• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Just took a wonderful snow hike and found some semi-protected areas with 8 inch totals so that's what I'm going with. Also found some 3 and 4 foot drifts. Snow was almost chest high in a creek bed near my house where the wind filled it up. Still light snow and cold. A great winter day!

I'm going to head up and see how much is up on top of Big Bald this afternoon. It's 1100' higher than my house. I'm betting there are some monster drifts up there. 

And I need to check how much is on my patio, it's protected by my house and a hillside. It's just a booger to get down the rock steps in deep snow. My board is 100% unprotected...perhaps I should move it. Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Skyway entrance is several miles from my home..The Cherohala Skyway is NC 143W that runs from Robbinsville NC to Tellico TN..It is a state maintained road.

The NCDOT does not close roads due to weather.  The weather may close the roads due to floods,landslides,etc but state government will not.

It's totally different than National Park roads which close due to weather.  Those roads are not for commerce traffic.  State roads are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The snow finally stopped about 10 minutes ago. I have 9.75" on my board but I think this was a better flow event than 12/1 even though I had slightly more on the board. The drifts testify that we got more, but who knows.

Hey@MotoWeatherman how much did Beech get?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I really appreciate all the pictures everyone has posted so far this winter. Absolutely beautiful :wub:  

I’m sorry I haven’t posted any pics.  Here is the snowman I built by saving every flake I have seen so far this winter in my freezer. 

standard.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Buckethead said:

The snow finally stopped about 10 minutes ago. I have 9.75" on my board but I think this was a better flow event than 12/1 even though I had slightly more on the board. The drifts testify that we got more, but who knows.

Hey@MotoWeatherman how much did Beech get?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I feel comfortable saying 6-8 inches.  At my location the winds really whip and blow the snow so it makes it difficult to find a good spot to get a solid measurement.  Lol.  Went to bed with about 2-3 so overnight was a big plus.  Maybe picked up another inch during the daylight hours.  Skied sugar mtn this after and you would never had know it snow up top as it was a solid sheet of ice with 40+mph winds.  The lower half of the mountain was decent though. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

I feel comfortable saying 6-8 inches.  At my location the winds really whip and blow the snow so it makes it difficult to find a good spot to get a solid measurement.  Lol.  Went to bed with about 2-3 so overnight was a big plus.  Maybe picked up another inch during the daylight hours.  Skied sugar mtn this after and you would never had know it snow up top as it was a solid sheet of ice with 40+mph winds.  The lower half of the mountain was decent though. 

Yeah 6-8 seems about right.  Maybe closer to 6 where I am. It was still going to some degree when I left this afternoon.  I was surprised. 

I also got stuck on the BMP trying to leave as they had to shut it down for 90 minutes to clean up a bad wreck. It was pretty dicey out there today. Thankfully it was a Tuesday. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I still say we're going to pull off a big storm for all sometime this month. This is a different winter this year so I expect a different ending to it.

I agree and I know us SW mountain folk are craving something more than a few inches.  Otherwise I’m moving to some Wyoming foothills or mountains sooner rather than later :lol: 

• Like 4

• jburns unpinned this topic