• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Well we have the freezing fog this morning! It's pretty neat. We are covered in this thick cloud and its 20 degrees. Also there is like this diamond dust thats falling here at the house. So we have a thick coating of ice fog on everything.  Wish I could get a pic when the sun breaks but ill be asleep. 

• Like 3

Wx Twitter this morning has been fun to follow. Someone out of Canton inside the city limits posted this pic.

@Met1985, this is likely the evergreen plant providing just enough moisture to create a heavy diamond dust or light snow event for this person's yard (Evan Fisher's theory and I think it sticks). Diamond dust was falling in downtown Asheville as well. 

1_13_21.thumb.jpg.3329e6bea29181e1742505b6b7867a36.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

Wx Twitter this morning has been fun to follow. Someone out of Canton inside the city limits posted this pic.

@Met1985, this is likely the evergreen plant providing just enough moisture to create a heavy diamond dust or light snow event for this person's yard (Evan Fisher's theory and I think it sticks). Diamond dust was falling in downtown Asheville as well. 

1_13_21.thumb.jpg.3329e6bea29181e1742505b6b7867a36.jpg

Yep I have seen this a lot actually being from here. It is a neat phenomenon and the conditions have to be just right. 

Looks like we are on tap for cold and snow in the mountains this weekend.  Life is good. 
Good, I got a buddy from Columbia coming up this weekend with his son to ski. Looks like a good weekend is coming hopefully. And I need some fresh snow to cover the ice. The snow from the past week is really hanging on up here, which has led to lots of ice of the eastern slopes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Probably off topic but does anyone know how many days the mountains (Beech) has had snowcover? I check the webcam up there a lot and it seems they have had snow on the ground for the last month.  
I run instacart grocery up there a good bit and it has been a long time since I wasn't trudging through ice.

We're liable to go 2 weeks at my house or more with the way the pattern looks. Still several inches from last Friday in the shady spots.

1 hour ago, weatherlover said:

Probably off topic but does anyone know how many days the mountains (Beech) has had snowcover? I check the webcam up there a lot and it seems they have had snow on the ground for the last month.  

I know I've had snow on the ground since before Christmas eve on Beech.  But I'm almost 1k feet below the Beech summit so who knows way up there.

2 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

I know I've had snow on the ground since before Christmas eve on Beech.  But I'm almost 1k feet below the Beech summit so who knows way up there.

Old snow is nasty and hard. I like to start with a fresh, barren landscape and watch it transform into a winter oasis of fluff. 

• Like 3

Coming up to Boone/Blowing Rock area tomorrow with the kids to do some sledding!  Does anyone have any ideas where a good place to take the kids sledding is that won’t be as crowded?  Not a pay to sled place just a good hill somewhere for a 5 year old and 3 year old.  Thanks for any info!

• Like 1

Coming up to Boone/Blowing Rock area tomorrow with the kids to do some sledding!  Does anyone have any ideas where a good place to take the kids sledding is that won’t be as crowded?  Not a pay to sled place just a good hill somewhere for a 5 year old and 3 year old.  Thanks for any info!
Everything is gonna be packed out on a Saturday. If you go either early or later in the day the Parkway Maintenance building where 221 and the Parkway meet outside blowing rock is a good place. Multiple hill options. It'll be crowded for most of the day, though.
  • Like 1