• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

As with most events we talk a lot about populated areas (because its where we live) but who wants to throw down where you think the highest totals will be (factor in backend NW flow snow)? 
I'm liking the southern end of the Great Balsams but also could see Mt LeConte push past everyone with their last minute light accumulations Sunday morning. 
It's hard to go against Mt. Mitchell for me. I get more NWF that Mitchell here, but I have a feeling it'll do well enough on the front end to beat Leconte, even with the nwf.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Models have sucked today, short range, medium range, long range, range rover, anything with range, sucked. 

Yep, we went to 6 inches or more tomorrow night to less than an inch here and to cold rain all next weekend. Absolutely depressing day of model runs

Just now, wncsnow said:

Yep, we went to 6 inches or more tomorrow night to less than an inch here and to cold rain all next weekend. Absolutely depressing day of model runs

NWS has upped the WSW area to 3-6 inches. They may have access to something other than these crappy models. Maybe the GFS will have something positive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

As GSP just expands the watch and ups totals. 

Morristown has also put up a WSW calling for 3-6 inches mountains and 1-3 valley locations. In situations like this, I think it's important to look at what the mets are seeing region wide.

Yes, the models today have been concerning, but models in general right now seem to be a hot mess with wild run to run fluctuations short and long term. I'm still optimistic for this system and I think many in WNC will be happy by Sunday morning.

• Like 3

Morristown has also put up a WSW calling for 3-6 inches mountains and 1-3 valley locations. In situations like this, I think it's important to look at what the mets are seeing region wide.
Yes, the models today have been concerning, but models in general right now seem to be a hot mess with wild run to run fluctuations short and long term. I'm still optimistic for this system and I think many in WNC will be happy by Sunday morning.

I have 4" in my nws forecast from gsp. 1/4 mile away from here the forecast is for 6" from mrx. I'm good either way.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been following the ups and downs today, seems like deja vu with my lurking the past few years, watching the overnight models trend badly the next day. Probably a whole lot of confirmation bias there though. 

Apologies for the IMBY comment, but that's what I'm good for when I do chime in ;) — I'm just hoping for more than a dusting here, too many teases this winter. Some winters we get pounded here in the southern mountains near the escarpment, and others it seems like NWFS dominates and we get flurries. So far this has been the latter—the kind of winters I remember in school in the late 90s. All the northern counties getting snow days, me huffing and puffing and hitting the books. :lol:

Anyway, good luck everyone! Hopefully the models come in a little better for all of us overnight. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I agree. I think it might end up being a number 2 on the SnoJoe scale:

1.  1-2 inches = Nickels and dimes
  2.  2-4 inches = Ok, I guess. What's for dinner?
  3.  4-6 inches = Decent
  4.  6+ inches = A good snow

Down in the valley, I will put the 2-4 in the good snow category. :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Down in the valley, I will put the 2-4 in the good snow category. :lol:

My scale is a little on the high side!:)

5 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

That scale pretty much matches up with mine Joe lol. I'm hoping for a decent event for my area, be good to get some pics from my wife of the dogs playing in the snow.

You'll die if this thing gets super amped and drops a foot!

3 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

True down this way

You've been so close this year. You'll get yours when that monster Kraken rolls through in a couple of weeks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

My scale is a little on the high side!:)

You'll die if this thing gets super amped and drops a foot!

You've been so close this year. You'll get yours when that monster Kraken rolls through in a couple of weeks.

Ha, I won't be home to enjoy.  Up in Bluefield and a foot up here does me no good except keeping me in the hotel :lol:

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic