Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Dude from city to hamlet...it's all there. I've never been so disgusted. 

Despite all "social injustice" and "economic iniquities"  ... surplus conveniences allowing people to create drama and hostility instead of focusing energy on survival - does also sort of back us into a proof that if you take out that necessity, what remains is a douche-bag species. But, douche-bag is crass.

Attempting something more intellectual: we are not as separated from the primal brain state of less evolved ( mentally ) species.  I mean, everything else alive steals.  Cheats. Murders.  We just evolved morality meshing over eons to draw a cooperative approach to environmental/survival problem sharing/solving, because we are weak physically...with less built in protections and wherewithal through our descendancy.  Cooperation and 'teamwork' is the human adaptation that really separates us from other animals that are non- anthropoda ( ants and bees).  

The catch-22 of technology in the "socio-technological evolutionary experiment" is that the advantages that we indulge and orgasm in, effectively cut the 750,000 years of evolutionary strings that were evolved along the way that we necessarily were dependent upon as our specific evolutionary need, to survive as a species. People risk becoming estranged and marginalized in such realms that turn off the instinct; depression ...and a spectrum psychological disorders become increasingly more prevalent ...and no one with an intelligence worth a salt would argue that lone shootings in shopping malls and schools is anything other than a social crisis precipitating out of that catch-22... ( my opinion on this particular evidence). 

Too many populous spanning too many generations ...living in relative convenience and provision accessibility is enabling the loss of the principles and virtuosities that kept communities of lore unilateral/bipartisan for their conception of what was really important, and how to function and operate as a collective cooperation. 

There was tension along the way. Things were never perfect.  Civil wars are still a part of human history, and wars abroad for that matter...  But, there is a separate emergent phenomenon of separatism that is occurring right down to the individual scope and scale.. Being accentuated and poked like a proverbial stick in a yellow jacket's nest, and it is tearing at the ( abused trope incoming - ) fabric of society(ies) threads by said convenience and provision addling. 

You didn't ask for this rant - no... And I don't claim to be a sociologist by education or trade.  But, I agree with Steve there in 'principle' about stimulus ...namely, too much of it.  I have not lived as long as our seniors in this social mediasphere destination...but, I am mid aged at this point. I have suffered enough decades along sides the vicissitudes of humanities shenanigans to have learned apriori ...and can do an intuitive arithmetic ...that throwing advantages and access at unfiltered and more times than not, unscrupulously mangled minds ... information at the 90th percentile of population en masse, is a catch-22 because the erosive power of enabling vitriol leads to this sort of social break down of norms...and unfortunately... when seating that phenomenon in a population surplus and other more veracious environmental threats looming as an over arcing thematic problem for actual life on this planet ( forget Humanity for -f sake! ), that only adds to sense of urgency to a world that needs 0 more stress. 

You know " being in the weeds " is a metaphor for when one is so caught up in a problem's whirling components, too much so.  They can't see the bigger picture any longer and get sort of bogged down in the mire of unsolvability ... We are in the weeds as a world, and those weeds are tanned and waving in arid expanse of bereft conditional sociopathy, while a dry based thunder cloud spines blue pulses to the horizon ;)  ... All these various forms of aggrandized/fearing apocalypse'... no one would have thunk that technology could be the slow moving fires in which we currently burn. 

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Has NOAA been hacked or something? They've seem to be having some extensive problems or the better part of the last several months...server issues, product issues, older data/graphics being displayed, model issues. It's been pretty bad. 

Idiocracy is sweeping the technological helms of society .. 

People are not learning about reality anymore... They are "learning how to use tech" to pass tests and get ahead to get wealthy and laid... They don't think - and that is addling intellectual brain-trust of societies(y's) gears and buttons and levers, levels of decision and operations and everything else, start erroring and acting buggy... 

