Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I hear ya but man the west is so incredibly beautiful I think I’d risk it. 

I would move to the high desert, for sure. My wife and I dreamed of a house in the high terrain of New Mexico, but the notion of having to fly there every time turned us off. I love the dry climate. California? No way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And Jerry, good luck with retirement! I expect good measurements this winter....you'll have all the time in the world. LOL.

Thanks man!   However I should point out that I was meticulous last winter-it’ was easy and unfortunately not frequent...

My only weak spot will be if I have to get up after doing euro pbp to measure.   I may miss an early AM report but wth-if it’s snowing that hard I’ll just wait for it to stop before sleeping...,lol.   It turns out the side work gig is now only 1 day per week.   When I found out I rejoiced...lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, that’s nice. 
that makes several arrests now for different fires out west.  WTAF is wrong with people?Intentionally starting a fire that you know might burn out of control and kill people is full psychopath. 

Four have been arrested on suspicion of arson in West Coast areas already under seige from major destructive and deadly blazes, according to reports.

As wildfires continue to rage across three states, police investigated separate incidents near existing wildfires. Two men in Washington state, one man in Oregon and one woman in California are facing charges, according to the Daily Wire.

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I would move to the high desert, for sure. My wife and I dreamed of a house in the high terrain of New Mexico, but the notion of having to fly there every time turned us off. I love the dry climate. California? No way.

A couple of years ago we took a vacation in the SW.  Flew into Las Vegas and then drove to the Grand Canyon and around parts of the high desert.  The climate in the Flagstaff area seemed really nice.  The drive from there to Sedona was spectacular.  I don't think I could live lower than 6-7000' out there.

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I hear ya but man the west is so incredibly beautiful I think I’d risk it. 

For sure, I’d live in Rocky Mountain ski country in a heartbeat.  They still get fires but not nearly the frequency of other areas... the ski towns in CO/WY/MT get enough precip usually to keep them low risk.

The wife and I talk about, could just up and leave one day.  Would have no problem selling our place and putting it in a truck and head west, ha.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

For sure, I’d live in Rocky Mountain ski country in a heartbeat.  They still get fires but not nearly the frequency of other areas... the ski towns in CO/WY/MT get enough precip usually to keep them low risk.

The wife and I talk about, could just up and leave one day.  Would have no problem selling our place and putting it in a truck and head west, ha.

My sister used to live in Florrisant, CO and that had a couple years when their home was threatened by wildfires.  Recall seeing some photos of burned brush around the house.

I wonder if any baby that was the 'honorary guest' of one of these beef-wit's quasi-narcissism events, where the parents impose self love on their unborn baby in the form of a reveal party ( oh my god, my baby's pussy or schmenze ! ) ...will grown up in painful secrecy coveting the information that it was in fact their pussy or chicken-toe that was the impetus for millions of acres consumed, dozens of deaths ... and indeterminate carbon fluxing into an atmosphere/environment already reeling from cumulative generations of Industrial farts - 

'Magine that dude or chick...  "See what my pussy is worth! "  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

High desert is amazing....I'd consider living anywhere there or in the mountains near there in NM, AZ, S CO/S UT....basically the four corners states outside of places like S AZ and Albuquerque or Las Cruces.

As for CA, I had a lot of family out there over the years living in different parts of the state.........I love the Tahoe region of CA and some of far N CA like Mt Shasta and up near Oregon (it's very secluded up there, you might as well be in Idaho), but otherwise I don't have much desire to be in that state. The Mojave desert is pretty cool to visit, but I definitely wouldn't live there. The rest of SoCal is basically a dump to me...San Diego was pretty fun visiting years ago but it's become a lot more crowded in the past couple decades. Still not as bad as the LA Basin.

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

High desert is amazing....I'd consider living anywhere there or in the mountains near there in NM, AZ, S CO/S UT....basically the four corners states outside of places like S AZ and Albuquerque or Las Cruces.

As for CA, I had a lot of family out there over the years living in different parts of the state.........I love the Tahoe region of CA and some of far N CA like Mt Shasta and up near Oregon (it's very secluded up there, you might as well be in Idaho), but otherwise I don't have much desire to be in that state. The Mojave desert is pretty cool to visit, but I definitely wouldn't live there. The rest of SoCal is basically a dump to me...San Diego was pretty fun visiting years ago but it's become a lot more crowded in the past couple decades. Still not as bad as the LA Basin.

One thing I did think was interesting about LA was the geology....  

