Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

3 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

I actually think it’s my pilot igniter assembly. I’ve purged per directions and can hear/smell gas while trying to light it and will occasionally get a spark but it’s not consistent in doing so.  Just need to bite the bullet and have them come service them as it does give us back up heat if we lose power or the heat pump stops working like the other week (dang fuse I didn’t even know existed on the handler unit popped).

Can you get it to light at all?  In other words, can you get it to light while your pushing the pilot knob in but it goes out when you let it go?  If it does that get some steel wool and clean the tip of the thermocouple.  Thats the thing that looks like the end of a knitting needle pointing straight up that is in the pilot flame when it is lit.  It eventually gets coated with enough carbon that it insulates the thermocouple and it doesn’t get hot enough to open the gas valve.  I have to clean mine every couple of years.

• Like 3

Just now, jburns said:

Can you get it to light at all?  In other words, can you get it to light while your pushing the pilot knob in but it goes out when you let it go?  If it does that get some steel wool and clean the tip of the thermocouple.  Thats the thing that looks like the end of a knitting needle pointing straight up that is in the pilot flame when it is lit.  It eventually gets coated with enough carbon that it insulates the thermocouple and it doesn’t get hot enough to open the gas valve.  I have to clean mine every couple of years.

I could only get a spark out of the igniter occasionally when I had all the logs off trying to diagnose what was going on.  I did clean the thermocouple off a little because I know about the carbon build up (had to deal with that on a part in my furnace in my house in CLT) but didn’t have any steel wool to do so and was unable. Rush anyway, I can’t even remember what I used.  I did get it to about light after that but I just saw a flash of blue flame and then it went out, then no more spark.  So you saying that reminds me what I had meant to do last week while off work, clean that off better 

The highlands are an awesome place.  Was up there mid-June one year and it barely got to 40 overnight.  Had ponies running on the AT by my camp and woke up to a doe and dawn behind my tents. Great pic!
Yeah I love it up there. Going in the snow was on my bucket list for a long time. Felt like being on another planet. We were the only people who made it more than a hundred yards yesterday, probably due to the winds through Massie. My buddy and I legit had to grab each other to stay upright on multiple occasions and he kept me from falling off a rock at one point. Made it to Rhododendron Gap before turning around. The constant guessing game of "is this snow 4" or 3ft deep" was hard on the knees, though.

Here's a couple more photos.
2ae0afaf74a90f2371370dc8b57e87f7.jpg1c447be2ecc75105ac6be448a45aadb0.jpg
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Yeah I love it up there. Going in the snow was on my bucket list for a long time. Felt like being on another planet. We were the only people who made it more than a hundred yards yesterday, probably due to the winds through Massie. My buddy and I legit had to grab each other to stay upright on multiple occasions and he kept me from falling off a rock at one point. Made it to Rhododendron Gap before turning around. The constant guessing game of "is this snow 4" or 3ft deep" was hard on the knees, though.

Here's a couple more photos.

Absolutely gorgeous photos, @Tyler Penland.  I love the pony pic in the snow, as well as the one you posted yesterday.  Thanks for sharing.

I can actually see what color my truck is for the first time in a week so I’m assuming it only rained here as well last night. Man, I was honestly surprised to see what the models were showing this morning, put a smile on my face for sure, and considering it’s tomorrow, I like our chances.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Anybody around Candler/Asheville better back off on the accelerator. Temps dropped to 31 with a freezing mist. My wife about slid all the way off the road. Nothing worse than black ice. 

Yeah I was very surprised that schools were not on a delay this morning.  I ran into several spots with black ice...

• jburns unpinned this topic