Eventually, no one will actually know how anything actually works... such that if something modulates in the onion layer of dependent tech that all this is built upon in strata -codependency framework, the whole thing risks coming to a halt while manuals are probed and people look up terminology in the dictionary along the way because they barely can read. 

ahaha.  'duh, how does the satellite work again '  ...' oh, you just just push this button, and a factory manufactures it somehow...and den ders dis system ...oh yeah! I think it's called Nassau and it's an island? it launches a rocket and ...."  ... 'oh yeah, right - and then we push this button and a hurricane is caused by gay marriage'

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, that stuff is clearly nuts. But I don't think it's nuts to say Hollywood and part of the elite establishment has an issue with pedophilia and child abuse/trafficking. I mean, we all know they do. It's been exposed. Epstein, Corey Feldman, Kevin Spacey, Prince Andrew...

I don't think they drink blood, but some of them definitely traffic in little kids and it is covered up. That's no conspiracy theory, despite what Time or The Atlantic might say...

Go look into Jimmy Saville sometime.  Creepy shit! 

42 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Netflix just started streaming a very creepy film that has rightfully led to many cancellations.

I was actually wondering what you'd think about that. I had figured the Muslim community would be a little ticked off since I have heard it paints them in somewhat of a bad light (in addition to the other massive issues with the movie).

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I was actually wondering what you'd think about that. I had figured the Muslim community would be a little ticked off since I have heard it paints them in somewhat of a bad light (in addition to the other massive issues with the movie).

If there have been no fatwahs proclaimed, it would seem that Islam isn't too concerned.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah it hasn’t been well received from Muslims, though I’ve seen much more outrage and attention from American conservatives.

Muslims so far are a lot more outspoken against the live action Mulan, since Disney filmed parts of the movie in Xinjiang, and collaborated with CCP agents who are committing a genocide against the Uyghurs. 

I am so disgusted by all of it.

So the "bodies in the streets" thing.  I'm almost done with the book-"The Great Influenza" by John Barry.  

1918-19 was some off the wall shit.  Literally bodies in the streets.  Dead people rotting in many homes.  It's the equivalent of 1.5 million dead in the current pandemic.  Really frightening with the same responses by many in government although medical science was nowhere close to what it is today.  Great read.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

So the "bodies in the streets" thing.  I'm almost done with the book-"The Great Influenza" by John Barry.  

1918-19 was some off the wall shit.  Literally bodies in the streets.  Dead people rotting in many homes.  It's the equivalent of 1.5 million dead in the current pandemic.  Really frightening with the same responses by many in government although medical science was nowhere close to what it is today.  Great read.

Yeah, it was ghastly.   
Even if the current rate continued for two full years (which it won’t) we wouldn’t even be at 700k.   Not that that is good. 

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

My great grandfather's big brother was a boy scout when the pandemic hit. Unbeknownst to his parents, he sneaked into downtown Richmond with his friends to volunteer carrying the sick to the hospital. Sadly, he quickly caught the flu himself and perished at just fifteen. But yes, bodies everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Busy day of rescues in the White Mountains yesterday...

From NH Fish and Game: 

Two National Guard Helicopters Assist Fish & Game with Simultaneous Hiker Emergencies in the White Mountains   

Franconia - At 12:49 p.m. Saturday afternoon NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers were alerted to a hiker suffering from a medical emergency at the summit of Mount Lafayette in Franconia.  Two phone calls had been placed to 911, one call went to Vermont 911 while the other ended up going to Maine 911.  Both calls were eventually transferred to NH 911 when it was learned that the calling party was in New Hampshire.  The calls were eventually dropped but it was learned that a nurse who was on scene had advised of a male who was suffering a serious medical 
episode.  Calls to the reporting party went unanswered.  It was decided that the caretaker at the AMC Greenleaf Hut would hike up to the summit to determine what was going on.  As the caretaker was preparing to head to the summit the stricken man arrived at the Greenleaf Hut after being assisted by other hikers.  Upon arrival at the hut the man suffered another medical episode.  It was determined by other hikers who had medical training that it would not be safe for the man to continue down the trail without assistance.  

