Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, Fozz said:

Yeah, I am doubtful about 55" depth unless it's a drift. Even for the 1000' areas of Carroll county.

It gets exponentially harder to add depth...it really seems to hit a wall in the 35” range. It’s why basically every epic winter for me has had a max snow depth pretty close to each other:

41” 1996

46” 2001

39” 2003

39” 2011

44” 2015

And I’m not even 100% convinced of the March 2001 measurement. It was def over 40” but that snow was so crazy and everyone was going nuts trying to move it that I cannot be 100% sure it wasn’t a contaminated measurement. I did a lot of different spots and tried to get the best number but I was never totally confident in it like I was later on when I became way more meticulous. 

Bottom line is that it’s really hard to get a true 50” level depth. Not saying it can’t happen or didn’t happen in MD that winter, but I’d always be skeptical as a starting position. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It gets exponentially harder to add depth...it really seems to hit a wall in the 35” range. It’s why basically every epic winter for me has had a max snow depth pretty close to each other:

41” 1996

46” 2001

39” 2003

39” 2011

44” 2015

And I’m not even 100% convinced of the March 2001 measurement. It was def over 40” but that snow was so crazy and everyone was going nuts trying to move it that I cannot be 100% sure it wasn’t a contaminated measurement. I did a lot of different spots and tried to get the best number but I was never totally confident in it like I was later on when I became way more meticulous. 

Bottom line is that it’s really hard to get a true 50” level depth. Not saying it can’t happen or didn’t happen in MD that winter, but I’d always be skeptical as a starting position. 

Yeah 35-37" was right around what my depth was after receiving 45" from the two storms. BWI had similar totals, and they too had that depth. I guess at some point the compression of the snowpack becomes too hard to avoid.

Even that crazy Buffalo LES storm in Christmas 2001, which was known to have "7 feet of snow" (81.5" to be exact), never had anywhere near that depth, though to be fair LES is a bit "fake". Their max depth was 44", which wasn't much different from the jackpot areas of MD in Feb 2010.

14 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea l, agree. I found the post a few years back, I don't know where it is now, but I remember the person mentioning it wasn't a drift and it was "on the level" or something like that.  

We have no idea how to measure that much snow. Anyone in MD claiming they do is full of shit. Even on Parr's ridge.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

One of my favorite events was the event a few days before snowmageddon (I think that’s what you guys called 2/5-6/10)....the event I’m thinking of I think was 1/30/10...and you all were fighting with southern VA and NC weenies. It was like a classic SWFE (overrunning event) except displaced 200 miles south and I was thinking “those NC weenies are gonna feel just like mid-Atlantic weenies during overrunning events....classic trend north in the final 24-48 hours” and I went in there posting about how MD and DC would get smoked while they’d prob mix with sleet and rain down in NC. It was like forecasting for SNE the previous 2 winters where NYC weenies kept getting duped...except MD was SNE this time and NC/S VA was NYC. Turned out perfect too, I think I recall you and Marcus getting like 7-8” of fluff when the models were barely giving you an inch 36 hours earlier. 

I totally missed this before I made my post, oh well. :) 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

One of my favorite events was the event a few days before snowmageddon (I think that’s what you guys called 2/5-6/10)....the event I’m thinking of I think was 1/30/10...and you all were fighting with southern VA and NC weenies. It was like a classic SWFE (overrunning event) except displaced 200 miles south and I was thinking “those NC weenies are gonna feel just like mid-Atlantic weenies during overrunning events....classic trend north in the final 24-48 hours” and I went in there posting about how MD and DC would get smoked while they’d prob mix with sleet and rain down in NC. It was like forecasting for SNE the previous 2 winters where NYC weenies kept getting duped...except MD was SNE this time and NC/S VA was NYC. Turned out perfect too, I think I recall you and Marcus getting like 7-8” of fluff when the models were barely giving you an inch 36 hours earlier. 

