Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Should they not be reporting on this?  It is showing what can happen if precautions are not taken seriously.   

Why not report that we’ve had several take place without incident, Showing a wedding indoors with people wearing mask and social distancing to educate so it can be done if done right, The media is biased and that would never happen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Why not report that we’ve had several take place without incident, Showing a wedding indoors with people wearing mask and social distancing to educate so it can be done if done right, The media is biased and that would never happen.

I have seen news stories showing this.  Of course those don’t attract viewers and readers.   But as the old saying goes, if it bleeds, it leads.  

Back in the first couple of months of this, John Krazinski (The Office, Jack Ryan, etc) did a series of awesome YouTube videos called The Good News.   It was all positive stories.  We enjoyed those greatly

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have seen news stories showing this.  Of course those don’t attract viewers and readers.   But as the old saying goes, if it bleeds, it leads.  

Back in the first couple of months of this, John Krazinski (The Office, Jack Ryan, etc) did a series of awesome YouTube videos called The Good News.   It was all positive stories.  We enjoyed those greatly

The media needs to change if they actually want to see change happen, Unfortunately in this situation, You had someone that worked in the county jail in York that attended and was asymptomatic, And someone else visited a group home in Millinocket and you had an outbreak where the majority of the deaths occurred or are still occurring which is very unfortunate, But as we all have learned, When you have an outbreak in a assisted living facility, Outcomes are usually grim.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yep, those were definitely a bright spot in a very tough stretch.

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

I don't agree, This could have all been avoided if precautions were taken which did not happen in this instance, This is not the first indoor or last wedding that has happened since covid that have had outcomes come out ok, i despise the media and its biased agenda for only reporting negatives.

Apologies, I should have clarified.   My statement should have read:  Bodes well for other indoor weddings where people are carrying on as if times were normal.  I have a friend getting married next weekend indoors - DJ, open bar, no reduction in the invitation list.  No mention of masks in the invitation.  So they're leaving it up to the attendees; maybe some will wear and some will won't, but unless everyone does it kind of defeats the purpose. 

There are plenty of weddings taking place where people have made modifications.  Smaller size, outdoors, mask wearing.  Agreed, you won't hear about those, and that is completely biased.  Having an indoor wedding right now with no modifications is a bad idea regardless of media agenda.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Apologies, I should have clarified.   My statement should have read:  Bodes well for other indoor weddings where people are carrying on as if times were normal.  I have a friend getting married next weekend indoors - DJ, open bar, no reduction in the invitation list.  No mention of masks in the invitation.  So they're leaving it up to the attendees; maybe some will wear and some will won't, but unless everyone does it kind of defeats the purpose. 

There are plenty of weddings taking place where people have made modifications.  Smaller size, outdoors, mask wearing.  Agreed, you won't hear about those, and that is completely biased.  Having an indoor wedding right now with no modifications is a bad idea regardless of media agenda.

This i can agree with, If precautions are not taken, Then its on them for what consequences may happen, If i was a guest i would probably have to consider attending or not,  My youngest son was at a wedding in Fryeburg last weekend at an indoor venue, They had to really cut and slash the guest list to comply as well as mask and social distancing, But they had no option to change the wedding date as the venue is booked 2 yrs in advance and the only other open date they had was in Dec of 2022, I'm attending an outdoor wedding on the 3rd of October in Waterford, Which the ceremony and reception are all being held on the beach at the lake where its taking place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

The media needs to change if they actually want to see change happen, Unfortunately in this situation, You had someone that worked in the county jail in York that attended and was asymptomatic, And someone else visited a group home in Millinocket and you had an outbreak where the majority of the deaths occurred or are still occurring which is very unfortunate, But as we all have learned, When you have an outbreak in a assisted living facility, Outcomes are usually grim.

Protocols were intentionally not followed at the York County lockup, "Don't wear masks, it might spook the inmates."  :axe:

Those 6 fatalities at the Madison long-term care facility are almost all those in Maine during the past month.  

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Protocols were intentionally not followed at the York County lockup, "Don't wear masks, it might spook the inmates.:axe:

Those 6 fatalities at the Madison long-term care facility are almost all those in Maine during the past month.  

And the reason why they had an outbreak, What a poor decision who made that call.

Assuming that the ski season is somewhat normal and there aren’t any state to state travel restrictions in the northeast. My wife and I are looking to take probably a 3 night trip to the North Conway area mid December or so.

Any suggestions for places to stay that may be offering some bargains? All the usual hotels and what not seem to be prices high like they usually are. Willing to try something a bit different 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Assuming that the ski season is somewhat normal and there aren’t any state to state travel restrictions in the northeast. My wife and I are looking to take probably a 3 night trip to the North Conway area mid December or so.

Any suggestions for places to stay that may be offering some bargains? All the usual hotels and what not seem to be prices high like they usually are. Willing to try something a bit different 

Have you looked into Bretton Woods? I believe @alex has some rental properties up there or you could look at staying at the Mt Washington Hotel.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Why bother? 75% chance the skiing is terrible in December. I'll never understand the rush to ski in December and then everyone hangs em up in February despite march and april being the best months to ski. With that said, try staying outside of Conway. Gorham, NH hotels will be cheaper and Sunday River will likely have better conditions and more terrain than any of the resorts in the valley. 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You can camp in my barn for a nominal fee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The local guy up here who works on my house said that the Town and Country Inn in Shelburne is your best bet. That endorsement may be a bad thing or a good thing. There are some really rustic folks up here and standards may be different...

I stayed at Carlsons Lodge in Carroll about 15 years ago. It was fine but can’t speak to quality now. It looks well kept from the outside. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll wait until a low stalls north of Caribou. I think that is upslope sweet spot even for you. 

That’s the golden NW flow spot.  Climo studies all show big NW flow snows from vertically stacked lows over FVE.  Really can tap that maritime moisture that way, nice conveyor belt from the ocean into the mountains.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The local guy up here who works on my house said that the Town and Country Inn in Shelburne is your best bet. That endorsement may be a bad thing or a good thing. There are some really rustic folks up here and standards may be different...

I stayed at Carlsons Lodge in Carroll about 15 years ago. It was fine but can’t speak to quality now. It looks well kept from the outside. 

T&C is actually not too bad all things considered. great place to stay for a snowmobile trip

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Carlsons is still a good place! I know the owners quite well. But of course, best lodging around is from brettonwoodsvacations.com. :P