Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It all depends on if you have adjustable bindings or not. I believe the majority of bindings these days are adjustable and all you would really need is a screwdriver and some confidence in what tension settings you want.

Skis are about 10 years old..: so I’ll have to see what they look like when I get home.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

As a casual skier, would I be able to buy new boots and fit them to my skis accordingly? Like if I buy boots for my shoe size online, is it easy enough to change the bindings on the skis?

Ill take them somewhere if I have to, but only skiing a few times a year at most, I’d like to do it myself and save some money 

Yeah you can do it yourself if you feel confident, but if your skis and bindings are older I would highly recommend taking it to a shop to get the bindings fitted and tested.  Like I’d run mine through a machine to test the release values of the toe and heal to make sure the bindings release properly and that’s standard in the industry.

You’d be surprised how many bindings fail after several years...but again it’s all on the consumer and what they want to do.  If you want to save $30 also factor in the cost of blowing out your knee/ACL or breaking your leg if the binding pre-releases too early, or it doesn’t release under torque when it should.

Ski resorts see it all the time, Dad tried to adjust the bindings for each kid but didn’t nail it and now Little Timmy is in crutches because Dad forgot to adjust the DIN and the skis didn’t release...and it turns out the bindings were cranked so much they wouldn’t have come off Timmy’s feet even if he got hit by a bus.

Another suggestion I’d have is never buy ski boots without trying them on.  If you try them on somewhere and know it fits then buy it online cheaper, sure, but I personally would never just buy a pair without putting them on my foot.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Where did you get that pole? I want to set mine up.

The bottom third, that the main unit is attached to is a galvanized steel pipe. The anemometer is attached to an aluminum pole that is used for a roof rake. Since it doesn't snow anymore, I figured the pole would get better use holding an anemometer...

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah you can do it yourself if you feel confident, but if your skis and bindings are older I would highly recommend taking it to a shop to get the bindings fitted and tested.  Like I’d run mine through a machine to test the release values of the toe and heal to make sure the bindings release properly and that’s standard in the industry.

You’d be surprised how many bindings fail after several years...but again it’s all on the consumer and what they want to do.  If you want to save $30 also factor in the cost of blowing out your knee/ACL or breaking your leg if the binding pre-releases too early, or it doesn’t release under torque when it should.

Ski resorts see it all the time, Dad tried to adjust the bindings for each kid but didn’t nail it and now Little Timmy is in crutches because Dad forgot to adjust the DIN and the skis didn’t release...and it turns out the bindings were cranked so much they wouldn’t have come off Timmy’s feet even if he got hit by a bus.

Another suggestion I’d have is never buy ski boots without trying them on.  If you try them on somewhere and know it fits then buy it online cheaper, sure, but I personally would never just buy a pair without putting them on my foot.  

Thanks... I’m not really opposed to trading in all my stuff either and getting newer (probably used) stuff. Will I get anything for 10+ year old equipment? And what can a used set of stuff cost me? Roughly 

On 9/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, Spanks45 said:

Finally got the Davis setup, temporarily at least until I get the garden built and the anemometer on top of the house....

20200920_175832.jpg

No wonder you radiate so well. Can just tell from that pic you’re in a low lying area relative to your surroundings, with a field on either side . I’d bet there’s higher hills on either side . It  almost looks like an old pumpkin patch by that straw grass . You’ll radiate extremely well , but will be upset when the hills around you are snowing and you’re not 

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No wonder you radiate so well. Can just tell from that pic you’re in a low lying area relative to your surroundings, with a field on either side . I’d bet there’s higher hills on either side . It  almost looks like an old pumpkin patch by that straw grass . You’ll radiate extremely well , but will be upset when the hills around you are snowing and you’re not 

lol, looks like he’s 200ft surrounded by 400-500ft hills.  I’m sure he’ll be fine.  Probably gets some nice natural A/C in the summer nights.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

@powderfreak  

so these are my skis... not sure if you can tell... but could these accommodate a bigger boot? Or be adjusted at all?

FCDD676F-6077-4DC2-8142-2E0E66CC7881.jpeg

CDBBE92E-0281-4DA9-8314-72621C6C5E8E.jpeg

I’m sure they can be adjusted but honestly, I’m pretty sure those bindings would be on the indemnified list...meaning no shop will adjust them.  Every binding manufacture puts out a list of binding models each year that are indemnified and insurance companies of shops/ski areas won’t touch those for liability issues.  Shops typically take it very seriously.  You can certainly still make the choice to ski them, but no one will work on them (ie adjust them for you).  It may be time for new equipment.

