Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

1 hour ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Freezing fog and 31 here currently. Feel like my back deck has turned into the old Pinebridge Ice skating rink that use to be nearby in Spruce Pine. Looks like it gets even icier after dark through tomorrow. 

That brings back some memories.  Saw the Charlie Daniels band there back in the day.  \nn/

• Like 1

Question for those of you who live in this area...

I am heading up on Tuesday night to ski Wednesday and Thursday.

What am I heading into?

. Pro

Where are you heading? I don't know about cataloochie and Beech, but here in Wolf the ski conditions are okay... there's a 26-68" base. It's turning granular though on the top.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Question for those of you who live in this area...

I am heading up on Tuesday night to ski Wednesday and Thursday.

What am I heading into?

. Pro

I skied Friday at Cataloochee.  Foggy with temps in the 30s.  Conditions were great in my opinion - “mashed potatoes” with no ice. Can’t predict this week, but it was one of my favorite days this year because the lack of any icy spots allows for worry-free skiing. 

25 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

We get about 3xs the precipitation as y'all do.

Lol no, that would mean you get 240 inches of rain per year. We have had close to 100 inches the past 2 years in a row and since 2013 we have been above 80 pretty much every year like clockwork.

And we get about 3x as many CAD/fog events where you are sunny and warmer. 

Hey y'all, I was wondering if aside from your own gauges, if there was a website or other resource for WNC localities that listed rainfall totals each year? I feel like I always end up playing Google-fu for far too long trying to find it for Pisgah Forest/Brevard, and perhaps it's as easy as NOAA and my search terms are failing me, but alas. 

Friends who aren't locals are often incredulous that it rains as much as it does here, and I like to have the stats to back it up. ;)

Hey y'all, I was wondering if aside from your own gauges, if there was a website or other resource for WNC localities that listed rainfall totals each year? I feel like I always end up playing Google-fu for far too long trying to find it for Pisgah Forest/Brevard, and perhaps it's as easy as NOAA and my search terms are failing me, but alas. 

Friends who aren't locals are often incredulous that it rains as much as it does here, and I like to have the stats to back it up. 
Cocorahs is probably your best bet.

https://www.cocorahs.org/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• jburns unpinned this topic