Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I didn't think it had anything to do with moral superiority... and I'm not saying there isn't a lot of money at stake... but it's basic anthropology that the more advanced and prosperous a society gets the longer their population lives and in return the more unacceptable early death becomes.  Since the dawn of time people have been trying methods to get themselves and others to live as long as possible... from witch doctors and potions, to the magic elixirs and fountains of youth.  Humans have always had the desire to prolong life as long as possible.  As one of the most prosperous/advanced countries in the world, early death is much more unacceptable here than it is in say West Africa.

We are really in the "banter" zone but I find this stuff interesting to ponder.

Oh. I didn’t think you were hinting at superior morality. This is simply my theory/opinion given the current state of affairs. While it is in our nature to prolong our lives and keep ourselves as young for as long as possible (as you say, what humans have done for centuries)...the motive, thesedays, is more about the money then at any other point in human history. There is too much cash at stake to cure this disease or reduce the impact of that disease, the first to a covid vaccine, etc. 

A family member works for a big consulting firm who consulted a big pharma corp with how to market opiates. They knew the danger of addiction and death but it was all about the bottom line. That’s just one example and maybe that has skewed my opinion but I’ve read more reports/articles indicating how the medical industry is a profit machine first and foremost. The well-being of society is secondary, sadly.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Purely curious, in those comparisons is there a modifier that accounts for change in health care, living conditions, etc?  I could certainly see past pandemics hitting those groups harder.

Have people been claiming this one was worse in those age groups?

The flu is much deadlier for kids than COVID. Stats show this. 

• Like 1

A couple of weeks old, but there is a theory (not a study) that mask wearing may act as a quasi-vaccine.    Interesting 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200909/could-your-mask-be-a-kind-of-vaccine-against-covid-19

Similar articles abound. 
original NEJM article. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

The table below shows confirmed cases of COVID-19 reinfection. The first confirmed case of reinfection was reported in Hong Kong on August 24, and six others were reported later that week. Earlier cases of suspected reinfection could not be confirmed due to a lack of data.

People with SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, may continue to test positive for several months without being sick or infectious. A reinfection is confirmed when testing shows each virus’ genetic makeup is different to a degree which cannot be explained through in-vivo evolution.

For a timeline with detailed information about each case, scroll down.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Pretty depressing article.

Sounds like if a certain set of scenarios play out we could be in big trouble... vaccine or not.

Some positive pieces of info too, like certain populations potentially having longer lasting antibodies (and hopefully immunity).  Of course I'm not sure how you figure out who is going to have longer immunity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beauty, how far up river are you?

I'm a mile north of Rt. 1

12 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

So new house is Pit 1 and Maine is still Pit 2? Love to wake up to that scene every morning.

My primary house will always be Pit1.  Between being up here this week and envy over Jerry's impending retirement, I am so eager to get up her permanently and rename this one Pit1. Not for a few years yet....though I do buy my lottery tickets, so who knows.

Hiked Mount Washington yesterday via Tuckerman's route, at elevation there is some serious leaf colors. Unfortunately, the summit was in the clouds.

On the summit cone came across some guy who I initially thought had fallen and hurt himself. He was just disoriented in the clouds. Got him back on track and stayed with to the summit parking lot. 

• Like 4

In order to determine the rates and severity of these long term effects, we need to follow survivors for 5-20 years after recovery and also control for the many other factors that could be causing their lingering issues (such as existing lung tissue scarring from smoking). There is no way to be speaking definitively on long term effects right now. It's just not possible.

• Like 1