Look at fall ski swaps (though who knows how those happen in COVID times) for used equipment, or I bet there are still a decent amount of places sitting on used demo equipment from last year that they couldn’t unload at the end of last winter because of COVID closures during that normal sale time in the late spring.  For example at Stowe you often can get used demo skis for $150-$250 with bindings... when that gear new is like $700+ set ups.

Here’s a quick run down on indemnified bindings:

Each season the ski industry releases a list of “indemnified bindings” by manufacturers. This means there are actually bindings each year that, according to the manufacturers, cannot be skied anymore due to safety issues.  Bindings simply wear out.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m sure they can be adjusted but honestly, I’m pretty sure those bindings would be on the indemnified list...meaning no shop will adjust them.  Every binding manufacture puts out a list of binding models each year that are indemnified and insurance companies of shops/ski areas won’t touch those for liability issues.  Shops typically take it very seriously.  You can certainly still make the choice to ski them, but no one will work on them (ie adjust them for you).  It may be time for new equipment.

Look at fall ski swaps (though who knows how those happen in COVID times) for used equipment, or I bet there are still a decent amount of places sitting on used demo equipment from last year that they couldn’t unload at the end of last winter because of COVID closures during that normal sale time in the late spring.  For example at Stowe you often can get used demo skis for $150-$250 with bindings... when that gear new is like $700+ set ups.

Here’s a quick run down on indemnified bindings:

Each season the ski industry releases a list of “indemnified bindings” by manufacturers. This means there are actually bindings each year that, according to the manufacturers, cannot be skied anymore due to safety issues.  Bindings simply wear out.

Thanks for the honesty.... so basically the skis are useless with bindings that can’t be worked on..... I’ll have to shop around.

Im skeptical of ski swaps happening like you mentioned, so I guess I’ll have to shop around.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol, looks like he’s 200ft surrounded by 400-500ft hills.  I’m sure he’ll be fine.  Probably gets some nice natural A/C in the summer nights.

Great views from my house as it sits at the high point of the "valley". I don't think those hills will effect much, might end up staying under 32 in freezing rain events though. The breezes are great, so much better than our last place, surrounded by trees, never had any breezes, always felt stagnant.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Those babies look perfect to pair with this look:

326ef323fbc5ae74fc0127d747072ac0.jpg

Those Tblizz skis do look like the skinny 210s I remember from high school in the late 90s.

Growing up my friends dad was a sales rep for Nevica ski gear in the 80s. His basement was literally filled wall to wall with merchandise on racks---it would practically blind you when you went down there...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Those Tblizz skis do look like the skinny 210s I remember from high school in the late 90s.

Growing up my friends dad was a sales rep for Nevica ski gear in the 80s. His basement was literally filled wall to wall with merchandise on racks---it would practically blind you when you went down there...lol

Yes, I rocked a pair of dinged-up white skinny skis back then. And crappy used mismatched boots. I definitely grew up hobo skiing.

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/atomic-punx-five-skis-look-nx-10-bindings

thinking about splurging for these.... last years model seems like 

My advice to someone only skiing a couple times a year is to spend all your equipment budget on a pair of ski boots fit to your feet properly.  Most bootfitters will be able to set you up properly and adjustments to tweak the fit are generally complimentary. You can’t just buy a random pair of boots in your street shoe size.  Ski boots don’t fit like street shoes.  They should fit like a cast you might wear if you broke your whole foot so that any movement in your foot or lower leg will transfer to your ski properly.  Personally my ski boots are two full sizes smaller than my street shoe.  I have my bootfitter make them bigger via heating punching the plastic etc where the hot spots are.  Boots do not wear out fast.  My ski boots have easily 400-500 ski days on them.  Once they fit perfect you don’t want to switch because they become such an important part of your equipment.  You dont want used boots that have fit the form of someone else’s foot.  Your foot will be all sloppy in there.  You can rent/demo skis and figure out what you like in skis.  Or just rent the latest thing in skis each year.  Truth be told, most serious skiers have a quiver of skis because different conditions call for different skis....powder, ice, crud etc call for different skis.  When you rent demos the shop can set you up with the right ski for the location and conditions that day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

My advice to someone only skiing a couple times a year is to spend all your equipment budget on a pair of ski boots fit to your feet properly.  Most bootfitters will be able to set you up properly and adjustments to tweak the fit are generally complimentary. You can’t just buy a random pair of boots in your street shoe size.  Ski boots don’t fit like street shoes.  They should fit like a cast you might wear if you broke your whole foot so that any movement in your foot or lower leg will transfer to your ski properly.  Personally my ski boots are two full sizes smaller than my street shoe.  I have my bootfitter make them bigger via heating punching the plastic etc where the hot spots are.  Boots do not wear out fast.  My ski boots have easily 400-500 ski days on them.  Once they fit perfect you don’t want to switch because they become such an important part of your equipment.  You dont want used boots that have fit the form of someone else’s foot.  Your foot will be all sloppy in there.  You can rent/demo skis and figure out what you like in skis.  Or just rent the latest thing in skis each year.  Truth be told, most serious skiers have a quiver of skis because different conditions call for different skis....powder, ice, crud etc call for different skis.  When you rent demos the shop can set you up with the right ski for the location and conditions that day.

Ditto this. I've only ever been on a board my whole life but managed a ski/snowboard shop for 5 years before getting out of retail. I would really push the customers to budget out most of there money on boots first whether on skis or a board. You could have the best skis and bindings on the market but if your boots suck you're going to have a bad time.  Although I got to say 400-500 days on those boots!? I hope you changed out the toe and heel lugs man those wear down and cause bindings to not release properly. Snowboard boots are 100 days max in my experience but they also aren't made up of hard plastic. Damn I can't wait for the season to get here....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Ditto this. I've only ever been on a board my whole life but managed a ski/snowboard shop for 5 years before getting out of retail. I would really push the customers to budget out most of there money on boots first whether on skis or a board. You could have the best skis and bindings on the market but if your boots suck you're going to have a bad time.  Although I got to say 400-500 days on those boots!? I hope you changed out the toe and heel lugs man those wear down and cause bindings to not release properly. Snowboard boots are 100 days max in my experience but they also aren't made up of hard plastic. Damn I can't wait for the season to get here....

Blue Lange 110SC’s, so no changing out the toe and heel in those suckers.  They are pretty thin.  I have the same exact boot with about 50 days on them but which are not quite as perfect as the old ones.  I cheat and have bindings mounted with those.  That’s more of a “do as I say not as I do” sort of thing. So far so good with no pre-releases.  They come off when they should.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

I had the same boots for 7 years, just changed out the heel. I saw what happens when a heel fails. My bud tore his ACL in a nasty crash.

9 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I rocked the 204cm K2 Extremes along with a pair of 190cm Rossi 7s back in the 90s.

• Like 1

Chelsea Soldier's Home resident tests positive for Covid a 2nd time after recovering in May.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/09/21/resident-of-chelsea-soldiers-home-tests-positive-for-a-2nd-time

“A veteran resident of the Soldiers’ Home in Chelsea who was clinically recovered from COVID-19 as per CDC guidance again experienced COVID-related symptoms and was transferred to Cambridge Health Alliance for treatment and tested positive,” according to a statement from the state Executive Office of Health and Human Services, which oversees the facility.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Chelsea Soldier's Home resident tests positive for Covid a 2nd time after recovering in May.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/09/21/resident-of-chelsea-soldiers-home-tests-positive-for-a-2nd-time

Seems like when these stories come up it later turns out they either had a false positive with the first test, or the second test is detecting old leftover bits of the virus instead of an active infection. But having only 5-6 months of somewhat weak immunity (especially in the older, vulnerable crowd) lines up with some of the more pessimistic views of the effectiveness of the vaccines. The jury is still out on this since we lack long-term data, obviously.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, PhineasC said:

And @Ji still bitched and whined that winter ended in the middle of February after receiving 80 inches of snow.

well we mostly wasted January and then after our Feb 10 blizzard....everyone else around us was getting snow except for us. Its like winning a baseball game 15-1 but 13 of your runs come in 1 inning!

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Seems like when these stories come up it later turns out they either had a false positive with the first test, or the second test is detecting old leftover bits of the virus instead of an active infection. But having only 5-6 months of somewhat weak immunity (especially in the older, vulnerable crowd) lines up with some of the more pessimistic views of the effectiveness of the vaccines. The jury is still out on this since we lack long-term data, obviously.

Every day that goes by we're entering uncharted territory for re-infections.  I would not doubt the validity of the claim though. 

Every day that goes by we're entering uncharted territory for re-infections.  I would not doubt the validity of the claim though. 
There have only been two documented reinfections, maybe this is a third. Of the millions of infections, these reinfections don't even move the needle. Time will tell though, but I think we would have heard of more cases if it were a big problem.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
8 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There have only been two documented reinfections, maybe this is a third. Of the millions of infections, these reinfections don't even move the needle. Time will tell though, but I think we would have heard of more cases if it were a big problem.

Yeah    The two others were confirmed RE infections via genetic analysis or something.