Greenleaf Hut is located about three miles from the trailhead and would have taken 7 or 8 hours for rescuers to respond and carry the hiker down.  A call was placed to the NH Army National Guard to determine the possibility of a flight to Mount Lafayette, as their crews were already preparing to handle another medical emergency atop Mount Jefferson.  By 3:00 p.m. two flight crews had been assembled and two separate Blackhawk helicopters were taking off from Concord responding to both emergencies in the White Mountains.

At 3:30 PM the first Blackhawk arrived at Greenleaf Hut and lowered a medic by hoist.  At 3:45 p.m. the hiker and medic were hoisted back into the helicopter.  The hiker was flown to Concord Hospital for evaluation.  The hiker, identified as 50-year-old Patrik Svenson of Needham, MA  had departed earlier that day in an effort to complete the Falling Waters/Bridle Path Loop.  He completed 4.9 miles of the 9 mile hike he had planned when the medical episode occurred while he was on the summit of 5,260 foot Mount Lafayette.

Thompson & Meserve’s Purchase – A Massachusetts man died after suffering an unknown medical condition while summiting Mt. Jefferson on Saturday afternoon.  

Officials say that a 60-year-old hiker from Mashpee, MA was hiking in a small group when he suddenly collapsed just before 2:00 p.m.  Several Good Samaritan hikers, many who were in the medical profession who witnessed the event immediately started CPR and called 911.  Fish & Game Conservation Officers were alerted to the emergency and started the rescue response.

Due to the nature of the medical emergency, air support was requested from the National Guard unit from Concord.  They responded by scrambling a crew as quickly as possible, getting a Blackhawk helicopter in the air and flying north from Concord.  At the same time they were requested for another emergency hiker call on the summit of Mt. Lafayette.  Fair weather conditions and the seriousness of the hikers’ conditions played a major role in the use of air support during these rescues.   

The National Guard helicopter crew arrived on scene and was able to extract the hiker from the summit of Mt. Jefferson by hoisting him up into the aircraft using a winch; a manuever which did not require a landing.  

Unfortunately, despite all the exhaustive efforts by fellow hikers providing constant resuscitation for nearly 2 hours and the arrival of the National Guard helicopter, he did not survive.  The hiker, whose name is being withheld pending notification to family members, was experienced and in good health prior to his collapse.3C760D9C-2CD3-4FB7-B88D-FB828509DF52.thumb.jpeg.248a11f654426b64422bc05bee2a2ef4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Busy day of rescues in the White Mountains yesterday...

From NH Fish and Game: 

Two National Guard Helicopters Assist Fish & Game with Simultaneous Hiker Emergencies in the White Mountains   

Franconia - At 12:49 p.m. Saturday afternoon NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers were alerted to a hiker suffering from a medical emergency at the summit of Mount Lafayette in Franconia.  Two phone calls had been placed to 911, one call went to Vermont 911 while the other ended up going to Maine 911.  Both calls were eventually transferred to NH 911 when it was learned that the calling party was in New Hampshire.  The calls were eventually dropped but it was learned that a nurse who was on scene had advised of a male who was suffering a serious medical 
episode.  Calls to the reporting party went unanswered.  It was decided that the caretaker at the AMC Greenleaf Hut would hike up to the summit to determine what was going on.  As the caretaker was preparing to head to the summit the stricken man arrived at the Greenleaf Hut after being assisted by other hikers.  Upon arrival at the hut the man suffered another medical episode.  It was determined by other hikers who had medical training that it would not be safe for the man to continue down the trail without assistance.  

Greenleaf Hut is located about three miles from the trailhead and would have taken 7 or 8 hours for rescuers to respond and carry the hiker down.  A call was placed to the NH Army National Guard to determine the possibility of a flight to Mount Lafayette, as their crews were already preparing to handle another medical emergency atop Mount Jefferson.  By 3:00 p.m. two flight crews had been assembled and two separate Blackhawk helicopters were taking off from Concord responding to both emergencies in the White Mountains.