Marcus was too far north to get much on 1/30/2010. But the closer burbs of Baltimore did great. 4-7".

And after that there was yet another moderate storm just a few days before the big one. A quick 3-6" of wet snow on Feb 3 or 4. Hardly anyone paid much attention to it considering what was to come, but it was another nice appetizer. And then the rest was history.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That had to be a drift. We didn’t even have 55” in March 2001 in ORH county though some places did get close. 

I definitely believe 45” though. I mean some places did get 60”+ in those 2 weeks. But you’d probably need like 100” over the same period to reach a 55” depth. 

I remember Marcus's pool 48 inch overtopped on level. I couldn't believe that pic

10 hours ago, Fozz said:

Marcus was too far north to get much on 1/30/2010. But the closer burbs of Baltimore did great. 4-7".

And after that there was yet another moderate storm just a few days before the big one. A quick 3-6" of wet snow on Feb 3 or 4. Hardly anyone paid much attention to it considering what was to come, but it was another nice appetizer. And then the rest was history.

Maybe it was the dude in Westminster with an avatar of Dorothy from Wizard of Oz who I was thinking of. He had like 7" or something.

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There is no doubt we have a sickness for this stuff....

Yeah, before Alex moved up there a few years ago we had nobody right in the whites. Now with Phin we have two....and since Phin is also in a real weenie spot but for somewhat different reasons than Alex, it’s really fun to scrutinize the differences and then wait for their obs in the winter. 

This stuff is straight out of heaven for hardcore snow weenies....analyzing topo maps. 

And a big yes to Maine...we really need some posters in the Bethel-Rangeley corridor. Maybe in another 5-10 years I’ll contribute by getting a place there, LOL. 

And Jackman, and The County, maybe Calais/Danforth to get the late bloomers.  Moosehead area - my wish list is long.  :weenie:

Back to Pinkham:  Out of curiosity I looked up Diamond Pond.  It's 57 miles N from Pinkham and about 200' higher and an obvious snow-catcher.  In its 13 full winters (98-99 thru 10-11) it's average was 230.0".  In those same winters Pinkham ran 126.7".  Even adding 10" for the "M" in early Jan 2010 and another 10 for 4/1/11 only brings them to 128.2", still 100+ less than Diamond.  Doesn't seem logical to this non-met.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And Jackman, and The County, maybe Calais/Danforth to get the late bloomers.  Moosehead area - my wish list is long.  :weenie:

Back to Pinkham:  Out of curiosity I looked up Diamond Pond.  It's 57 miles N from Pinkham and about 200' higher and an obvious snow-catcher.  In its 13 full winters (98-99 thru 10-11) it's average was 230.0".  In those same winters Pinkham ran 126.7".  Even adding 10" for the "M" in early Jan 2010 and another 10 for 4/1/11 only brings them to 128.2", still 100+ less than Diamond.  Doesn't seem logical to this non-met.

Seeing some of the depth of the pack when i'm out riding, I would want to be in that Rangeley corridor or NW of it.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yeah my guess is Pinkham changed measuring techniques at some point. I agree there is no way they average 100" less per year than Diamond Pond.....though I could easily believe 50-60"....Diamond Pond is one of the best upslope spots in NH.

Missing a few storms at Pinkham is a sign of that change in technique too....they probably measure once per day when they can get to the site whereas previously I'm guessing they were more meticulous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We need someone to build a cabin on the side of Kibby Mountain.....they probably average 300" a winter, lol....best upslope spot that radar can't see in New England?

Yes, Definitely doesn't get picked up on radar, Your not kidding about a cabin up there, , Buddy of mine works on the turbines, This was May 8th this year.

911918C4-619D-4423-ACE9-77FBDDC07D23.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

41 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Diamond Pond is crazy for snow.  They have the annual Snodeo there where all the snowmobile manufacturers bring their new models for test rides.    That is near where The Balsams is too so if they ever manage to build that resort out there will be plenty of snow.