Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

3 hours ago, wncsnow said:

I went up to Spruce Pine earlier and was surprised by how much snow was still on the roads. It was 28 in Marion and 16 in Grassy Creek. 

Just got back in from being down in Marion with family. Roads were fine until you get to wal mart in spruce pine then it was solid sheet of ice and snow all the way home. 226 and my secondary road. 

Got a tempest weather station yesterday as a gift and couldn’t stand the thought of waiting until today to get it operational. Glad I did! I’ve always thought our neighborhood was a much cooler spot and I was able to confirm it. We bottomed out at 13.6 degrees while the closest other station dipped only to 17.

On a side note, if any of you have a good or bad experience with station siting, let me know. I’ll never get a totally clean wind fetch at my location so I think I’m going to aim for 4-5 above ground with either PVC or a steel pipe. Thought about a roof mount but like the ground accessibility better. 

• Like 3

Got a tempest weather station yesterday as a gift and couldn’t stand the thought of waiting until today to get it operational. Glad I did! I’ve always thought our neighborhood was a much cooler spot and I was able to confirm it. We bottomed out at 13.6 degrees while the closest other station dipped only to 17.
On a side note, if any of you have a good or bad experience with station siting, let me know. I’ll never get a totally clean wind fetch at my location so I think I’m going to aim for 4-5 above ground with either PVC or a steel pipe. Thought about a roof mount but like the ground accessibility better. 

I used a steel pipe. Works great.
8430ac6931737a306a37394756200843.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

Go with the steel pipe.

I have one mounted roof level at 34’ and a second one in the back area at 10’

• Like 2