Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

56 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Sounds fun, night time followed by perpetual evening followed by night time.  While still in full pandemic restrictions.  The Prozac requests must be through the roof.

Add in worrying if your neighborhood will burn to the ground because someone tosses a cigarette butt out the car window... or maybe because there’s a gender reveal party down the street?

Its crazy when it’s like “A lowered Honda Civic bottomed out pulling into the Walmart parking lot and the resulting sparks burned an entire county to the ground...”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Sounds fun, night time followed by perpetual evening followed by night time.  While still in full pandemic restrictions.  The Prozac requests must be through the roof.

There are many people across the country who are barely holding it together right now. The month of November is going to be absolutely wild. I don't want to be anywhere near a major city at that time. 

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:01 PM, powderfreak said:

Yeah it would be from the bars and indoor stuff if it’s there.  The outdoor stuff is a hard sell.  Close proximity, indoors, no masks, I mean we saw what that one wedding in Maine did recently.  The party at Killington recently.  If it happens, it happens indoors.

Most amazing to me is the "York County Jail" outbreak - inmates, staff, families of staff - totaling mid 70s last I saw and evidently coming via the one jail staffer who was at the wedding.  Not following the written protocol at the jail was key - "no masks because they didn't want to scare the prisoners" was one bit of foolishness I read.

@tamarack do you have temp data from January 1982. The earlier discussion made me think about a cold snap mid to late month that was brutal. I skied one day at Sugarloaf and combination of cold and wind made it the most uncomfortable physical experience of my life. Come to think of it, I was in Quebec City around same time and saw frost falling from a clear ski. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

@tamarack do you have temp data from January 1982. The earlier discussion made me think about a cold snap mid to late month that was brutal. I skied one day at Sugarloaf and combination of cold and wind made it the most uncomfortable physical experience of my life. Come to think of it, I was in Quebec City around same time and saw frost falling from a clear ski. 

January 1982 was my coldest month in Fort Kent, averaging 9.2/-12.3.  It is also Farmington, Maine's coldest for any month since records there began in 1893.  The first week was mild, 7F AN, but 8-31 the average was 5.4/-16.5.  The month had 9 subzero maxima (9-11, 18-19, 21-23 and 26) plus 6 single digit highs.  While the -7/-31 temps of the 10th were noteworthy, by far the most brutal cold came on 17-18.  After a cheap evening high of 13, Sunday the 17th featured a precipitous drop with winds gusting into the 40s.  It was minus teens by 8 AM (only time I've seen one of those flimsy dry-cleaner plastic bags shatter) and the bank sign read -24 at 3:45 PM.  By my 9 PM obs time it was -29.  Next morning the gusts had dropped a bit, probably still approaching 40, the temp was -34 and visibility was about 2 miles in light snow.  (On the old WCI scale that's about -101.  On the new it's around -70.)  Even with the good heater-hose engine warmer plugged in, my Chevy Luv pickup barely started.  That wind howled all day and my high was -14.  The wind never really quit the rest of the month.  On Tuesday 1/26 we were check-scaling logs in the wood yard of a pine mill across the river in Clair, New Brunswick.  Temps that day were -4/-24 and there's no place hotter/dustier in summer or colder/windier in winter than a mill yard.  The stench from the pork by-product rendering mill a hundred yards upwind didn't help.

If you were at the 'Loaf on 1/17, I would be surprised if they didn't have a wind-hold, or an early closing due to dangerous wind chill.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

If you were at the 'Loaf on 1/17, I would be surprised if they didn't have a wind-hold, or an early closing due to dangerous wind chill.

I can't say for sure but it was probably that third week (M-F, 18-22). I took 5 or 6 runs, each time had frost bite on my face and they wouldn't let me load without going inside. Absolutely brutal, my whole body was cold even with layers and layers on me. It was so bad that it ended my ski season.

4 minutes ago, Angus said:

I can't say for sure but it was probably that third week (M-F, 18-22). I took 5 or 6 runs, each time had frost bite on my face and they wouldn't let me load without going inside. Absolutely brutal, my whole body was cold even with layers and layers on me. It was so bad that it ended my ski season.

My highs for 18-22:  -14/-4/+9 (torch!), -6, -6.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Sherbrooke hit -31F on the 19th and -33F on the 27th. Both could get you diamond dust.

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

There are many people across the country who are barely holding it together right now. The month of November is going to be absolutely wild. I don't want to be anywhere near a major city at that time. 

Yes. Regardless of outcome, the election is going to cause major problems in my opinion.

13 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Agreed. Enjoying the “calm” before the storm. Hopefully we don’t look like a third world country to the rest of the world in how we act. 

I agree, after the election results are announced there will be chaos.  Unless you live in a major city the best thing you can do is turn off your TV and log out of twitter/reddit/facebook.  Because you're not going to see chaos in suburbantown USA.  But if you sit glued to the TV/internet then yeah, you're going to think that's reality everywhere, including your backyard.  Social media is poison (I understand this is social media, too) and perception is spoon fed - you can choose to keep your mouth open or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I agree, after the election results are announced there will be chaos.  Unless you live in a major city the best thing you can do is turn off your TV and log out of twitter/reddit/facebook.  Because you're not going to see chaos in suburbantown USA.  But if you sit glued to the TV/internet then yeah, you're going to think that's reality everywhere, including your backyard.  Social media is poison (I understand this is social media, too) and perception is spoon fed - you can choose to keep your mouth open or not.

I agree. As much as it can be good, overall I think it's helped polarize this country. It brings out the worst in people and frankly....I think society sucks right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1