Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Shit I will baby sit for 1500 under the table lol. How many hours, not serious about the above but seems like a great job for a reliable retired person under the table. 

Yeah but then you are open for things like lawsuits etc.   the $2200 would pay for insurance and lawyers etc as well

Thats still nuts.  

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Shit I will baby sit for 1500 under the table lol. How many hours, not serious about the above but seems like a great job for a reliable retired person under the table. 

2 kids, 10 hours a day...for $1500/mo? That $9.375/hr chasing kids, changing diapers, dealing witn tantrums, teaching curriculum...is tempting? I would need a lot more money just to watch my own kids all day let alone someone elses. If I was retired, I’d rather make the hourly rate equivalent by working part time at Target or something. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

@tamarack I'm down at our lake cabin in NW New Jersey. This Tulip Poplar is estimated to be over 150+ years old. We have detailed land records going back to the late 1800's. The forest is all old growth and the size of the trees here is incredible.

Screenshot-20200904-171931-Gallery.jpg

Odd to see one growing on a slant, as they're about the straightest and most vertical of all deciduous trees, though like all of that group it will tilt toward the sun if shaded on one side.  Five feet in diameter?  Which lake - there's a bunch in that corner of the state.

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Congrats Jerry, I see more late nights this winter watching the 0z Euro come in...............:)

Thanks Jeff!  That’s my first thought.  Although I do have this job that may be up to 16 hours/week so not completely unbound but 2 days on/5 days off seems doable especially since part of the 2 days is from home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Did they find your replacement for you to train?   Mine feel into place and for the rest of the month I’m transitioning.  Congrats!

The state system won't allow that.  Parks and Lands can't even advertise the position until I'm fully retired and the process (getting a register, setting up interviews, receiving permission to make an offer) will take several months.  We've talked of my coming back on a contract, for that training and because 2021 is when we have to undergo a full recertification audit by the Forest Stewardship Council - happens every fifth year.  It's a complex process, and while I'm sharing some details with our recently (May) hired assistant bureau director, the new chief forester probably could use some background (unless a long-time bureau forester were to get the job.)

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The state system won't allow that.  Parks and Lands can't even advertise the position until I'm fully retired and the process (getting a register, setting up interviews, receiving permission to make an offer) will take several months.  We've talked of my coming back on a contract, for that training and because 2021 is when we have to undergo a full recertification audit by the Forest Stewardship Council - happens every fifth year.  It's a complex process, and while I'm sharing some details with our recently (May) hired assistant bureau director, the new chief forester probably could use some background (unless a long-time bureau forester were to get the job.)

Yeah that’s how it used to be here but covid brought enough resources so they can do it normally this time.  Gonna be surreal not having all these devices that required the security of Fort Knox...lol.