At 3:30 PM the first Blackhawk arrived at Greenleaf Hut and lowered a medic by hoist.  At 3:45 p.m. the hiker and medic were hoisted back into the helicopter.  The hiker was flown to Concord Hospital for evaluation.  The hiker, identified as 50-year-old Patrik Svenson of Needham, MA  had departed earlier that day in an effort to complete the Falling Waters/Bridle Path Loop.  He completed 4.9 miles of the 9 mile hike he had planned when the medical episode occurred while he was on the summit of 5,260 foot Mount Lafayette.

Thompson & Meserve’s Purchase – A Massachusetts man died after suffering an unknown medical condition while summiting Mt. Jefferson on Saturday afternoon.  

Officials say that a 60-year-old hiker from Mashpee, MA was hiking in a small group when he suddenly collapsed just before 2:00 p.m.  Several Good Samaritan hikers, many who were in the medical profession who witnessed the event immediately started CPR and called 911.  Fish & Game Conservation Officers were alerted to the emergency and started the rescue response.

Due to the nature of the medical emergency, air support was requested from the National Guard unit from Concord.  They responded by scrambling a crew as quickly as possible, getting a Blackhawk helicopter in the air and flying north from Concord.  At the same time they were requested for another emergency hiker call on the summit of Mt. Lafayette.  Fair weather conditions and the seriousness of the hikers’ conditions played a major role in the use of air support during these rescues.   

The National Guard helicopter crew arrived on scene and was able to extract the hiker from the summit of Mt. Jefferson by hoisting him up into the aircraft using a winch; a manuever which did not require a landing.  

Unfortunately, despite all the exhaustive efforts by fellow hikers providing constant resuscitation for nearly 2 hours and the arrival of the National Guard helicopter, he did not survive.  The hiker, whose name is being withheld pending notification to family members, was experienced and in good health prior to his collapse.3C760D9C-2CD3-4FB7-B88D-FB828509DF52.thumb.jpeg.248a11f654426b64422bc05bee2a2ef4.jpeg

That sucks. You just never know when your time's up. But it sounds like the 1st guy wasn't as much in distress as initially claimed. They said he was able to hike down a bit with assistance to the hut. My initial thought was chest pains, but maybe it was broken bones? The 2nd guy was clearly a cardio event.

14 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

That sucks. You just never know when your time's up. But it sounds like the 1st guy wasn't as much in distress as initially claimed. They said he was able to hike down a bit with assistance to the hut. My initial thought was chest pains, but maybe it was broken bones? The 2nd guy was clearly a cardio event.

Yeah I was thinking the 1st one might have been minor stroke or even a seizure that repeated itself later.  “Serious medical episode” is usually something other than a broken bone.

I’ve been alone on a chairlift with someone who started having a massive seizure and I had to pin them in the chair with all my weight...you never know when a “serious episode” will happen.  They were unconscious and unresponsive the second half of the ride, 4-5 minutes of that feels like an eternity, I can’t imagine waiting for an hour or two for help. 

8 hours ago, BrianW said:

Some crazy HD helicopter footage of the wildfire damage in Oregon. Watch it from the 15 min mark to the end. 

That is crazy, the fire just jumped completely over neighborhoods.  What's amazing is where it hit there is just nothing left of those houses.  The heat must have been insane to do that. 

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That is crazy, the fire just jumped completely over neighborhoods.  What's amazing is where it hit there is just nothing left of those houses.  The heat must have been insane to do that. 

I saw a video a guy shot from his house after a fire in Oregon... somehow his house was completely untouched and his neighbors on both sides were leveled to the ground.  His shed even got torched but by some matter of luck his house was completely fine.  No thanks on forest fires, I’m good with 60mph winds being about the extent of damaging natural disasters around here.