• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Let me speak to the Asheville snowhole. Every year it is talked about, but Asheville and Buncombe County still average more snow than roughly 93 of the 100 counties in North Carolina. It is talked about like it is Southern Pines or something. Most North Carolina people except you high elevation guys would take Asheville snowfall. 

It does exist. That can't be denied. This high mountain ranges are powerful. But sometimes the models exaggerate the effect.  

Why do I care?? I don't know, lol. We are on this site talking about snow. We are all a little weird,lol. At the end of the day, it is not important, but yet here I am. 

• Like 6

Just now, ncjoaquin said:

Let me speak to the Asheville snowhole. Every year it is talked about, but Asheville and Buncombe County still average more snow than roughly 93 of the 100 counties in North Carolina. It is talked about like it is Southern Pines or something. Most North Carolina people except you high elevation guys would take Asheville snowfall. 

It does exist. That can't be denied. This high mountain ranges are powerful. But sometimes the models exaggerate the effect.  

Why do I care?? I don't know, lol. We are on this site talking about snow. We are all a little weird,lol. At the end of the day, it is not important, but yet here I am. 

Good perspective. And it’s not just related to snow. It’s pretty dry relatively speaking in yearly precip. 

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Its almost nowcast time really. We can look at the models all we want but almost all of them have been all over the place. If all the models trend way back then I think this is a trend. We will see how the noon models come out and the new Euro. 

Lets light this candle then. MESCO

850mb.gif?1610030938612

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

20.8°F down the way in Waynesville 

One thing I noticed is that we had what appeared to be rime ice everywhere this morning.  There was ice all over the trees and the tops of bushes. Looking out over Haywood you can see some fog that has not lifted yet and of course Canton makes there own weather with the mill.

Just now, Met1985 said:

One thing I noticed is that we had what appeared to be rime ice everywhere this morning.  There was ice all over the trees and the tops of bushes. Looking out over Haywood you can see some fog that has not lifted yet and of course Canton makes there own weather with the mill.

i noticed that as well. I drove 74 to Asheville this morning around 730a and going nearby Clyde (Jones Cove exit) the mill effect was in full swing, fog/low clouds much thicker than back in Waynesville and cleared right up once we drove past Exit 32, temp at 25°F. 

• Like 1

Just noticed the 3K does something odd throughout the storm. It tries to depict rain falling in many areas of the Lee, despite the sounding being snow. Could explain the big shift in totals. Not saying it should be thrown out but that would certainly explain the weird cut off in some areas that did well in previous runs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Local Yokel Wx said:

i noticed that as well. I drove 74 to Asheville this morning around 730a and going nearby Clyde (Jones Cove exit) the mill effect was in full swing, fog/low clouds much thicker than back in Waynesville and cleared right up once we drove past Exit 32, temp at 25°F. 

Yeah its crazy how that happens.  The micro climates in different parts of Haywood fascinates me.

• Like 2

Just now, Met1985 said:

Yeah its crazy how that happens.  The micro climates in different parts of Haywood fascinates me.

I'm right there with ya. The evergreen plant impact is more noticeable, but my favorite is the Jackson Paper Mill in Sylva. I lived downtown about the Coffee Shop for years and would always notice its extremely small impact up and down Downtown and up Skyland a few miles at times. 

I'll have to dig up some pictures i took of the stack extending over downtown or feeding a larger cloud/fog. 

• Like 1

Morning folks, gonna be living vicariously through you for a bit. As 85 said above it’s about nowcast time. Models are going to do strange model things. The bottom line is a decent snow is upon the doorsteps for a bunch of you. As you know by now with any event there are always winners & losers. OBS from downstream this am is that there was very little convective aspects & what there was was out in the gulf. We are right in line with our qpf totals matching what MOB called for. Strap in and enjoy the ride!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

I'm right there with ya. The evergreen plant impact is more noticeable, but my favorite is the Jackson Paper Mill in Sylva. I lived downtown about the Coffee Shop for years and would always notice its extremely small impact up and down Downtown and up Skyland a few miles at times. 

I'll have to dig up some pictures i took of the stack extending over downtown or feeding a larger cloud/fog. 

Yeah that would be awesome! Especially the way Sylva just sits at the bottom of the valley. 

1 minute ago, NavarreDon said:

Morning folks, gonna be living vicariously through you for a bit. As 85 said above it’s about nowcast time. Models are going to do strange model things. The bottom line is a decent snow is upon the doorsteps for a bunch of you. As you know by now with any event there are always winners & losers. OBS from downstream this am is that there was very little convective aspects & what there was was out in the gulf. We are right in line with our qpf totals matching what MOB called for. Strap in and enjoy the ride!

Nice Don! We will post lots of pics and im sure our mountain crew will be on it. I know I've said it before but our community here has really grown.  Im proud to be apart of events like this with this group.  We have our differences but we manage those in the utmost respectful way. I hope we all get waxed!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

I live out past Cruso almost to where 276 starts climbing up the mountain. I swear the temp falls 5 degrees right after you pass Springdale golf course

• Like 3