• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

I just refuse to buy the (clearly politically slanted) notion that a biker rally is somehow fundamentally a much stronger vector for COVID spread than a packed rally/protest or the schools (especially colleges). I haven't looked closely at the study in question, but, scientifically speaking, it doesn't seem possible to be able to draw these kinds of conclusions this quickly given where most states are with their data.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I remember when scientists actually waited for peer review before promoting articles.  Out the window I guess judging on the scientists who retweeted the story

We know how it often goes if the people gathering are not liberals, 80% of the media reporting is scare mongering catering to a demographic  and I been leaning liberal 35 years of my life but I  can still call  a spade a spade 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I just refuse to buy the (clearly politically slanted) notion that a biker rally is somehow fundamentally a much stronger vector for COVID spread than a packed rally/protest or the schools (especially colleges). I haven't looked closely at the study in question, but, scientifically speaking, it doesn't seem possible to be able to draw these kinds of conclusions this quickly given where most states are with their data.

Yeah I didn’t read the study trying to make that point or reference a comparison to any other type of gathering.  I don’t agree with its numbers but even just mentioning a possible study of Sturgis, people seem to assume the authors have said it was worse than other things?

University spread seems like it may be similar... certain schools are getting decimated and sent home where it happens.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I didn’t read the study trying to make that point or reference a comparison to any other type of gathering.  I don’t agree with its numbers but even just mentioning a possible study of Sturgis, people seem to assume the authors have said it was worse than other things?

University spread seems like it may be similar... certain schools are getting decimated and sent home where it happens.  

I believe these guys also had a similar study that said protests are not a significant vector of spread. They have been taking fire on Twitter over perceived bias between the two studies. Usual stuff these days. LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I believe these guys also had a similar study that said protests are not a significant vector of spread. They have been taking fire on Twitter over perceived bias between the two studies. Usual stuff these days. LOL

Ah yeah if that’s the case then lol.  I just didn’t see any comparison at all to anything else in that study, just a vacuum look at Sturgis.

But these days I guess nothing is truly in a vacuum.  I’ll have to read up on their past work, I’m sure Twitter is highly entertaining on this too, haha.

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Glad I held onto my NKLA stock during the carnage.  
;)

Good timing with that big announcement 

NDQ, SP fell to 50 day M.A and are bouncing this am. Maintaining a risk on stock atmosphere is key to sustaining insane tech bubble valuations, looks to me that no large stimulus in future (which was priced in) is the biggest culprit in ending the concentrated frenzied buying atmosphere that sustained NDQ thru (AAPL/FB/MSFT/AMZN/GOOG) I would anticipate  High volatility unless that is passed or even a piece meal bill.

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I remember when scientists actually waited for peer review before promoting articles.  Out the window I guess judging on the scientists who retweeted the story

Yea tweeting about it is unacceptable and that model of tracking is highly questionable. The peer review process has been quite busy recently. I've done more/gotten more requests to review manuscripts since March than the previous couple years. Think a lot of folks are diving back into older/previously collecting data sets.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Yea tweeting about it is unacceptable and that model of tracking is highly questionable. The peer review process has been quite busy recently. I've done more/gotten more requests to review manuscripts since March than the previous couple years. Think a lot of folks are diving back into older/previously collecting data sets.

All political tweeters know their audience is looking for confirmation bias , not to do research on a tweets validity.

It’s got to the point I would be skeptical of any tweet from any  media outlet because any political media  is in a mindset of war right now (politically) , and in addition vast majority of media (mainstream and “alternative”) have a clear bias for ratings which requires emotion (often knee jerk) thru their friends ( fear and division) and they cater to (if not MOLD) their audiences beliefs !,  and their corona coverage is a case study in milking the fear button. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Has anyone else noticed smoke in the air the last two days?  Wondering if it is from the California fires or something local.

Haven’t really noticed here but my friend in San Francisco just texted me and said between the fog and the smoke at 9 AM it is basically like night time there. Surreal.