They have these cragged topography jutting out around the perimeter of the San Fer. Valley floor, which can look similar really to some of the juts around here... But hiking up trails where you slide partially backward in loose fragmented rubble ... the rock faces along side were physically peculiar.  The surfaces look like solid stone but one can literally scoop a fist full of it without breaking a nail. I later learned it's called 'decomposed granite'   ... it's like that because of eons of rattling by geologic seismic energy... along with erosive weathering from all the falsey anticipated El Nino winter forecast bluster .. heh.  

And then you look around up the hill at angles ... there are platformed homes built mid way up higher elevations - huh.  One wonders how they are footed/anchored..   

California is a powderkeg for natural disasters as we all know but hiking those hills that skirt the valley and learning about decomposed this and San Andreas fault that, and then touring the Getty Museum ... fantastic views, really.  The facility is perched a mile or so elevation above the Valley floor and over looks LA skyline from the far side ...and you can see this caste orientation of honeycomb neighborhoods packing the floor, said mid elevation luxuries, yet higher above these ...palatial older money estates lord from mountain tops. It's got this like built in conceit that is only tangible from that sort of Holden Caulfield-esque perspective - an exposed fragility.

First hand, it was an interesting tourism experience for me back in aught '03... Hey, I got to see a test screening for one of those earlier Harry Potter's .. second movie I think it was.  But I came away with a sense that it may be fun to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.   There's to much of an elitism overarching the "serfs of the valley floor" vibe about it all. Creative writing: I call it ethos-narcissism, where the region itself thinks it is a movie star - and it's genetics is just as vapid and undeservingly idolized to me as hollow celebrity worship really is. And you have to toe-the-line of your echelon and feed those above you to fulfill their cravings for your envy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

One thing I did think was interesting about LA was the geology....  

They have these cragged topography jutting out around the perimeter of the San Fer. Valley floor, which can look similar really to some of the juts around here... But hiking up trails where you slide partially backward in loose fragmented rubble ... the rock faces along side were physically peculiar.  The surfaces look like solid stone but one can literally scoop a fist full of it without breaking a nail. I later learned it's called 'decomposed granite'   ... it's like that because of eons of rattling by geologic seismic energy... along with erosive weathering from all the falsey anticipated El Nino winter forecast bluster .. heh.  

And then you look around up the hill at angles ... there are platformed homes built mid way up higher elevations - huh.  One wonders how they are footed/anchored..   

California is a powderkeg for natural disasters as we all know but hiking those hills that skirt the valley and learning about decomposed this and San Andreas fault that, and then touring the Getty Museum ... fantastic views, really.  The facility is perched a mile or so elevation above the Valley floor and over looks LA skyline from the far side ...and you can see this caste orientation of honeycomb neighborhoods packing the floor, said mid elevation luxuries, yet higher above these ...palatial older money estates lord from mountain tops. It's got this like built in conceit that is only tangible from that sort of Holden Caulfield-esque perspective - an exposed fragility.

The bolded is really obvious when you visit there if you are at all informed about geology and meteorology together....it's pretty amazing seeing all these structures, but also seemingly very fragile as you put it...or "exposed fragility" to be more precise.

I remember reading a paper, say, 14-15 years ago on the climate of CA going back centuries and the unmistakable conclusion from it was that the 20th century was the wettest century on record there since at least maybe 1000-1100...pre-Little Ice Age. I was thinking, "wow, and people go all crazy over droughts like '76-77.....that will look like Shangri La when one of these 10 or 20 year droughts hits"...at the time, we hadn't had the 2014-2015 drought yet there, but same sentiment....the rhetoric was desperate-sounding, but in a historical climate context, the 2014-2015 drought is a fly compared to so many previous periods. The inevitability of a life-changing drought there rang true when reading that paper...and that's not even accounting for any enhancement climate warming might impose on top of such a drought.

And I didn't even talk about the geological inevitability there, but you hinted at it....

I'd pass.

43 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Yep, and none of the deceased attended the wedding.  All secondary spread.  Bodes well for other indoor weddings happening over the next month.   People are selfish/dumb.

I don't agree, This could have all been avoided if precautions were taken which did not happen in this instance, This is not the first indoor or last wedding that has happened since covid that have had outcomes come out ok, i despise the media and its biased agenda for only reporting negatives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dryslot said:

I don't agree, This could have all been avoided if precautions were taken which did not happen in this instance, This is not the first indoor or last wedding that has happened since covid that have had outcomes come out ok, i despise the media and its biased agenda for only reporting negatives.

Should they not be reporting on this?  It is showing what can happen if precautions are not taken seriously.   

• Thanks 1