• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

By the way since I somehow hijacked this thread (I really am not using it for advertising I swear, I just thought that house would be cool for weenies like me to see) we are looking for maintenance and office people if you know anyone interested in living up here. We now manage 70+ properties, can’t hire fast enough.  :)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, alex said:

That’s correct! It’s about 1500 ft on Dalton Ridge

Hard to believe 1500ft would be a snow hole, and I mean, even HIE is fairly snowy all things considered... just would be more around there, lol.  You’d still have snow on the ground all winter I’d assume.

But 1500ft in NNH can’t be a snow hole in the real sense.  Looks like the ridge goes up to 1,900ft in there, that’s pretty solid.

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe that’s close enough to the high terrain to avoid major downsloping. Otherwise if I cared for the property and saw what Alex had for snow and I had flurrries and dim sun, I’d likely set it on fire. 

lol you guys are so dramatic.  Compared to Weymouth it would be like Alaska.

Look at the view from that ridge: 

image.jpeg.3be59957b79b11c727e45e010d1f0d5c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hard to believe 1500ft would be a snow hole, and I mean, even HIE is fairly snowy all things considered... just would be more around there, lol.  You’d still have snow on the ground all winter I’d assume.

But 1500ft in NNH can’t be a snow hole in the real sense.  Looks like the ridge goes up to 1,900ft in there, that’s pretty solid.

It’s def a snow hole there. It’s a ridge but it’s totally stuck right in the valley there between Lancaster and Whitefield. That’s an awful spot. I’m sure they get like an extra 10” per year or something up there compared to the valley floor but I doubt they avoid the big downsloping in the synoptic sense.

Id be surprised if they got more than 80-85” per year there. The valley floor there probably barely averages more than ORH with worse retention. It does increase really rapidly toward Jefferson but I feel like that ridge sits in the worst spot. It’s kind of amazing how fast the snow increases once you head east on Rt 2. By the time you get to where Phineas is at the same elevation, it’s probably literally double the annual snowfall with wayyyy better retention. 

But yeah...in an absolute sense, it’s going to be winter paradise for some person from the south coast. 80”+ of snow is still 80”+ of snow....you just might be driven mad though when you see the snow hole over you or you melt out pretty fast in a cutter and just a few miles away is completely buried. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s def a snow hole there. It’s a ridge but it’s totally stuck right in the valley there between Lancaster and Whitefield. That’s an awful spot. I’m sure they get like an extra 10” per year or something up there compared to the valley floor but I doubt they avoid the big downsloping in the synoptic sense.

Id be surprised if they got more than 80-85” per year there. The valley floor there probably barely averages more than ORH with worse retention. It does increase really rapidly toward Jefferson but I feel like that ridge sits in the worst spot. It’s kind of amazing how fast the snow increases once you head east on Rt 2. By the time you get to where Phineas is at the same elevation, it’s probably literally double the annual snowfall with wayyyy better retention. 

But yeah...in an absolute sense, it’s going to be winter paradise for some person from the south coast. 80”+ of snow is still 80”+ of snow....you just might be driven mad though when you see the snow hole over you or you melt out pretty fast in a cutter and just a few miles away is completely buried. 

65-70" average in Whitefield? Wow, that seems low, but you would know better than me

ORH was low 60s and now upper 60s average now right?

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

65-70" average in Whitefield? Wow, that seems low, but you would know better than me

Yeah I don’t know the exact number up there. The Lancaster coop averages like 70”. Sometimes coops are too low if they truly only measure once per day at the same exact time. Not sure if Lancaster does or not. I haven’t scrutinized the coop data there very closely.

But based off of snow cover maps and having driven up there frequently, it’s not a whole lot more than that even if it’s wrong. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen bare ground or nearly bare ground there when every other direction was deep snow pack. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

@ORH_wxman saved me from buying 30 acres in the middle of the woods in Whitefield. Dodged a bullet there as a snow weenie. I would have been sick reading this forum. 

No one would’ve known at the time lol.  But still from Maryland the first the first few winters would feel like Alaska.  It’s after a couple winters you’d really sort of start to figure it out.

When I moved from Albany NY to Burlington, VT, it felt like another planet despite only a modest increase in snow and BTV literally being one of the states lowest snow spots.  We’d have stars while radar would be lit up 5 miles away but for whatever reason it didn’t bother me for quite a while.

I do think going to Mansfield all the time (even in college it was 4 days a week) probably held me over, seeing 3000ft do 300+ inches a winter.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man @ORH_wxman, I would’ve guessed they’d be good for 120” or so at least.  Hard to imagine 1,500ft getting 85” of snow in Coos County.  

I’d be utterly shocked if that spot got 120”. I could maybe be convinced of 90-100” on the ridge there with mediocre retention. The extra elevation would definitely help some...but it’s still smack in the death triangle between Littleton-Lancaster-Whitefield. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I don’t know the exact number up there. The Lancaster coop averages like 70”. Sometimes coops are too low if they truly only measure once per day at the same exact time. Not sure if Lancaster does or not. I haven’t scrutinized the coop data there very closely.

But based off of snow cover maps and having driven up there frequently, it’s not a whole lot more than that even if it’s wrong. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen bare ground or nearly bare ground there when every other direction was deep snow pack. 

It’s weird that it thaws so much... HIE temps never really stood out to be in a torch way.  Not like say BTV that goes to 40F+ immediately when the wind goes southerly.  I always thought that area was similar to the NEK of VT with great retention regardless of actual snowfall.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

@ORH_wxman saved me from buying 30 acres in the middle of the woods in Whitefield. Dodged a bullet there as a snow weenie. I would have been sick reading this forum. 

I was really worried when you mentioned that location...but you’re right, for 99.9% of the population it would be a beautiful paradise, but there’s no way I could in good conscience keep silent seeing a fellow snow weenie consider it. 

I felt like all the kids in “The Sandlot” movie when Smalls says, “hey what’s the big deal, I’ll get the ball” while he starts climbing the wall....and they all shout “NOOOOOO!!!!.....” and start sprinting after him. LOL

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Well, I know the 3k NAM certainly hates that area. March 93 could be coming up the coast and it would still print out .1-.2" qpf..ha. It does it with every storm. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Please remember that in just a few short weeks when you’re posting magnificent backyard pics of epic snowfall and snow pack, your fellow forum posters down here in the desert of SNE will struggle to produce a 1-3” clipper. 

No mercy :lol: 

And then in no time folks will just start ignoring it, haha.  Eventually someone will say “Isnt there a NNE thread for that stuff?  We don’t need to see Moose Knuckle village with buried evergreens anymore.  No body cares.”

I’ve gotten plenty of that in the past decade :lol:.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s weird that it thaws so much... HIE temps never really stood out to be in a torch way.  Not like say BTV that goes to 40F+ immediately when the wind goes southerly.  I always thought that area was similar to the NEK of VT with great retention regardless of actual snowfall.

It’s not just the thaws, it’s flurries and 2-5” snows. I couldn’t take that knowing 20 miles East is getting smoked. Yeah it would be wintry compared to here, but yeesh....I’d rather rain than see the atmosphere choke on dendrites while 20 miles away gets 18”.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I drove to Whitefield daily last year and I can confirm that there were plenty of times when we have a foot plus and they had nothing. Literally bare ground. In fact I’ve noticed a few occasions when Littleton had significantly more snowcover. It’s a combination of lack of significant upslope, strong downslope, and poor CAD (although we are even worse on that front at the higher elevations, but we more than make it up in upslope)