  You do it for a while and it's just part of you when you go out... like putting pants on.  Not out of fear anymore than using hand sanitizer every time you get in your car, just a good safe practice when in public.

10-15% of pedestrians were wearing masks when we visited our son/D-I-L in Japan (southern Honshu) in March 2016.  Between that and Japanese culture, I highly doubt there was much anti-mask unrest there. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its par for the course, news headlines, people quote it, its debunked people still quote it because the debunk is buried. 

One thing I loved about the old MPM thread was people on here were very good at ferreting out the good data from the garbagio.   It was to me the best source to get studies etc.     ah well

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It was a little concerning when I flew down to LA for Laura as it was my first time flying since the pandemic started. There was little mask wearing down south where I was, but I wore my mask and sanitized and when I returned did my two week quarantine. 

I also got a rapid test afterward to make sure I wasn’t asymptomatic. It was my third corona test but by far the easiest. I was good to go in 25-30 minutes. 

Rapid testing would go a long way in helping us identify spread as we try to stabilize and then fully reopen. 

I want that.  We decided to get my wife tested tomorrow.  She can’t work until the results come back and they said likely by Tuesday sometime. 4 days to find out up here.  She truly just feels like a head cold, nothing in the chest (ha, in another context that sounds bad to say about the wife).  But everyone looks at you side eyed if you have the sniffles and voice sounds stuffy, so we are just going to do it despite the PCP saying it’s not a requirement and up to her.

Going to be a long winter for head colds if that’s what it is.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I want that.  We decided to get my wife tested tomorrow.  She can’t work until the results come back and they said likely by Tuesday sometime. 4 days to find out up here.  She truly just feels like a head cold, nothing in the chest (ha, in another context that sounds bad to say about the wife).  But everyone looks at you side eyed if you have the sniffles and voice sounds stuffy, so we are just going to do it despite the PCP saying it’s not a requirement and up to her.

I murder picked my big Italian nose trying to get a boog out and got a bad head cold a few days later.....was tested on the cape and had my results in half an hour (negative). Depends on where you go.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What we need is some sort of better rapid swab test. Results in minute or something. All bars and concerts could open up and go on. You positive you cant enter. It would be like a bag check/metal detector line.

• Like 1

I work at a college. I’ve now been tested a dozen times since early August... once a week... and even twice a few times.

The results are usually turned around in 12-18 hours... never longer than 24.

The entire campus community is being tested at least once a week, pumping out north of 3500 tests a week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whineminster said:

I murder picked my big Italian nose trying to get a boog out and got a bad head cold a few days later.....was tested on the cape and had my results in half an hour (negative). Depends on where you go.  

Thank goodness for the test result. On another note at my age, heritage and regarding the source of your common cold infection, it’s the only part of my carcass, where I can accurately, if not proudly, say mine is bigger than yours. As always 

7 hours ago, natedizel said:

What we need is some sort of better rapid swab test. Results in minute or something. All bars and concerts could open up and go on. You positive you cant enter. It would be like a bag check/metal detector line.

You still wouldn't want long lines or crowds of people waiting to get into a club or concert because that is a recipe for easy spread.

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I work at a college. I’ve now been tested a dozen times since early August... once a week... and even twice a few times.

The results are usually turned around in 12-18 hours... never longer than 24.

The entire campus community is being tested at least once a week, pumping out north of 3500 tests a week.

That’s great but the problem is that type/amount of testing is rare in the private sector. My company hasn’t tested anyone upon our return. We’re at 50% capacity, I believe, on a rotational basis with just masks and social distancing guidelines. When asked why were weren’t being tested once a week, they didn’t have an answer besides stating that testing isn’t perfect. But somehow signing a sheet upon arrival every morning that you feel healthy is? This goes back to America not being on the same page. We don’t have a cohesive plan...practically kicking the proverbial covid can down the road as we see fit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You still wouldn't want long lines or crowds of people waiting to get into a club or concert because that is a recipe for easy spread.

Well it wouldn't really be that more crowded then a supermarket line. 30 second test then next person

On 9/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, PhineasC said:

In order to determine the rates and severity of these long term effects, we need to follow survivors for 5-20 years after recovery and also control for the many other factors that could be causing their lingering issues (such as existing lung tissue scarring from smoking). There is no way to be speaking definitively on long term effects right now. It's just not possible.

True.  But we now know that some people are long termers n the effect and it’s nearly impossible at this point to decide who.   The best bet is to use common sense and so many 18-30 year olds don’t.

What I’ve done going forward-retiring with my last day Wednesday the 30th- is to manage risk.  So to avoid all the hassle of schlepping, I opted out of face to face care in my retirement gig.   Spoke to the authorities there and was asked “are you ok working remotely but only 1 day a week?”.   Am I ok?   I’m fukking ecstatic!  One of my assignments is to develop remote care options-something I’ve provided for millions in the system I’m retiring from nationally for the past 16 years.   A lot of people want my services so I need to be careful-time is what I’m looking most forward to-that and euro pbp in mid winter in the middle of the night...lol.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What I’ve done going forward-retiring with my last day Wednesday the 30th- is to manage risk.  So to avoid all the hassle of schlepping, I opted out of face to face care in my retirement gig.   Spoke to the authorities there and was asked “are you ok working remotely but only 1 day a week?”.   Am I ok?   I’m fukking ecstatic!  One of my assignments is to develop remote care options-something I’ve provided for millions in the system I’m retiring from nationally for the past 16 years.   A lot of people want my services so I need to be careful-time is what I’m looking most forward to-that and euro pbp in mid winter in the middle of the night...lol.

So so happy for you Jer. You deserve everything this life offers. Chill, enjoy, its always 5 O'clock somewhere now.  I will PBP with you all winter, best part is the power nap whenever you want. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So so happy for you Jer. You deserve everything this life offers. Chill, enjoy, its always 5 O'clock somewhere now.  I will PBP with you all winter, best part is the power nap whenever you want. 

Thanks Steve!  Kinda surreal now....after looking forward to this day for decades it’s here!

• Like 6