Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

26 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This is really how I feel and this winter has been textbook with showing us CAD does not work here.

I agree, like you and WxKnurd, I have a hard time seeing believing much (if any) ZR occurs in the central to western zones of Haywood County based on all my years of living here. I can't tell you how many times I have left work in Canton with temps in the 20's with ice to get home to Maggie Valley and find temps in the mid 40's with just rain. Once you get west of Clyde, the WAA usually erodes the CAD in these type of set ups.

And yet....... I have to say I have rarely seen pretty good model consensus like we have now showing some sort of ice event for the majority of Haywood County. GSP seems fairly bullish as well. It'll be interesting to see how the event plays out.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

I’m just not getting what the models are seeing, about all want to put ice down in Haywood and I just don’t get it.  

36 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

I agree, like you and WxKnurd, I have a hard time seeing believing much (if any) ZR occurs in the central to western zones of Haywood County based on all my years of living here. I can't tell you how many times I have left work in Canton with temps in the 20's with ice to get home to Maggie Valley and find temps in the mid 40's with just rain. Once you get west of Clyde, the WAA usually erodes the CAD in these type of set ups.

And yet....... I have to say I have rarely seen pretty good model consensus like we have now showing some sort of ice event for the majority of Haywood County. GSP seems fairly bullish as well. It'll be interesting to see how the event plays out.

Yeah my sentiments exactly.  The last big ice storm I saw here was several years ago which it had snowed 4 to 5 inches then changed to freezing rain but the cold air was locked in already.  Also yeah it seems like the models are honing in on Haywood for significant ice for some reason... Honestly I hope we just get rain. I like the power...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

Nice to see you posting also. Was wondering were you have been.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Nice to see you posting also. Was wondering were you have been.

Thank You! Life has been kind of hectic the last year or so and limited my social media participation, but glad to be able to get back here. I always enjoy the level headed discussions and insights found here in the mountain forum.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

55 here at the house under sunshine. Skiers are checking out early because of this ice threat. It's either going to be an epic bust or a forecasting coup. One has to wonder if the events in Texas and along the Northern Gul States influenced things a tad?

In their 3 PM update GSP is still sticking to their guns for us getting ice. They are the pros but it's hard to ditch over 40 years of life experience in these parts.

• Like 2

55 here at the house under sunshine. Skiers are checking out early because of this ice threat. It's either going to be an epic bust or a forecasting coup. One has to wonder if the events in Texas and along the Northern Gul States influenced things a tad?

I am on of those “visitors” - hard to bail listening to you guys.
Hard to ignore the pros.
Going to get lift ticket for the night runs...

. Pro
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

Same here! It is actually a dang beautiful day today.

36/24 at the house. Made it briefly to 38 but headed back down now. The early morning clouds really slowed things down. Car says 33 sitting in full sun in Newland.

Looks like we're gonna have clear skies for a bit after sunset. Will give some good radiational cooling time before the clouds roll in.

1 minute ago, Tyler Penland said:

36/24 at the house. Made it briefly to 38 but headed back down now. The early morning clouds really slowed things down. Car says 33 sitting in full sun in Newland.

Looks like we're gonna have clear skies for a bit after sunset. Will give some good radiational cooling time before the clouds roll in.

Yeah yall should get hammered up that way.

2 minutes ago, BretWx said:

Me too. I cannot recall ever seeing that much ice forecasted especially along the escarpment. It would be devastating 

Me neither. The last real ice storm I even remember for Central to West Buncombe was in 1996. Huge ice storm with 4 inches of ice cold powder on top. Otherwise, we have had tree toppers and bridge icers. 

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic